Typhoons 2016

Well, what TaidongCouncil is talking about. Even in Taipei I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few falling sign / tree injuries - this must be really bad in Pingdong and Kaohsiung Counties. Oh, wait, it’s all Kaohsiung City now, isn’t it?

James Reynolds is in Kenting to make video recordings of the typhoon, a couple of hours ago he already posted that it was slowing down there.

The tinfoil guy?

Already slipped and got hurt, as per his Twitter feed. Nothing serious, but ouch anyways.

OK, this I haven’t seen before:

Taipei, Sept. 14 (CNA) The two reactors at Taiwan’s third nuclear power plant in Hengchun in Pingtung County were shut down as a safety precaution early Wednesday as Typhoon Meranti started battering southern Taiwan, the state-run Taiwan Power Company (Taipower) said.

:eek:

Nothing here in Taichung today. Not even a big rainstorm. Right now the ground is dry and it’s a bit overcast.

Dan, you’re reporting from Taichung! Did you move, or just there for a visit?

Guy

Kaohsiung seems to have gotten hit pretty hard…

Just about to leave the office for a spot of surfing. Thanks, Typhoon Meranti: swell 2m at 15 seconds.

hope you guys are all OK, especially down south.

To my untrained eyes, I see a storm that is losing strength. The typhoon seems far less defined than when I saw the satellite picture this morning (the eye isn’t even visible any longer, for example). Is this normal? Gets weaker then after passing Taiwan and on towards China it builds strength again?

Yes they typically become disorganized on encountering the Taiwan or Philippine landmasses. Not much time to gain strength before hitting China, but something like that still packs quite a punch.

Kaohsiung

1 Like

Those Kaohsiung images are nuts. Do take care, people!

Guy

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/775925120636375040

Holy crap, that lady is lucky to be alive… The bird’s like “that’s it, I’m outta here.”

I have been trying to download the video of a guy on a scooter that gets hit by a piece of metal roof. Poster case for why typhoons are dangerous. Guy luckily only gets his helmet knocked out.

Getting ready to go out there. I expect the MRT is going to be a zoo.

Guys look up to the sky. Looks like something out of The Day after Tomorrow.

1 Like

I have just been staring at if for the last ten minutes, clouds are whipping past, it’s pretty mesmerizing, like a giant organism on the move.

135 mil in Jinfeng, Taidong County. In the last hour!