Typhoons 2016

I don’t like this country anymore.

I got out for lunch late. It was not raining much. Now I am stuck listening to John Denver’s greatest hits with my second cup of coffee. Wall of water and occasional gusts of wind.

Useless Trivia
Only two out of the past 107 years did Taiwan not get hit by a typhoon.
In 1914, eight typhoons hit Taiwan.

Source :
http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/knowledge/encyclopedia/ty015.htm

So has the typhoon passed or still looming. Can’t tell looking outside.

Same question as Andrew0409: can we guess that this thing is kind of done for Taipei? Today in Danshui has been mostly low cloud, some showers, and generally still - certainly far less stormy than from the other typhoon a few days ago. I guess from the image below that it’s mostly done, but I’m not sure if we should expect more of a storm as it clears the island.

Not done at all… if anything, seems to be getting rainier & windier by the hills here in Neihu.

A whole lot of nothing in Yilan. It rained a little. Once or twice there was a breeze. Now it’s all calm.

It is slowing down. Still packing winds of 180 kmh.

Biggest problems are showing in mountain areas. Lots of rain in Hsinchu and Miaoli. Chiayi over 200mm of rain. Taipei et al only 100mm so far.

Yangmingshan reports winds category 10.

For Yilan it felt like a regular day of winter, lol

Raining lots here in Hsinchuang really Malakas ang patak ng ulan :grin:

Seems like just some heavy rain for this typhoon. Not too bad I suppose. Doesn’t seem like there should be much damage. any flooding reports?

Not as bad as expected. I mean, one super typhoon and one category 3 and we are still here to tell the tale. So far, it seems we did dodged the bullet. One town in Hualien suffered a severe landslide…but residents had been evacuated. Lots of flooding in Pingtung -the kind where they fish people out on inflatable boats and heavy armored cars. Green Island battered down again. Taitung a bit better but severe agricultural loses. Buy fruits and veggies now because price will go through the roof and/or won’t be able to find what you crave.

As to the tree, well, seems no news should be good news. It was anchored again, and since last time it lost a lot of leaves but was still standing, one hopes it made it again.

http://www.storm.mg/article/165333

However, I did find that as a protest for all the trees irresponsibly cut for construction developments, there is a movement to de-anchor the tree and leave it to its own devices, as it has been done with many others.

http://nomoretakeshikaneshirotree.tumblr.com/

They do have a point as many centenial trees have been cut or destroyed with complete disregard lately. The typhoons do not help. Many centenial trees were lost in universities in Kaohsiung and Tainan due to this Melanti typhoon. I do believe all trees must be protected, unless we want more floodings and landslides, and that the level of attention to this one single tree might feel like mockery with all the destruction around it. But the tree brings tourists and much needed business to the area, so it should stay.

1 Like

Speaking of trees, we aren’t out of the woods yet. Forecast models are predicting another typhoon as soon as the middle of next week.

Trees…woods…I see what you did there.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Wednesday’s a holiday anyways.

There’s definitely something going on in the Pacific, though it’s too early to tell how strong it will be, the direction etc etc.

Oh come on, wtf.

Ok, it’s still very early forecast and 970 hPa is not very scary, but COME ON.

CWB expects a typhoon to be formed Friday/Saturday.

Weekend. It figures.

ECMWF shows the typhoon following a route very similar to Meranti, so South of Taiwan.
GFS is forecasting landfall in Taidong/Hualien.

It looks like they’re playing good cop/bad cop, inverting their roles. For Malakas ECMWF was expecting the typhoon to be a pain in the ass, while GFS correctly predicted it would stay quite far from us.

Just checked the windyty prediction and it also shows the path of Meranti with the eye hitting Kenting around Monday night/Tuesday morning.

That one is ECMWF, for GFS this new typhoon/tropical depression may head straight for Hualien, but with so many days still left to go there’s no way to have an accurate trajectory. I mean, the first forcast for Nepartak had it make landfall in Yilan, then it turned out to hit the Southern part of Taidong.