Top things to buy at Costco?

From what I’ve gathered talking to my relatives, meat, cheese, fruit, and yogurt all seem to be better choices when compared to buying at Wellcome or Jason’s. Just not sure about keeping large quantities around for fear of them going bad. I guess we can freeze some things as well, but my freezer isn’t so big.

What are your go-to items when you shop at Costco?

Italian cheeses, Tabasco, avocados, coffee, pecans.

1. Cheese
  2. Toilet paper
  3. Kitchen stuff -pots, pans, plates, oven, water bottles, whatevers

[quote=“Icon”]1. Cheese
2. Toilet paper
3. Kitchen stuff -pots, pans, plates, oven, water bottles, whatevers[/quote]

Good idea about the kitchen stuff. We’re looking at new refrigerators at the moment so will see what they have available.

I had a Costco card back in my single days and it didn’t really make sense to buy stuff there since the portions are so large. Also, I went like one time in 12 months. Now that there’s more of us under the same roof, I’m going to give it a shot again to see if there are any savings to be had.

The advantage they have over others is their Western style return policies and guarantees. No hassle.

OTOH, they also carry US style washing machines and dryers and stuff. Fridge-wise, I am in love with an EcoNavi Panasonic 4 doors, but if I could get a Hitachi or Mitsubishi model of such, that would be the greatest joy.

I visit twice a month… must stop…

[quote=“Icon”]The advantage they have over others is their Western style return policies and guarantees. No hassle.

OTOH, they also carry US style washing machines and dryers and stuff. Fridge-wise, I am in love with an EcoNavi Panasonic 4 doors, but if I could get a Hitachi or Mitsubishi model of such, that would be the greatest joy.

I visit twice a month… must stop…[/quote]

Thanks for the head’s up. I’ll check out what they have. Twice a month? Please don’t tell me you go on the weekends…Costco must be an absolute madhouse then. Slow time of year for me at work now so I’m heading there tomorrow. Hope it’s not too busy!

It was nice knowing you. Who’s your next of kin? If none, name me for the insurance!

ps.
I am not a fan of the veggies there. I mean, I am not going to pay 400 ntd for a box with 40 cherry tomatoes, hell, no! But I do fork out 500 ntd for a bag of 5 avocados…

ps.2
Check out the packed meals, after the meat counter, before the rotisserie chicken.

Bagels (blueberry flavor and cheese flavor are awesome). They freeze well and defrost fast. If you have a toaster, they are perfect midnight snack food.

Also those 100-packs of single-serving butter. Freeze the lot and just keep a handful in the fridge for immediate use.

[quote=“Icon”]It was nice knowing you. Who’s your next of kin? If none, name me for the insurance!

ps.
I am not a fan of the veggies there. I mean, I am not going to pay 400 ntd for a box with 40 cherry tomatoes, hell, no! But I do fork out 500 ntd for a bag of 5 avocados…

ps.2
Check out the packed meals, after the meat counter, before the rotisserie chicken.[/quote]

Yeah, avocados are great. How does Costco’s price compare with local market? I have been scoping out a lot more avocado recipes lately. Taiwan has these huge ass ones but my wife says they don’t taste the same as ones from overseas.

[quote=“monkey”]Bagels (blueberry flavor and cheese flavor are awesome). They freeze well and defrost fast. If you have a toaster, they are perfect midnight snack food.

Also those 100-packs of single-serving butter. Freeze the lot and just keep a handful in the fridge for immediate use.[/quote]

Nice tip! Like serving yourself a little continental breakfast every morning.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“Icon”]It was nice knowing you. Who’s your next of kin? If none, name me for the insurance!

ps.

ps.2
Check out the packed meals, after the meat counter, before the rotisserie chicken.[/quote]

Yeah, avocados are great. How does Costco’s price compare with local market? I have been scoping out a lot more avocado recipes lately. Taiwan has these huge ass ones but my wife says they don’t taste the same as ones from overseas.

[quote=“monkey”]Bagels (blueberry flavor and cheese flavor are awesome). They freeze well and defrost fast. If you have a toaster, they are perfect midnight snack food.

Also those 100-packs of single-serving butter. Freeze the lot and just keep a handful in the fridge for immediate use.[/quote]

Nice tip! Like serving yourself a little continental breakfast every morning.[/quote]

Tip No.2: The cheese or plain bagels can also be made into “mini pizzas” by part-toasting 2 bagel halves, then piling cheese on top (sharp cheddar works well), sprinkling with mixed Italian herbs, and then finishing the toasting. I try to pull them out of the toaster before the cheese boils and spills off the bagels making a mess.

Takes five minutes tops.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Costco Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2017 Costco Thread

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Costco Thread