True or false: Formosa and Taiwan are on opposite sides of the world?

Directly opposite, as it turns out (like the mirror universe!). Maybe one of you can win a bet with this information. If you don’t believe me, ask the National University of Formosa:

http://www.unf.edu.ar/

(From some sort of weird alternate history timeline, in which Spain kept Taiwan?)

1 Like

I happened to know about this because it is part of a mystery geocache I found here in Taiwan. Pretty cool.

If you don’t know what geocaching is…

https://youtu.be/vuFiLhhCNww

Mining for bitcoin seems easier

1 Like

It’s not just a university. I give you…

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

From Spanish Wikipedia:

Maybe if we pray enough, someone will translate it for us. :innocent: :praying:

?? so only Northern Taiwan was formerly known as Formosa eh???

I think they were referring to the fact that the antipode to Formosa, Argentina is in Keelung, which is in northern Taiwan. (I only learned what a geographical antipode is from my geocaching reference above)

@Icon

Que pasa?

EDIT:

There is a bit of dark history there, with La Guerra del Chaco as a starting point. Don’t bring this up with Paraguayans or better, any South American.

OTOH, interesting bit about population:
Hacia 1882, la población se componía de aproximadamente 78 familias que sumaban un total de 441 personas. De ellas 213 eran austriacos, 196 italianos, 38 argentinos, 8 franceses y 6 españoles.

No todos los inmigrantes que llegaron a Formosa sabían leer y redactar, algunos apenas sabían firmar y otros no escribían sus nombres. El flujo de estos extranjeros se produjo ya sea en forma individual o conjuntamente con sus familiares. Los nuevos matrimonios, gestados en tierra formoseña, quedaron conformados entre los mismo miembros de la colectividad, dejando numerosos descendencia. Los hombres no buscaron sus esposas en la villa porque era muy pequeña y en un principio era considerada como un asentamiento militar.

Mostly European descent, from Austria, Italy, France and Spain, working class, little education. Don’t ask about the indigenous population.

But specifically –

Formosa deriva del español antiguo fermosa, que significa «hermosa» y que habría sido dado por los conquistadores españoles, que con el pasar del tiempo a esa zona se la comenzó a nombrar como Vuelta Fermosa.

La isla de Taiwán, también conocida como Formosa (Ilha Formosa), recibió este nombre de los exploradores portugueses. Esta isla se encuentra en las antípodas de la Provincia de Formosa.

Which one was named after the other, or was it just a coincidence because both places were too beautiful not to name Formosa/Fermosa?

One was named by Portuguese, the other -in Argentina- by the Spanish. The text does not say which was named first.

It is just saying that the island of Taiwan was also named Formosa.

I do not understand what it means that something is in the antipodas of another thing. It says it is the furthest opposite, but how?

Las antípodas es el lugar de la superficie terrestre más alejado de otro dado, es decir, el habitante del globo terrestre que vive en un lugar diametralmente opuesto respecto a otro.

Te encuentras en Taiwán, coordenadas geográficas N23°30’0" E121°0’0" (geolocalización aproximada por IP).

We would need to check if S23°30’0" O59°0’0" corresponds to Provincia de Formosa as they state.

Las antípodas de Taiwán se encuentran en S23°30’0" O59°0’0".

El perieco de Taiwán se encuentran en N23°30’0" O59°0’0".

El anteco de Taiwán se encuentran en S23°30’0" E121°0’0".

We would need to check if S23°30’0" O59°0’0" is really the Provincia de Formosa as they state.

If this map is accurate, most of Taiwan is antipodal to Paraguay.

But a tiny bit overlaps, and Formosa Province is right there at the edge.

1 Like

check it out

According to this, the part of Taiwan that is antipodal to Argentina, includes the north down to (and including) Hsinchu. Miaoli is in Paraguay.

Few countries seem to have significant antipodes (most emerge in the ocean). The exceptions are clustered around China and SE Asia, which are antipodal to South America. Otherwise, there’s Spain and New Zealand, and that’s about it.

Is there a website like this for same-hemisphere “antipodes”?

I once designed a Taiwanese flag using the Formosa Provincial flag as an inspiration.

l3d_formosan_flag_mata_weave_green_blue

2 Likes

All things considered, shouldn’t the triangle be pointed the other way?
:slight_smile: