Transasia Airlines Crash

It seems that 48 people have perished in an accident involving an ATR-72 aircraft operated by Transasia Airlines. The accident happened in PengHu where the aircraft appeared to be executing a go-around. Numbers are vague, but it says 7 (or 8) people have survived and have been sent to hospital. The news is insinuating that the rest of the passengers and crew are unaccounted for. 55 were on board on an aircraft which carries about 75 passengers. It’s a hull loss involving extensive fire damage. Let’s hope it’s not as serious as the news is initially reporting.

Latest confirmed numbers: 51 dead, 7 injured. The plane was an ATR-72 carrying 54 passengers and 4 crew members.

Flight GE222 was scheduled to take off from Kaohsiung at 5:00 but was delayed to 5:43. Flight time was likely around 35 minutes, but it had to do a go-around before landing, which apparently lasted quite a while. The crash occurred at around 7:00.

That’s about all we know here.

Pictures of crash -big fireball, buildings destroyed, now on the TV news.

On another channel it says 1 dead, 11 alive, 46 being ‘rescued’.
Usual Taiwanese logic which mystifies me!

Idiots allowed planes to take off in the middle of a typhoon.

A lot of confusion in the Media changing their reporting constantly. Nothing seems "confirmed’ yet.
Dark - different witnesses … Let’s hope for the best.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]On another channel it says 1 dead, 11 alive, 46 being ‘rescued’.
Usual Taiwanese logic which mystifies me!

Idiots allowed planes to take off in the middle of a typhoon.[/quote]

Yes, work is canceled islandwide and they are flying airplanes. This is a tragedy though.

Since noon all traffic, air and land, was normalized. Penghu is further from affected area, I am not even sure they had the day off.

Plane was full due to summer vacation. Pilot 60 years old, very experienced.

Penghu officials say 47 dead, 11 survived.

Airline confirms one dead, 11 rescued, 46 unknown fate.

Atmospheric meteorological conditions affect a large area after a typhoon has passed through, the air being very unstable and turbulent. I would put money on this being vertical wind shear - it looks like a classic example already, although of course we won’t know for certain for some time.

CNN report right now.

Conflicting reports. CAA head says condition of “54” people unknown. She meant 58.

Anybody else seem the extremely hysterical woman on the news throwing a tantrum on the floor?

Holly cow.

Everywhere had closures announced for all day today. However, transportation personnel are specifically exempted from closures. (“transportation, police, fire department, coast guard, medical … when natural disasters occur work cancellation does not apply.”)

Everywhere had closures announced for all day today. However, transportation personnel are specifically exempted from closures. (“transportation, police, fire department, coast guard, medical … when natural disasters occur work cancellation does not apply.”)[/quote]

Speaking of which (off-topic), I walked to Subway in the rain today to find it closed. :frowning:

[quote=“Icon”]Since noon all traffic, air and land, was normalized. Penghu is further from affected area, I am not even sure they had the day off.

Airline confirms one dead, 11 rescued, 46 unknown fate.[/quote]

Penghu was closer to the affected area if we check the map, in fact it seems to have been well within range of the typhoon’s severe weather. The plane took off around 7pm. Even I know that landing and taking off is the most dangerous part of the flight. Somebody should hang for this.
cwb.gov.tw/V7/prevent/warning/B20.htm?

Confirmed: Transport minister says 47 dead, 11 injured when GE 222 Kaohsiung-Penghu crashes outside Magong airport at 7 pm

[quote]Anybody else seem the extremely hysterical woman on the news throwing a tantrum on the floor?
[/quote]

Her daughter was allegedly on the aircraft.

Went to Yahoo news and CNN. Both are reporting the crash. Made the mistake of reading the comments. What is wrong with people??? Sick stupid idiotic comments! No heart at all.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“Icon”]Since noon all traffic, air and land, was normalized. Penghu is further from affected area, I am not even sure they had the day off.

Airline confirms one dead, 11 rescued, 46 unknown fate.[/quote]

Penghu was closer to the affected area if we check the map, in fact it seems to have been well within range of the typhoon’s severe weather. The plane took off around 7pm. Even I know that landing and taking off is the most dangerous part of the flight. Somebody should hang for this.
cwb.gov.tw/V7/prevent/warning/B20.htm?[/quote]

Yep, forgot about the friggin northwest winds or whatever they call them.

CNN says no data on flying weather at Penghu. As long as they had equipment for microbursts…

rt.com/news/175008-taiwan-plane-crash-transasia/

“TransAsia Airways’ GE222 flight was en-route from from Kaohsiung Siaogang Airport to Penghu’s Magong Airport when it made an emergency landing in Taiwan.”

Apparently, Taiwan is located between Kaohsiung and Penghu. Way to go, Russia Today!