Typhoon 2009

Typhoon 2009

Just for fun, I predict a Tyhoon will pass over Taiwan on 24 September. Anyone else want to pick a date to win the non-existent Forumosa typhoon lottery?

whats your stake? 10:1 per bid. I’ll hold it for you. No win, banker collects.

Typhoon season is upon us, folks. First couple forming and rolling across the Philippines over the next week, with the usual more easterly trajectory of early typhoons.

Read up in the typhoon sticky (see above) if this is news to you, Generally, you are allowed to be a bit more relaxed if you live in a large building in the major cities.

keep an eye on the latest developments by checking in here:

tropicalstormrisk.com/tracker/dynamic/W.html

and here:

cwb.gov.tw/V6e/index.htm

good luck!

Two typhoons at the same time… Great start for the season…NOT! :s

This light typhoon (tropical storm) stands a chance of hitting us this weekend:

WAVES! WAVES! WAVES!

definitely time to hit the water! unless Mr Plod drags you out for endangering the public.

or unless you’re sailing :astonished:

Typhoons, please stay far away from Taiwan during our upcoming Yushan hike…

Looks on track to bring some rain this weekend, all the way up the Western coast, and up to Taibei.

Well that may be a good thing water wise as the mei yu this year wasnt a lot. Should have a chance to fill up all the reservoirs island wide if it comes up alongside the island?

This storm doesn’t surprise me a bit, because I’m due to fly out to the US on Monday, and that’s when it will be up north here. Last year, every time I fly to Hong Kong, there was a typhoon. I had no doubt at all that the phenomenon would repeat itself this year. :fume:

It tooks like no big deal, a mere tropical storm.

Because of the rotation and location, the winds in this storm will be moving in a south-to-north direction.

wunderground.com/tropical/tr … 00903.html

Interestingly, 36 hours ago the storm was supposed to pass Taiwan on the eastern side, where we would have been facing north-to-south winds.

Hopefully it keeps shifting west and we don’t take a hit at all.

For those keeping score at home, the Tropical Storm Risk website is showing the tropical storm as upgraded to a Category 1 Typhoon (Typhoon Linfa).

Check this out, Typhoons are good friends that save us from quick violent earthquakes:

physorg.com/news163859251.html

Yeah, we’re flying Mon too. Always been lucky last few years, not got involved in flights and phoons, so what does it take to close the airport here? I’d have thought if this storm stays on track and passes up the straits, it should be no big deal - right?

We’ve not even had one yet. I only saw one tropical storm on the government website, not 2 typhoons. The storm didn’t even hit us. First one should be this month though. My prediction is June 30th.

We’ve not even had one yet. I only saw one tropical storm on the government website, not 2 typhoons. The storm didn’t even hit us. First one should be this month though. My prediction is June 30th.[/quote]

Check the date - he was talking about a different pair of storms.

But with that said, while this typhoon (and it is officially a typhoon now, albeit a small one) isn’t making a direct hit it hasn’t passed us yet. Of course, it depends on where you are whether or not the impact is going to be very noticeable.

Oh, and predictions are worth shit when it comes to typhoons.

One dead, two injured so far, from falling trees. Heavy to extremely heavy rains are forecast down south, with all the risks (flash floods, landslides) those bring. It may not be a BIG typhoon, but this is still a typhoon, folks. Stay safe!