TutorABC and GJun Encounters

I sincerely hope that you’re more grammatical in the sessions, themselves. But TutorABC hires Russians and Germans to teach English to Chinese people, and the company charges them a bundle for the classes, so it’s pretty obvious how they stay so profitable if you and they are only making ten dollars per hour.

For proof, you can meet Sergei on the front pages of both TutorABCJr and TutorMing, where you get to watch him emphasize thick, Russian accent and English grammar problems:

Yeah but Sergei speaks great Chinese!

Yeah well 10$ an hour may be good for someone in the U.S.A for a stay at home job … considering that the minimum wage in many states is less than that. However, for someone living in Taiwan, particularly an American, 10$ an hour is shit when you can easily get $20 an hour… But working in the cram is probably harder…

Gjun offered me an interview and asked me to do 15 minutes demo. It went fine, i think. The recruiter offered me 450-480 per hour. Haven’t heard back from them so don’t know if I’d be teaching for them or not. I am Taiwanese, with a masters degree from the US. Perhaps that’s the reason I don’t get as much as 500+? The recruiter is sensible and quite efficient. Interview lasted for one hour and quite pleasant. I probably won’t do all the tests plus the interview for ABC though, not when I have a good day job, anyway.

Chinglish aside, you have a MA/MS from the US, but teach English on the side? Is your profession impossible to freelance?

Ten minutes on most employment websites here in Taiwan will get you more than that offer.

Edit: For those who found my Chinglish assessment disproportionate, I highlighted the remaining Chinglish for you.

That’s a disproportionate criticism in this case.

That’s a disproportionate criticism in this case.[/quote]
Totally agree. Omitting one verb in an entire paragraph does not mean chinglish. Many people slip up, and some just make mistakes. Slip or learner error. Maybe. Chinglish? Not really.

Thanks for the defense, guys. Well, the recruiter came back with a no, so I guess he doesn’t appreciate my Chinglish much either. So glad to be here, I could do Chinglish if I want to. I’ve got another agency negotiation in pending, will update you if that one comes through. It’s not teaching English, though, this one teaching Chinese using English. I guess that’s the way I should go. :slight_smile:

I guess it was nothing to do with your language skills OP, good luck on your job search.

She’s English captain but not as we know her…
:whistle:

Thanks, headhoncholl.

If anyone knows any work I could do from a town in central Taiwan, please let me know. It’s really nice to be near the mountain and SunMoon Lake though there’s no much work around. Worse comes to worse, I could try become a Bin Lan girl…Though, I am probably too old and too not pretty for that either. :cry:

Join the club, not much money to be found in Central and Southern Taiwan, unless selling overpriced souvenirs to Chinese tourists counts.

Just curious, what could I do in Northern Taiwan? My BA and MA are both in Humanity. I have been doing okay with my language combination, Mandarin, English and Japanese.

I’ve got a day job and am happy with it. Just hope I don’t get fired anytime soon. The part-time job is just for the entertainment purpose. To see, again, the crazy people you have to work for and with.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t mean to be obnoxious, a second pay check will be much welcomed too.

Editing this post to advise people not to work at Gjun. The hours are very antisocial (weekdays: late night or early morning; expect weekends if you take a full time position). There is a 30 minute wait between classes which you’re not paid for and it really eats into your salary per hour. They try and lowball you at $550 an hour which you shouldn’t accept of course.

They also screwed up my salary calculation every single month I worked there (of course, it was always too low and not too high). There is very poor communication between departments (makes it very slow to resolve problems). As for their accountants… let’s just say I’d rather having Bernie Madoff doing my accounts.

I can vouch that TutorABC is a rip off and there are far better jobs out there both online and off. I worked for TutorABC for 2 years and they only get progressively worse.

1 Like

[quote=“ehophi”]And TutorABC is still trying to fill that position.

Who could say, “No!” to a sales droning job at a pittance of regular instructor hours? Has anyone ever accepted this position?[/quote]

Yes and regretted it the whole time. Much better jobs out there.

Anyone have experience or advice about hitutor? It’s another online English teaching company. Seems similar to tutorabc, which from reading doesn’t seem to be a good thing.

Just to put this school on blast, Tutor ABC is an absolute racist school. They put up a listing for a history tutor and I emailed them to pat my income and I love teaching history. I have 2.5 years experience teaching history/social studies in English and 3+ years working with children. Most schools I have contacted jump at a chance for someone with more than 2 years of experience. I emailed them, and followed up. No reply. So that left me with 2 thoughts, they saw that my family name is Asian and are one of those racist schools or the listing is a fake.

After asking around, I had multiple people sharing the same experience. One guy who is African American messaged me and told me not to even waste my time as when he went for the interview and saw he was black, they promptly showed him out the door. Another women also confirmed that they only hire white faces. Lastly, I had a friend email them with a resume with less experience from a NON NATIVE English country, with less experience than my resume with a non asian surname. And he got a email back asking him to come in for an interview. it’s such a shame, it’s 2017 and schools like this still exist.

1 Like

Bumping an old thread about TutorABC because I don’t think this deserves its own.

2 Likes

Why’d they call it a welcome letter? This has been going around for a little while. Are they terminating the accounts of all teachers in Taiwan or just those who live in Taiwan? I first heard they terminated two teachers for arguing with students about the status of Taiwan, but have decided just to let all Taiwan-based teachers go? Logically, they should not do business with the students either.