Typhoons 2016

Yay!

ಠ_ಠ

It’s not named yet, but it looks like it will soon become Nepartak, first typhoon of the season. Early forecasts had it come straight to Taiwan, today it seems to be coming very close to us then head straight to China. Still a bit early to have an accurate trajectory though, some models still have it come to Taiwan, others have it curve up to Japan.

1 Like

wifey is flying by taiwan in a few days, let’s hope its off in CHINA by then.

Always plenty of good info in their videos. As time goes by, most models agree that the typhoon will curve to the North, but trajectory could be anywhere from the northern tip of Taiwan to Japan’s southern islands.

If the eye passes north or east of Yilan I’m golden. As long as we can avoid a Saudelor/Dujuan remake with the eye passing over Taiwan just south of us, anything else is good.

No matter its trajectory, it will still brings massive amounts of rain to the Island. That can be as big or even bigger problem than the wind - looking at you, cute toppled mailboxes fame Soundelor - and being the first typhoon of the season, it can mess up things pretty bad. So let’s prep.

Remembering Saudelor, rip neighbors’ van :laughing:

I hope this passes by with just some rain or if it’s going to hit, hit early and go away by the weekend.

I’ve been planning an outing with friends for well over 4 months for this weekend in HsinChu.

Ehr, things are not looking too good for the weekend. It will depend a lot on its trajectory and turning speed though, and there’s still no consensus on that. It’s still just a “tropical storm”, tomorrow night and Wednesday we’ll see if it upgrades to anything more serious.

I’m scheduled to fly into TPE on Thursday evening. Yikes.

Guy

Currently Windity has THE WORST forecast of all, with the eye landing in southern Yilan like Dujuan last year.

[quote=“ranlee”]I hope this passes by with just some rain or if it’s going to hit, hit early and go away by the weekend.

I’ve been planning an outing with friends for well over 4 months for this weekend in Hsinchu.[/quote]

I know how you feel. I signed up for this 24k run in xizhi for Sunday, the typhoon should be gone but the aftermath might suck. It’s water/land run. I did this run last year a few days after one of the huge typhoons, the water part was not fun. Shit was so dirty in the creeks and went up to your chest.

[quote=“afterspivak”]I’m scheduled to fly into TPE on Thursday evening. Yikes.

Guy[/quote]

I’m scheduled to get in late on Friday, July 8 from Korea. Hope you get in safe.

Just spent a month in the UK. Never thought I would say this, and I’ve been living in Taipei for 16 years, but I am missing the weather back home.

I’ve been visiting the US for the last two weeks, the Midwest to be specific, after living in Taiwan for 4 years and experiencing 5 summers there. The things I miss about the weather here in summer are the cool nights and the variety in summer weather. Here we have cool days, super hot days, perfect days, stormy days, but in Taiwan it’s pretty much just a non stop furnace until a typhoon rolls through.

I hope Windity is completely wrong.

Robotea agrees.

OK, who wrote this?
boardingpassadventures.com/2015 … -yourself/

:laughing: :bravo:

Hello there, officially upgraded to typhoon status!

This would be pretty ok for us, and it looks like most models agree on the typhoon travelling like that. Even Windity changed their forecast. The Taiwan Weather Bureau shows the same trajectory.
Followind Windity’s chart, Thursday night and Friday morning should suck for the North-East, especially for Keelong. Here in Yilan, when we don’t get a typhoon headed straight in our directions, the mountains do a good job so it’s not looking bad at all.
h.
Tomorrow we should have a more accurate estimate for trajectory/strength etc., so far it looks like the weekend may be safe (apart from a bit of leftover wind and general wetness).

Thanks for the update Ibis. Knowing it may hit early is music to my ears.

Thanks, gavmasterflash, for the nice wishes! Safe travels to you too.

Guy