Typhoons 2017

Dear Ibis,

I know you love posting these moving images. It’d be awesome if you could ADD SOME COMMENTARY INDICATING WHY YOU THINK THESE IMAGES ARE WORTHY OF OUR ATTENTION.

Otherwise, when I see these images, I’m afraid I can only think of the last three letters of your moniker.

Best regards,
Guy

3 Likes

That sounds like a lot of work, though…

For me, it’s a thankful reminder to go check my own sources…

I try to post anything that forms around the usual spot and/or that appears to be headed in our direction. W94 will bother Hong Kong so I didn’t even mention it.

Most of my messages would have to be a copy/paste like:“THERE’S SOMETHING FISHY GOING ON…but it’s too early to tell if it will become a typhoon, if it will disappear, if it will impact Taiwan, etc etc”.

Consider my messages as a very, VERY early warning system!

No easy baskets.

That’s like…stealing your enemies sword and using it against him.

1 Like

95W : meh

96W : meh

97W: has some potential, but far from Taiwan

:bowing:
:sob: :sob:

Because there’s nothing even remotely similar to a typhoon right now xD

All the current depressions are very far to the South or to the North of the Pacific Ocean. None of them are likely to become typhoons, and will not bother Taiwan at all anyway.

This is the perfect time to play the banjo duel song from Deliverance every time we think:“The weather is so nice, what could possibly go wrong!”

Very good news. Fuji Rocking next week, I don’t want no heavy weather messin’ with the gig.

Some ugly forecast for next week. During the next two or three days there may be something forming East of Papua New Guinea. Forecast’s trajectory leads it in our direction.

Keep in mind, this is not set in stone, the formation doesn’t exist yet. It’s just forecast and we’ll know more about it in the next few days. Unfortunately all the other storms that formed up so far either went far South or North, leaving a nice tunnel of hot water to our East.

Now even Windyty (which changed to just Windy?) is showing some grim news for the next weekend.

This might qualify (the one off the north east coast of ppe). Looks set to affect the south-east of Taiwan as early as tomorrow

Doubt it will develop into a fully-fledged typhoon but it could reach TS strength

1 Like

It will drop some rain and lower the temperature. I wish we had it here xP

Tropical storm Noru may develop in something really interesting, but luckily it will have no effect in Taiwan.

Anyone heading to Taidong or Kenting today will be in for some wet weather

Nothing too severe at the moment but need to watch out if you’re travelling on the mountain road connecting Taidong to Pingdong

I have a flight on Friday to Okinawa. I’m worried. It’s on Tiger Air, which I’m already worried about.

1 Like

Here’s the chart for Friday

Although there is a typhoon forming to the south east of Taiwan, it won’t affect your flight to Okinawa unless there’s a dramatic change in the forecast

It may, however, follow you up there

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/forecast/fcst/Data/2017-0723-12000_A016.jpg

Whats your take on a trip to the east coast like Hualien for next weekend?

Depends what happens with the system in the above chart, which is for this Friday. If it’s ‘as forecast’ then it will still be ok

Will keep an eye on it and let you know if there is any change

1 Like

Noru (the black hole of death in the center) is looking incredible, but its interaction with Kulap to the North and the imminent invest 99W to the South is too complicated to be predicted. I’ve checked some models and the resulting paths for Noru ranges anywhere between Taiwan and Northern Japan.

If meteorology was a democracy, most models see Naru swallowing Kulap and head to the North-West as a result of the interaction between the two (Fujiwhara effect). This would lead to no effect on Taiwan. A couple of models predict it going over Okinawa, and that would be “mildly” annoying for us.

A similar issue applies to invest 99W:

Way too many variables.

I have no idea why, but i love looking at those charts.