Typhoons 2016

Just hoping it passes through the South and leave the North alone :worried:

Let’s hope it just disappears tonight so everyone can have a peaceful holiday weekend.

A little reminder:

Meanwhile, the state-owned Taiwan Water Corp. reminded the public to store water ahead of Typhoon Meranti’s arrival, as the storm may cause poor water quality and disrupt the water supply during the four-day Mid-Autumn Festival holiday, which starts Thursday.

Im hoping it hits w lots of rain but nobody getting hurt cause i love typhoon days.

I like a typhoon, but not on a public holiday, especially Mid Autumn festival.

Meh i dont mind on a holiday, that way we dont need to make it up and work on a weekend.

Yup

Your company makes you work on weekends to make up for typhoon days?? And I thought mine was bad…

If GFS turns out to be accurate then this could be damaging for the Kenting area tomorrow. Just north of the eye of a super typhoon is not where you want to be.

Don’t despair. I worked for a big company (cough http://www.theworldslargesttechnologycompany.com cough) and sometimes we needed to make up typhoons, and sometimes we didn’t, depending on how they were doing that quarter.

A busy week for the Pacific Ocean, holy cow.
It’s interesting that even though the typhoon is about the make landfall in Taiwan (or pass close by), forecast agencies still haven’t agreed upon the trajectory. For JTWC it will follow a trajectory very close to Nepartak and then steer North, while other agencies have it pass South of Taiwan and keep heading in direction of Hong Kong.

The second one may cool down Urodacus’s coral garden a tad.

And if that one does not do the trick, there are two more right behind it.

Thanks from us in the South

Didn’t really pay attention to Malakas’ early forecast track, but I feel like it’s edging closer to us.

Well, seems what is being called “the strongest typhoon so far this year” is headed towards the Luzon Strait… then Hong Kong. Let’s hope for no Nari effect as the two others affect it.

Burning sun here in Taipei. The calm before the storm… Buy water, refreshments, bread, and other essentials.

EDIT:
From Accuweather, dire warnings:

Super Typhoon Meranti will hold on to its intensity over next couple of days before pounding Taiwan with flooding rain, damaging winds and dangerous storm surge on Wednesday.

Meranti, currently equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane, reached super typhoon status on Monday afternoon local time. A super typhoon is classified when sustained wind speeds hit at least 240 km/h (150 mph).

“Meranti will be traveling through an environment with low wind shear and very warm ocean water which is favorable for holding on to this strength,” AccuWeather Meteorologist Adam Douty said.
Damaging winds, torrential rain and mudslides will threaten Taiwan early Wednesday morning into Thursday as Meranti approaches and eventually tracks just to the south of the country.

“Impacts to Taiwan could begin on Tuesday night, local time, but Wednesday seems to be the most likely time for the greatest impacts from Meranti,” Douty said.
Meranti will have the potential to cause damage to parts of Taiwan, especially the southeastern coast. Rough surf will begin to batter the coast on Tuesday and will only increase heading into Wednesday. A storm surge of 2 to 3 meters (7 to 10 feet) is expected.

Sustained winds of 160 km/h to 190 km/h (100 mph to 120 mph) are also likely where the system comes onshore on Wednesday, resulting in downed trees and power outages.

Significant rainfall of 250 to 500 mm (10 to 20 inches) will be possible with locally higher amounts of up to 750 mm (30 inches) in the mountains.

“Rainfall on this magnitude will lead to significant flash flooding and mudslides,” Douty said.

While the eastern island will take the brunt of the storm, the southwestern side will also have heavy rain and gusty winds later on Wednesday into Thursday.

Taipei will likely be too far north to get the full impact from Meranti, with much of the rain and wind staying off to the south.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/typhoon-meranti-to-intensify-b/60033731

More here: https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3426

Looks like the outer edge is just starting to tickle Taidong. Lots of rain about to sweep across whole east coast.

Even Windyty changed the forecast. It now shows the center passing just South of Taiwan and then curving to the North. This could mean a ton of water for the Southern-West coast.

Notice how WindyTY now has two models available, the EMWCMF and the CWS. Click on either tab on the right hand lower legend to toggle and see the disparity.

Hang on tight, Kending!