Translation headaches

There is a Solution function? :ok: I :white_check_mark: that. So :cool:.

Just use that old standby: the so-called Glass Bridge…

1 Like

Hey! I am what passes around here as real translaytorlator. At least that is my so called job title.

As to Hansioux proposal, he actually has knowledge about the bridge. And the explanation is right. Funciona!

Puente colgante liuli adornado con cuentas de vidrio aborígenes y con una porción en el centro forjada en vidrio transparente.

No es en serio lo de usar este nombre.

Honestly I have more issues with the Glass Balls and Glass Bridge. And that is real gummit website. Someone was paid a lotta dough to hire a translator…At 1NTD a word while they kept the rest. Monkeys peanuts and all that jazz.

not all slices has to be an arc sector.

I would still call these slices of cake.

Fine, a strip would have been a better word choice…

1 Like

I believe the correct term here is “parquet.”

too French. I believe those should be called liberty strips.

3 Likes

Too Norman. Anglo-Saxon freedom strips, man! :grin:

It takes balls to be a translator, glass balls.

that’s beary funny…:bear:

1 Like

In other news,

Parents, spouses and children of foreign professionals in other countries can apply for a visitor visa valid for one year, and the maximum time they can stay in Taiwan for each visa is six months, according to the new provisions.

OK, so my Mom can apply for a one year visa but stay only six months? George, you are killing me.

I think by “valid for one year” they mean you can start using it any time during the year after you obtain it.

Isn’t there a clearer way to say it or is my Englishee faltering?

It seems to be standard bureaucratese for that type of thing. Being clear isn’t the point, unfortunately.

1 Like

So, a visa is an entry permit. If it’s a multiple entry, you can use the visa to visit taiwan as often as you like while it is valid, though the cumulative length of stay should be six months or shorter.

It is clear for me, or I just got used to that kind of phrase.

2 Likes

You are used to it. Are you working for the gummit too?

Not exactly.

If you once or twice read visa & ARC instructions and related FAQs at NIA site, you’ll get used to it.