TW's fake sale prices

Yeah, I’ve found myself scratching my head a number of times about this. Why all the hoopla about a 5% discount?

1 Like

There’s mall in Tienmu?

Guy

Don’t worry, once Carrefour is taken over by Uni-President I’m sure things will be much better!

Guy

2 Likes

Or the NT$100 (not a typo) I’m due to get for opening a bank account with Fubon and linking my credit card to deduct the full amount each month… :roll:

Whenever my dad opens new accounts in the UK, the sign-up bonus is like 20+ times that.

On the topic of fake sale prices, the ones that bug me are those on Shopee. You often see shops advertising like 10% coin cashback vouchers but capped at like 1 coin or 5 coins or whatever, which is below the minimum order limit so it’s impossible to actually get the advertised percent.

4 Likes

大葉高島屋

There’s also a singkuang mall across the street from the baseball stadium.

I mean why wouldn’t there be malls there? It’s a very affluent area.

1 Like

Those are department store, not malls. :person_shrugging:

Guy

Plenty along zhongshan n Rd

What are the interests on credit card back home? Taiwan’s interest rate is quite low.

It does happen in the US, but not to anywhere near the same level as Taiwan. I think it’s due to cultural differences more than legal differences, though. In the US this practice causes people to be skeptical of the store, irritated by them, and more likely to shop at a competing store they can trust to have consistently good prices rather than one where they have to be constantly questioning whether the “deal” is really a deal. In Taiwan it seems people just accept this as a cute little game the customer and store play with each other.

Just so you know food like meat gets marked down as it’s nearing their sell by. I don’t like this about px mart because the mark down isn’t much, but you can already see some deterioration on the food. Carrefour market however marks it down a lot more. I have on occasion seen a pack of 250g hot pot meat marked down to around 39nt, when regular price is more like 89. Condition is still same as px mart markdown, except px mart only marks it down by 10nt.

I can freeze it and preserve it nearly indefinitely but px mart low markdown makes it not a good deal.

Three. Sogo, Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya. He’s talking about Mitsukoshi and Eddy’s across the street.

I don’t know or care what the difference between a “mall” and a “department store” is in Taiwan. They all seem the same to me, and the terms are used interchangeably.

His point was that 100NT is a comically low one-time incentive to get anyone to make an ongoing banking/finance decision, regardless of the other specifics.

Also, you’re supposed to pay credit cards off each month so the interest rate doesn’t matter. If you’re using them to borrow money long-term, you’re in trouble.

3 Likes

Sure, but it still matters. You don’t carry balance in Taiwan though, doing so will be bad for your credit, but you can use installment to purchase stuff, and is interest free in most cases. You’re still borrowing money long term, but if you don’t pay the installment you will be in trouble.

I’m only asking because usually credit card companies give out bonuses like this because they profit off the interest, and so if interest is high (I heard it can be over 30 percent in some cases in the US, in Taiwan fsc limit it to 15%) there’s more money to give out freebies.

But also there’s cash back deals depending on the card, and it can be advantageous to hold multiple cards from the same bank (limit is all the same no matter how many cards you have). It also depends on card.

My card from Taiwan mobile gave 500nt cash back for getting it. I got another 500nt back for getting the Costco card. Also Costco gives a 500nt discount on top of that for your membership fee. Both cards from fubon bank and there’s literally nothing to getting another card if it’s the same bank. Your credit limit and account is all the same.

I got 100nt back every month just using the Taiwan mobile card to pay my phone bill.

The worst doesn’t mean, by proxy, the following 100 top sellers are much better ;
711 and the like are absolutely horrendous as well! They just have a lower class demographic. They can all accept more shenanigans for glorified night market styled “food” :smiling_face:

I just checked the terms and conditions for this promotion.

The promotional e-mail was sent out on January 2, and if I’m reading it properly the NT$100 will apparently be distributed on August 31, eight months later, after the customer has had the automatic deduction set up for the duration of the event period (six months, January through June). What a deal! :roll:

One warning though: The reward can’t be transferred to others.

I spent like two hours in the bank that day opening the account and arguing with bank staff over their misunderstanding of the rules.

:rofl:

We’ll try to survive without it.

Guy

1 Like

Wait a sec! Are you saying banks are un ethical douchebags (funny how my phone keeps insisting, after 3 retypes, it is deutsche bank lol) that make their profit based on unfair advantages and legally cheating the public?!?!?!?!