Typhoons 2016

Meranti`s wind was really powerful. A container ship was dragged from Xiamen to Jinmen.

Next one will affect everyone North of Hualien.

Right now we have pretyphoon sunny skies in Taipei. Angry blue skies.

Same here, very beautiful day.

The center of the typhoon should be between Turtle Island and the Southern Japanese islands. It’s definitely going to be annoying, but it’s nowhere close to Meranti. Current forecast had Malakas’ winds peaking around 150 knots during gusts, Meranti had sustained winds above 165 knots. Also, being on the “left side” of the typhoon means we’ll dodge the stronger winds.

I just realized I got me a nasty sunburn. Neck, back and upper arms. It is starting to ouch.

put some aloe vera lotion

Yup. Being in Taipei in such conditions reminds me of the old joke that Paris would be a great city were it not for the Parisians…

Guy

Yilan has holiday tomorrow.

Wohoo!

(?)

Sunset before Typhoon Malakas by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

Interesting sunset right before the typhoon!

1 Like

Lots of people were enjoying the BBQ at dusk…but it just started to rain.

And the typhoon is right on track.

dang that’s a sweet picture.

I assume you are referring to the BBQs at dusk–and not the typhoon tracking map? :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

As for the 11 o’clock news, this typhoon has become “fatter” - which means wider…and a lot stronger.

It was supposed to start affecting us at 3 or 5pm…might start after midday.

But still leaving Sunday…little hope for Monday off. However, Taipei, New Taipei and Hualien are no work, no school tomorrow.

Malakas before going to sleep. Pretty uneventful in Yilan so far.

I’m contemplating whether I want to go out for a few hours before it gets really bad.

Getting cabin fever.

Is it supposed to get bad? Little bit of rain, but nothing major so far. Looking at the tracking, it seems that it shifted east a bit.

Thinking just a lot of run up in the north. Should be a pretty good rain storm though. They did close all the department stores in Taipei I saw on the news. Not sure if they did that in the past or not… Just a bit of a drizzle here in Sanxia now.

Paris is the greatest city, at least one of the greatest cities, with all the Parisians imo.

So there is hope for Taipei too! :slight_smile:

Guy

Some windy rain just started in Taipei, Song Shan.

Heavy rain just started in Danshui. But basically no wind yet.