Trump is Making China Great Again

Thanks Trump for making helping make China great again. I wish for China great things, but not at the expense of America or the western world.

Slight problem with the narrative.

President Trump has signed a massive, $700 billion military spending bill—by far the largest military budget in the world. . . .

President Donald Trump: “Finally, the defense bill authorizes major investments in our military’s greatest weapon of all: its warriors. The NDAA increases the size of the American armed forces for the first time in seven years, and it provides our military servicemembers with their largest pay increase in eight years. Now Congress must finish the job by eliminating the defense sequester and passing a clean appropriations bill. I think it’s going to happen. We need our military. It’s got to be perfecto.”
According to the National Priorities Project, U.S. military expenditures are roughly the size of the world’s next seven largest military budgets combined. (China’s military budget is $200 billion.)

How much of that is going to American forces in Asia/Australasia?

Shhh, it’s his daily:“Trumps sucks!!1one!” thread, don’t ruin the narrative.

Well, China has already taken over leadership in Latin America and Africa. It is only a matter of time when the rest falls.

As to military expenditure on “warriors”, when Trump realizes a large percentage of those are immigrants from shithole countries and taht the military habla espanol…thinsg will get interesting. When they start deporting the ones that serve for nationality, oh boy. As soon as they request PSTD treatment.

Yeah, the US gave up without even a fight. And all indications are that we’re not going to even give it a go (I mean, why bother with these sh%%^&** countries?!).

I haven’t read the article, but I often worry about our loss of leadership role when it comes to alternative energy technologies. The US chases after coal and argues against global warming while the rest of the world is moving quickly forward in various alternative energy technologies.

And when the US moves away from global agreements, you can bet the Chinese government is liking that. I imagine that’s what the article focused on- abdication of leadership by the US, that is.

According to the mainstream media it’s now up to China and India to lead the way for an environmental friendly future filled with renewable sources. India and China, the two countries that combined produce close to 40% of air pollutants, are supposed to lead by example and become the shiny examples of a bright and green future.

Well, if Saudi Arabia can be elected in the women right commission, I guess anything is possible.

1 Like

What concerns me is that the writing is on the wall: This is where the future is. Good jobs. Lots of money to be made. In the meantime, we waste time and energy in the US arguing whether global warming is taking place. Who cares?! Let’s get busy. Go Tesla. Go California government.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/07/531952407/solar-firms-plan-to-return-to-nevada-after-new-law-restores-incentives

This is from 2017, the government is doing things that are motivating ($$$) companies to invest in the solar market, something that according to Tesla itself had been on halt during the previous administration. I think it was in Nevada that earlier this year there was the opening of a huge solar power facility. I don’t see the government being such a hinderance for the development of solar power, a sector in which joba increased by 24+% in 2017.

Why aren’t we leading? For example, if we look at the electric car market:

In 2016, China was by far the largest electric car market, accounting for more than 40% of the electric cars sold in the world and more than double the amount sold in the United States. The global electric car stock surpassed 2 million vehicles in 2016 after crossing the 1 million threshold in 2015 (Figure 1).

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/GlobalEVOutlook2017.pdf

No link, but we’ve all heard: A handful of countries have set dates in which gas powered vehicles will no longer be sold. It concerns me that the US isn’t even considering this.

And the US is always coming in 5th or 6th or 10th place in global lists related to renewable energy. Why aren’t we leading? We should be. Well, that’s what happens when you leave the Paris Accord, chase coal, waste energy and time arguing against the merits of global warming, you know, stuff the rest of the world doesn’t do. I think it’s clear that with the present trajectory, the leadership role will continue to be lost.

China has what, 1.5b people? I don’t find it surprising that most sales of anything will be made there.

1 Like

Uh, that’s why I brought up the whole gas-powered vehicle ban thing. I thought that would have been obvious. I hope more states step forward like California, but if we continue along the present trajectory, things are set to look very bad, very soon for the US, even when talking in terms of percentage.

Do you think there may be a non Trump-related reason for which California, Nevada etc see more investments in solar power than other states?

I don’t know. I’m not sure why that question is important. I think the far more pertinent question is what alternative energy investments are made as a direct result of leadership from Trump. It’s easy to see from the experience of every country in the world except for the US how important leadership from the top is when it comes to alternative energy technology. And it’s equally easy to see why this is: transitioning to a zero carbon economy will be a huge undertaking for each country. But it’s happening and it’s going to happen, regardless of what the Trump administration says and does, regardless of whether America is a part of the Paris Accord or not. Common sense is sometimes a good thing.

it’s in the article I posted above…the removal of some regulations from 2016 is helping the market and Tesla is investing more in the installation of solar panels.

I’m not sure what this has to do with Trump. My parents live in Nevada and a big stink was made when net metering was phased out. It would have been political suicide not to bring it back. But hey, I’ve got an idea, let’s do this nationally like in Germany. Or at least let’s talk about it every chance we get and promote it for every state where it’s feasible. Trump? Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me.

That’s an interesting article: the warmer weather caused by climate change has increased energy production. Doh!

They are already buying up German and other European leading companies too.

Don’t expect people to get money for using electricity, it’s just spread out over the total bill, having the utility companies still make money.

1 Like

The question is will China also make the mistake of all rising countries in the past just like the US. Too much budget into military spending and meddling and expanding the “empire”.

Where did all the money US made went? 2 places, Wall Street and the military.

But China still has a long way to catch up in standard of living for the average person. It’s easy to look at major rising cities in China and say wow they’re doing so good. China is vast, and for The most part, many places are as 3rd world as it gets.