Typhoons 2016

Strangely, that is what the windyty Android app also shows. So the website and the app are conflicting.

Yeah, it is still days out so anything could happen. But it does look like we will be affected in some way next week. Severity and location yet to be determined.

Our company outing is scheduled for next Friday in Yilan.

Lots of planning has been done for it, which I was a part of. I’m kind of hoping we can’t go.

Thanks for the weather news.
until at this moment we don’t have cable or local tv channel.
wondering if MOD will offer tv news…the sales lady say just add NT70 to monthly bill and you have MOD so I say yes.

MOD man will come to install it this Saturday.

This year the price of fruit has been a pain, all the typhoons hitting the south took their toll.

IKR?
The prices were already jacked up (supposedly) because of the late cold snap there, now they’re just stupid.

I’m getting sick of going to the fridge and finding only fucking apples in there
I hate apples

JTWC think Megi will peak around category 3 before clipping Pingdong on Tuesday

Upgraded to “tropical storm”.

On its current path, Megi is expected to either make a landfall on Taiwan or brush past its southern tip as it moves through the Bashi Channel toward China, the bureau said, advising the public to take precautions.

Current storm projection by Weather Underground:

Looks like Taidong might be having it rough again.

Looks like the track is edging north though.

Now both ECMWF and GFS models showMagi becoming a typhoon and making landfall somewhere in Taidong/Hualien

Yeah, that’s a pretty solid looking steering ridge sitting above the typhoon so i can’t see Megi deviating too much - so here we go again. The good news is that the north-east monsoon has started blowing every day and that should limit its development. (Though Ibis, typhoon plus north-east monsoon can also equal huge rain in Ilan)

The other good thing is that i don’t need to spend too much time preping coz most of it is still in place from the last two!

Well, to be fair ANYTHING causes huge rain in Yilan, all the time :grin:

( :cry: feelsbadman)

Looks like now all models agree on the typhoon making landfall in Taidong, again.

In 2010, there was also an autumn typhoon called Megi. Tracked quite a bit further south than this one. That was the one that sent the buses off the cliffs of the Su Hwa Highway and flooded parts of Ilan. Admittedly, that was in October when the north-east monsoon is in full-swing, and it was a cat 5 from memory, but jesus80, i wouldn’t be taking the motorbike out for a spin on the Su Hwa on Tuesday.

Damn it, then I’ll need to ride my bicycle! :smiley:

Jokes aside, I don’t get why i shouldn’t ride that night. It’s not that strong, and it’s passing by the South, right?

BTW, I cycled like 65 km last typhoon… by night, under on-off rain :smiley:

Ok, go for it - just don’t forget the helmet cam so you can hook us up with a live feed. And maybe pack one of those fold-away shovels in case you get buried in a landslide.

It will be no big deal in Taipei, but the east coast up to Ilan will cop some torrential rain

Most people know this i suppose, but the only track really worth watching at this point is the CWB Typhoon Warning one. It’s usually accurate and is updated every few hours while tracks like JTWC are only updated every 6 hours.

Now appears to be drifting a little north and North Taidong, Hualien and Illan may be the worst affected areas, while Pingdong could get a lot of the back-half rain. It’s relatively disorganized compared to the ‘perfect storms’ we’ve had, but then again, Marokot was also pretty disorganized, and late season typhoons can carry a lot of rain.

Should start to impact the coast around sunrise tomorrow morning with the peak around midday.

1 Like

Megi is starting to appear on CWB’s radar

Game on:

Taipei, Sept. 26 (CNA) The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) issued its first land warning for Typhoon Megi Monday morning, following a sea warning overnight, as the storm approached the island from the east.

Megi is likely to make landfall in an area near the border of Hualien and Taitung counties in eastern Taiwan Tuesday before sweeping across the island with powerful winds and heavy rain and moving out to sea that night, according to the CWB forecast.

It will affect the island the most on Tuesday and Wednesday, the CWB said, adding that Taiwan is expected to be out of the storm circle of the typhoon Wednesday morning.

Sunny skies not for long -pal in Tamsui said it was kind of typhoony in the morning over there.

Taipei, Sept. 26 (CNA) Rain is expected across all areas of Taiwan on Monday as Typhoon Megi takes aim at the island, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said.

In parts of northern Taiwan and the northeastern county of Yilan, intermittent rain had already started in the morning and heavier rainfall can be expected in the afternoon, the bureau said.

Rain will also begin in the eastern counties of Hualien and Taitung as well as in mountainous areas of central and southern Taiwan later in the day, according to the CWB.

From Accuweather:

On Monday, outer rain bands from Megi will begin to move into Japan’s southernmost Ryukyu Islands and eastern Taiwan, but the most intense winds will remain across the Philippines Sea posing hazards only to shipping interests as rain, wind and seas increase around its center.

Danger to lives and property will heighten Monday night as the typhoon takes aim at land.
Near the point of landfall in southeastern Taiwan, wind gusts are expected to be near 200 km/h (125 mph). Rainfall will exceed 250 mm (10 inches) in many areas. Over 500 mm (20 inches) could fall in some of the mountainous terrain.

> Even though Megi will pass well to the south of Taipei, the city could still see damaging wind gusts of 115-145 km/h (70-90 mph). Power cuts and minor structural damage are possible.

There is a greater risk of Megi causing wind damage and flooding across Taiwan since the island has been affected by both Super Typhoon Meranti and Typhoon Malakas in the last two weeks.

"Even though Megi will not be nearly as strong as Meranti, it could cause more damage than expected because of infrastructure already weakened by Meranti and the glancing blow from Malakas," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Jason Nicholls said.

Already saturated and loose soil could lead to flash flooding and mudslides.

Keep an eye on the TWB website, they’re starting to call off some areas.