Travel to China after becoming naturalised in Taiwan?

Sorry, I do not have the time to read through all 23 Articles…can you point me to the exact Article where it states we do not have to give up our Original Nationality before we can become Taiwan Nationals?? Are you referring to Article 9?? “Foreign nationals applying for naturalization shall provide a certificate of loss of original nationality within one year from the day of approval of naturalization”

I went through the exact process myself and had to give up my Original Nationality first and then I became a Taiwan National…I believe you’re getting confused between a Quasi-Naturalization Certificate and the actual Naturalization Certificate…Once you apply for Naturalization, you will receive a Quasi-Naturalization Certificate (At this stage, you’re NOT yet a Taiwan National)…you will then have one year to give up your Original Nationality and then receive the real Naturalization Certificate.

Yes Article 9 “Foreign nationals applying for naturalization shall provide a certificate of loss of original nationality within one year from the day of approval of naturalization or from the day of reaching the age at which they may renounce nationality under the law of their original country.”

note that it says “within one year”

There is no such thing as a “Taiwan National”, and there is no such thing as a “Quazi-Naturalization Certificate”. You become a Republic of China National when you naturalize. After one year you can apply for household registration and an id in Taiwan.

You do have a point however that the Republic of China Nationality is next to meaningless unless you have an id in Taiwan. It is not considered to be much better than stateless by some countries.

To put it another way, first you become an NWOHHR, and then you become an NWHHR, right?

Some people may consider the former a “quasi-citizen”. :2cents:

1 Like

At the time of your naturalization, the law was indeed as you’ve stated it. They changed the law because too many south east asian housewives kept being rendered stateless when their application for ROC naturalization were rejected subsequent to them renouncing their nationality so Liam is right.

Right. Indeed, many foreign governments including the US treat a NWOHR Taiwan passport holder’s passport as a stateless persons travel document for travel and visa purposes because NWHOR status does not confer indefinite right of abode in the Taiwan area. Meaning that for the US the maximum length of stay in the visa they issue such a person is 3 months.

Ahhh…I see…that was where I was getting confused with what Liam stated…my apologies Liam…I did read somewhere that they were changing the law but was not sure if that Law has already taken effect.

[quote=“Liam_Og, post:22, topic:158471”]
You do have a point however that the Republic of China Nationality is next to meaningless unless you have an id in Taiwan. It is not considered to be much better than stateless by some countries.
[/quote] Yup…being a Taiwan National is next to useless…might as well be Stateless since we can’t do anything without an ID number…I can carry around my big A4 Naturalization Certificate with me and still not be able to get a Phone contract with any of the Mobile Carriers.

Btw, there was really such a thing called a “Quazi-Naturalization Certificate” (準歸化證明書) when I applied back in 2015. This certificate was needed when I had to renounce my Original Citizenship. I guess the actual Naturalization Certificate will be used now in lieu of the Quazi-Naturalization Certificate.

1 Like

Sort of.

New amendments say:

1. yes, some special foreigners do not have to give up their nationality at all

2. the ones that do have one year to give it up AFTER approval. So if you do not get approved, you do not give it up, so you will not lose your original nationality/become stateless

And yes TARC is basically… useless. But one foot in, one toe at a time…

yea, that is what I meant