Transfer my credits to Universities in Taiwan/Sports

So here’s a 2 part question. A little back story, I left my Univsersity my last year on leave to come back Taiwan to take of my mother who got cancer. I planned to return but ended up doing varies odd jobs and it’s been 3 years since I left. I’m at a point now where I don’t want to go back to the US to finish and was wondering about transferring my credits here. I heard Ming Chuan in Taipei is a good one for that. But I don’t have much info and was wondering if anyone can pitch in. My chinese is good but not Good enough for me to complete University classes so it would have to be able to be taught in English. It may take me 2 years here vs 1 going back to the US, but the cost is just much cheaper and I prefer to be in Taiwan.

2nd question, can I play on the University basketball team? And does Ming Chuan have one? I can’t seem to find any information on that. I am a dual citizen of the ROC and USA so I wonder about my eligibility depending on if I apply as a international student to take English courses or Taiwanese national.

Was hoping someone has some knowledge about this.

Found something on a local forum for transfer

http://forum.fashionguide.com.tw/post_list.php?topic_id=439816

hey 各位水水,

經過漫長的時間,終於收到學校來的email了!
學校說,
1, 如果你是可證明你讀完一年大學(成績單…ect)
你就可以直接申請他們的轉學考,至於轉學考,我大概看了一下,我那個要近的學校要考國文,英文和數學,再加術科!不過術科比例佔較重!
而且他們不管你之前讀什麼科系~
2, 至於學分方面,他說要等你考上了,才看系主任讓你轉多少學分…
其餘水水的問題,學校並沒有確切的回答!
不過,這也向申請國外大學一樣,每所大學要得不同,參考參考吧!!
good luck!

This isn’t MCU specific, but basic info on transferring universities.

Seems like you need to take an entrance exam and see if you “pass”. Once you pass, admissions will then see if your credits are transferable. However, I think you’ll get the most clear answer by asking MCU admissions directly.

http://iee.mcu.edu.tw/en

1 Like

Thanks, looks like I’ll directly contact them for the info.

I wonder if they would transfer credits from a Chinese language major degree earned at a Mainland China university. Or a Chinese language major from a university overseas (eg your home country). Let’s say you taught yourself traditional characters and can read and write as well as you can simplified. But the medium of teaching in the subjects you want to transfer credits from was simplified script. Would they accept this?

So here’s what I was told. After talking on the phone with people that are no help, basically all student helpers or their secretaries I decided to go to their building. Getting there, I find myself only with student helpers working part time or secretaries. I have no idea why I can’t talk to someone who knows exactly and can guide and help me through the process. I was basically given a brochure, told to look on their website for information and call back. No one that was actually in charge was there to help me.

So after refusing to go back without getting some clear answers. The student helper made like 5 phone calls to ask different people. I was basically told this. Unfortunately I can not transfer as a international student, I must transfer as a local student because even though I have US citizenship, I still have my ROC citizenship. So kinda good news and bad. Good because all I have to do to get into the local department is take a test for their English department for locals. So basically there’s no way I can fail :joy: and then I can transfer into the international department instead of taking a test for the international department. So the procedure is harder, but the process is technically easier.

And no one seems to know if I can play sports for their college. But i’m guessing yes.

But throughout the whole process, I never spoke to anyone that was in charge…

“Hey, I’m here to pay money to go to your school and maybe make your basketball team famous because I’m a 180CM monster at ballin”

Universities in the states would be crawling all over you to come and make you pay the ridiculous application fee to apply to their school.

Seems like the opposite in Taiwan or at MCU.

Have you considered a different university? Or set on MCU?

I think I will check out at least another school. I think NCCU is known for international college programs as well. But the reason I picked Ming Chuan is because their campus in right at the Tainmu/Shilin area where I work and where most of my client I coach are. So i can still easily work part time and get some income while I finish school.