Trouble Deciding Between Jobs - Any Opinion Helps

Though your post is a bit offensive unnecessary, I’m glad to know you already made a decision with a help from people in your real life. They can give you more appropriate advices than us, because they know you.

And, yeah, you don’t need to prove anything for us, though I guess @Andrew0409 said it to cheer you up.

I didn’t take your post personally. I think every reply here is posted for you, no mob. Though some posts are a bit harsh and sarcastic, they are still for you and not crossing the line.

1 Like

It was not you Tando, I appreciate your advice

Don’t sat that to these guys! Or wait a minute, is that some kind of brazilian jujitsu move? Ok do say that!

1 Like

Some people gave you tough love, but no one picked on you or joined a “mob.” Stop with that. Most people, if not everyone, who replied to you were trying to help you and give advice. People have different approaches. Some are very gentle with their opinions, and others offer them in a very frank, no-bullshit way (and that frankness can offend sometimes). I think you need a tougher skin. Anyway, hope everything works out.

1 Like

Honestly, most people were really helpful and objective. It was just two guys.

But honestly i did not mean what I said. Its not like me to act like that. :slight_smile:

Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone. To any of you that I said something that offended you, in any comment I made in this thread, I did not mean what said. I am sorry :slight_smile:

Taken out of context and altered. I said one should be honest with one’s potential future employer. Don’t go apply for a job and expect to be trained after the fact, especially if you are expected to jump in and start running, as was the case with the OPs first job.

One minute you are asking for opinions because you haven’t made up your mind. The next minute you are saying you already knew what you wanted before posting. Then you said you don’t really care what anyone thinks. But then you turn around and start apologizing and asking for forgiveness.

Seriously, you are all over the place with your objectives and emotions. It would have been better to have started this thread with “hey guys, I’m sure I want to teach up in Taipei, what do you think?” just be more straight forward, honest and confident. Be honest to your potential employers too.Go do the necessary demos to show what you can do, but also tell them you want to observe and train with them to better your skills BEFORE jumping in.

Nobody was rude to you and nobody attacked you. Sometimes it’s best to see things without the sugar coating. This is life. Sink or swim.

Really do hope you find a job that suits your talents and can provide you with a healthy income so you can get back up on your feet.

5 Likes

This. If you get worked up over people trying to help you then I don’t think the teaching job is for you.

1 Like

Teach a couple of years or even a semester or two at any school, especially private schools, and there are bound to be a couple of run-ins with bad mannered, bad behaving kids.

I’ve been teaching for over 12 years here and the vast majority of kids are decent, well mannered, respectful students. However, it only takes a couple of monsters in a class to lead the others astray and send you into damage control. Often times administration sides with parents because they are paying the tuition. Sometimes they back the teacher up. All of the time, you as the teacher, must be prepared for this and know the playing field inside and out.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone was being mean and rude. Maybe harsher than you’re used to. Most of us have taught or have been working for a while. It just sounds like you’re still pretty new to the work force citing your gpa and how your teacher pat you on the back and said you’re smart. If you haven’t learned already you’re gpa means nothing, no longer are people going to praise you. In fact, get used to the opposite of people criticizing you for every little thing and ignoring all the positive things you do.

We only used what you gave us for information and what you posted. And a lot of what people saw threw up some red flags. It’s a cruel world especially these days in the job market. Good luck and hope the best. Don’t take it so personal. Most of us have failed over and over again and went through growing pains of our own. It’s part of life, and sometimes people can give you the best advice if they don’t know you personally and can be upfront. Just take it with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

I have been honest with every employer and all know my experience :slight_smile:

To be totally honest… you posted this question and your probably talking about me as one of the two people who mob-ed you…

It isn’t the first time you asked this kind of question, and you got a lot of decent advice last time as well. Most solid advice was that it’s time to make up your mind, consider the pro’s and cons, pick one and stick with it. Which I feel you didn’t do last time, that’s why I was a bit blunt in my advice this time. I know this forum is meant for questions and getting advice from people who might have gone trough something similar in the past and can shed some light or cast a shadow in a different direction than what might be your personal view. I believe that’s what you got both times. The main reason I didn’t gift wrap it was because I felt like it was kind of a waste of time, it was asked and answered before, and basically throughout the discussion and your replies you confirmed it that you already knew what you wanted and didn’t really needed any advice. I did however gave you the benefit of the doubt to still offer my own view. Take it or leave it.

You should ask yourself which of the jobs is the one you most likely will still hold say 6 months from now… That’s the one I would pick… it gives you time to settle down, get out of daily worries etc etc…

Anyway… Good luck… and I sincerely hope you don’t have to ask this question again in the near future.

3 Likes

Having a thick skin in Taiwan is quite important, people here locals mostly like to say what they think. For office work here (local firm) it is fairly different to being back in a western office environment so you must be prepared for it.

1 Like

I apologise for misinterpreting your post. I didn’t notice the post where the OP told us he’d been dishonest with his employer. I still can’t find it, actually.

There is a general implication throughout this thread that the OP’s lack of experience is an issue, and I fail to see why it is. In his second post he mentions this, so if his employer in Taipei is willing to employ him and then offer some training (quality of which awaits to be seen :wink:) surely there is no problem?

12 years for me, too. I can only recall a handful of kids with behavioral problems serious enough to disrupt the class. Having said that, I stopped teaching young learners in 2011 - so my sample size is smaller and maybe standards of behavior have slipped since then. I doubt many kids in Taiwan can match the charmer in the UK who said something along the lines of “I want you to hit me so dad can lose you your job.” :grin:

I guess @SuiGeneris’s post came from the quoted lines below. It somehow sounds OP saying he quit his first job due to the employer not giving him a training.

It’s maybe because we repeated similar conversation with the OP several times in several threads as @raymon75 said.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why I keep reading and responding to these threads by the OP. Perhaps it is akin to rubber necking. Anyways, I hope all works out. I think I am done here.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly, I keep hoping for a good result…

And this time the OP has been promised training in the Taipei job.

Now, the quality of said training (or whether it even materializes) is another matter. :grin:

Take the job in Taichung. Everyone is lying to you. Good luck.

2 Likes