Transasia Airlines Crash

Eva Air and Far Eastern made uneventful landings prior to Taransasia’s attempt.

Doesn’t mean anything though, obviously they were just playing the odds.

[quote=“Bernadette”][quote]Anybody else seem the extremely hysterical woman on the news throwing a tantrum on the floor?
[/quote]

Her daughter was allegedly on the aircraft.[/quote]

Taiwan media is a disgusting race of swine. In fact, I think the pigs should be the farmers. :fume:

Watching them, by the dozens, shove their cameras into the faces of distraught family members (including children) is sick, inhumane behavior.

This industry, and the culture that enables it, has mountains, not hills, to climb.

T

if you use the radar from CWB:
cwb.gov.tw/V7e/observe/radar … htm?type=0
and look carefully at the situation in PengHu at 19:00
It’s RED ! that is heavy rain.

So, Apple is talking about 4 crew members, 54 passengers.

One hopes the mom’s daughter is at the hospital.

[quote=“Icon”]

One hopes the mom’s daughter is at the hospital.[/quote]

That seems to be confirmed. Daughter might have survived.

4 kids among the dead though.

Any word on whether or not those houses the plane squashed were occupied at the time?

Television news reported that the hysterical mother’s daughter indeed survived. I feel horrible for the loved ones of those who weren’t so lucky. A sudden death really is such a sad thing for those left behind. Hope the airline will take care of them with at least some form of financial compensation, not that it really is the airline’s fault. Really, it’s the weather’s fault, but if flights were always cancelled due to the possibility of heavy rain, passengers would complain.

Better to have dissatisfied customers than dead ones I’d say.

aviation-safety.net/database/rec … 20140723-0

To Taiwan’s credit, this is the first crash in a long time. But when will they ever learn? Respect typhoons. Close all Taiwan airports for a longer period and to a stricter standard when typhoons are about. The ATR is an aircraft that doesn’t take bad weather well in the first place. And Penghu is known for high winds even at the best of times.

The EVA and FAT planes that landed safely, were they jets?

Jets take winds better then the props do.

Even so, whats wrong with closing the airports for a day instead of a few hours.

Save lives. Stop typhoon flying.

So, sorry if it’s been said and I didn’t read it… but, why exactly has the plane crashed? due to rain and bad visibility? is the reason even known already?

As far as I remember, Penghu can’t land jets.

New news: the plane started service only in May 2014, probably a recent delivery.

Heard there were two French on board ?

We flew to and from Penghu a few weeks ago. On a jet.

Terrible, terrible news.

[quote=“ceevee369”]As far as I remember, Penghu can’t land jets.

New news: the plane started service only in May 2014, probably a recent delivery.

Heard there were two French on board ?[/quote]

Penghu lands jets regularly. 737s fly there and so do the Embraer and MD ones. The one and only time iv been there was on a 737. Its a windy airport at the best of times and considered a bit challenging to land at.

The accident aircraft made one landing attempt and the pilot went for a go around. It then crashed.

Go arounds are not done with the frequency that they used to be done and many pilots are not as well versed as they should be on go arounds. There’s a lot that needs to get done right and right away for the aircraft to regain stable flight and come around for another landing. Not saying that is the case here, the plane could’ve run into a storm cell and severe downdraft at a critical , low to the ground , moment.

CAL lost an Airbus A300 at TPE on a go around (coming from Bali) that was not successful. The plane failed to regain stable flight and veered off to buildings not far from the runway.

Transasia had an event last year also involving an AT72. Fingers pointed to an under-qualified crew in that incident.

Reports that there were 3 foreign nationals on board.

Nonsense. The ATR 72 is a very forgiving aircraft and handles weather well. There are some issues for inexperienced pilots concerning rapid sink when power is retarded, however in all it copes well, hence it’s popular role in short haul commercial routes, especially in northern Europe. .

EVA air (or more specifically, UNI Air) usually fly ATR’s into Penghu, too. FAT only have MD 82’s and 83’s as far as I know.

Uni Air sometimes flies MD90’s into Magong which are jets. Mandarin flies Embraer’s.

This aircraft is 14 years old, not 4 months old.

I have flown the ATR 42 and let me tell you it didn’t handle bad weather well ! Air pockets especially.

I remember me and my cup went down IN A HURRY. So fast the coffee went airborne.

Course this can happen in other planes too. But props like the aTR just ROCK AND ROLL too much for my liking.

But that may just be me. My boss who also flew them had some flights where he mentioned feeling like popcorn in a popcorn machine.

p.s. I thought UNI flies the Dash 8 . Do they have ATR ?

I take that back. They have been changing from the Dash 8 to ATR72
airfleets.net/flottecie/Uni%20Air.htm

According to this the plane was delivered in May of 2014

airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-atr-1145.htm if it is 817

That’s the 42. The 72 is a much better frame.

Uni just bought some new ATR’s - I think they have 10 or so. They have some Dash 8’s, most of which have been replaced - they have 5 or so left I think.

This wasn’t wind. What was left of the typhoon with heavy rain was moving through Penghu at the time. It will be interesting to see the final (or even preliminary) report.

The ATR-72 may “handle weather conditions well” likely means that it can be flown in conditions in which other aircraft of comparable size might not manage to keep (regain) their balance and bearing. But up and down drafts are no fun to experience: i have also been through the kind of elevator situation Tommy describes - that was three years ago, one day after a typhoon, on a flight from Taiwan to Ishigaki Island. Well, we landed without crashing but not without a sick feeling in my stomach thanks to the additional elevator action right above the central hills of Ishigaki, in the midst of heavy clouds, when approaching the airport. Don’t want to know how close we came to hitting something…
Almost all of the relatively few accidents involving an ATR-72 have happened at landing time, and three of them because of unsuitable weather conditions: November 4, 2010, Guasimal (Cuba), October 16, 2013, Pakse (Laos), July 23, 2014, Magong…
:ponder: