Typhoons 2016

the aerial video was shot in downtown Taidong city. Most of the trees and lakes are parts of the Taidong park.

A significant amount of people in Taidong don’t live in the city. Most people also depend on agriculture and tourism. Summer is crucial to their annual income, and the typhoon pretty much destroyed their livelihood right at the start of the summer vacation.

For Xindian residents, Cardinal Tien Hospital has a collection box in the foyer for Taitung.

There are also messages in Facebook asking people to visit Taitung. A good way to help is keeping small hostels and B&Bs and mom and pop restaurants in business. Even the Balloon Festival has restarted.

How were Green Island and Orchid Island affected? Those places should have gotten hit directly by the storm.

Both places were devastated by record winds.

For Pongso no Tao, the owner of the B&B I stayed in just 2 days before the typhoon came, informed me that his roof was semi-damaged. There was a massive power outage on Pongso no Tao, and the phone line, TV cables were cutoff as well. So I couldn’t contact the owner for 2 days after the typhoon first hit the place.

The local town government was setup as the emergency response center, but it too lost power soon after the typhoon struck, rendering emergency response non-existent. I imagine all the taro fields are probably wrecked. Several Christian organizations were hit as well, especially Lanan. The roofs to several of their buildings were torn off.

However, local administrator said it is less severe than 2012’s typhoon Tembin.

Local farmer’s association destroyed again

Taidong’s fruit trees

Taidong’s fruit trees

With fruit trees it’s even worse. The trees take 5 years to grow before they can bare fruit.

[quote=“hansioux”]

With fruit trees it’s even worse. The trees takes 5 years to grow before they can bare fruit.[/quote]

Wow. Pretty bad.

For the fruit trees, have they ever considered planting a tree that is stronger or faster growing and then grafting fruit bearing branches onto the tree?

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“afterspivak”]So this would provide funds directly to the Taidong County Government? With all due respect to the crisis at hand, those guys are among the last people on earth I would trust to handle funds transparently or fairly. I presume the usual NGOs have sprung into action too?

Guy[/quote]

I don’t know which NGOs to trust either.

You can also donate to World Vision on their typhoon relief page:
i-payment.worldvision.org.tw/htm … te/158.htm

It’s a long form in Chinese to get the money out though.

You can also donate to two hospitals directly:

Taidong Christian Hospital
tch.org.tw/TchWeb/ArticleCon … ory_D_ID=3
You have to donate through the post office:
Post office transfer deposit number (劃撥帳號): 06714451
Account name: 東基醫療財團法人
Effort to Dedicate to: 東基風災重建

St. Mary Hospital
st-mary.org.tw/news/news_lis … ws_id=1032
Post office transfer deposit
Post office transfer deposit number (劃撥帳號): 06620781
Account name: 台東天主教聖母醫院

Or bank transfer
Account name: 天主教花蓮教區醫療財團法人台東聖母醫院
Bank Account: 華南銀行台東分行 (008), 830-20-050683-9[/quote]

Guys and gals, there is a petition circulating on FB to help St. Mary’s Hospital in Taitung. They take care of about 800 elderly and infirm, and making sure they is food on their plates while struggling with the damage is tough. Please help if you can.

請幫助台東天主教聖母醫院!

1. 郵局劃撥 戶名:台東天主教聖母醫院 帳號: 06620781
  2. 匯款捐款 戶名:天主教花蓮教區醫療財團法人台東聖母醫院
    帳號: 008)華南銀行台東分行830-20-050683-9
    洽詢電話:(089)322-833轉168聖母醫院公關室

News bit: cmmedia.com.tw/home/articles … D%E6%96%B7

There seems to be something brewing in the Pacific. It’s very clear in the satellite picture. Anybody heard anything?

There’s a system pretty close, but it’s heading off to the NE.

Ok, I can live with rainy Mid Autumn Festival, that’s par de course already. But a full sized typhoon?! :rant:
http://m.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20160909/945331/

Windyty has it nailing us Wednesday afternoon and gone by Thursday.

Like you were going to do anything on the holiday anyways.

Traffic will be pretty hectic heading down south if this typhoon stays on track.

I’ve already booked the hotel for next week’s holiday…feelsbadman.

Well sir, we had planned an Independence Day Celebration -Central American that is. Bottles of relevant traditional beverages have already been purchased for the ocassion, as well as other accoutrements.

Actually, it IS because we had plans, that the typhoon is on its way…

EDIT:
And Windyty has it hitting Taitung… The tree!!!

Serves you[quote=“Icon, post:213, topic:89983, full:true”]
Well sir, we had planned an Independence Day Celebration -Central American that is. Bottles of relevant traditional beverages have already been purchased for the ocassion
[/quote]

Serves you right for changing the date for Canada Day.

Anyways, I never heard of a typhoon stopping anyone from drinking.
Kind of the opposite, really.

Serves you right for changing the date for Canada Day.

Anyways, I never heard of a typhoon stopping anyone from drinking.
Kind of the opposite, really.
[/quote]

Celebration is/was? supposed to take place outdoors. BBQ, traditional foodstuffs, loud music, dancing…

…unless you can find a place to fit 50 people.

According to Windyty it will follow the trajectory of the typhoon that hit Taidong earlier this summer. For other websites it may head a bit closer to Hualien.
Early forecast gave it headed to Japan, but it kept steering South.

#savethetree

I’m due to be flying out of Taoyuan on Thursday AM. Looks like it might be ‘interesting’.

You may try to give them a call. I also had made a reservation for the holiday and we just called the hotel.
The deal is that as soon as TV announces that the typhoon hit the land, I can call and cancel the reservation without any fees.

The latest forecast, courtesy of Weather Underground:

It has been upgraded to “severe tropical storm”. Here are some recent calculations for the trajectory:

Still a wide range of possible trajectories.