Typhoons 2017

Had the same exact thing in Taipei. Rained haaaaard for half an hour or so, then blue skies and winds to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv787NzZNPI

1 Like

Yeah, pretty meaningless in terms of precipitation.
Like pissing in Moose Lake, as my Uncle used to say.

Holy shit! I think this rain dance stuff is working!

Either that or CWB is following this thread coz they’ve just issued a heavy to torrential rain warning for east of the central range

I do love the rain-warning categories on CWB - they’re very Taiwan: Heavy - Extremely Heavy - Torrential - Extremely Torrential

26 pm

3 Likes

Heavy - Extremely Heavy - Torrential - Extremely Torrential - Extremely Torrential with Prejudice - Extremely Torrential with Prejudice and Malice Aforethought…

2 Likes

Well it rained on the Argentina-Uganda football match. Fortunately, it cleared up, and now there is a lovely rainbow across the field.

1 Like

It just rained in Taipei and it was like walking around a Victorian greenhouse. Muggy as hell.

Until that red line makes to Hsinchu County, I will have that video on replay!

Work and classes cancelled for Taitung and Pingtung Counties tomorrow. :beer:

1 Like

Lucky bastards.

2 Likes

I got drenched in water on my way home, 25 minutes that felt like riding a bicycle inside a swimming pool. Not much wind, though. I hope the weather tomorrow morning will be more reasonable.

Little rain just started in Xindian.

Still looks like the main body of the system is well to the south of where they say it is, but that may be due to its inability to properly wind the storm around its core - or it may be just plain wrong

The rain has been on and off - though the ‘on’ is very on

Looks to be mainly an east coast event at this stage with the biggest falls in Hualien

Ultimately, south-east China and Hong Kong would seem to be in the greatest danger of destructive rains

1 Like

I see Taidong and Pingdong counties both had work and school cancelled today - that’s one of those decisions where the bosses could be rightly feeling pissed-off

Most places in Taidong had around 30-70 mil of rain - all of which fell overnight. Today has been mostly dry, even sunny, with a gentle breeze

CWB appears to have goofed on where they located the storm despite satellite images showing the main body being well to the south

I get that it’s not an exact science, but it does seem to be another case of blindly following the computer model while ignoring the reality of the sat and radar images

Good info! Just downloaded the official taiwan weather bureau app – gives lots of good intel (and tons of warnings…) about upcoming Typhoons and Extreme Weather conditions. Highly recommend.

I see thunderstorms in Taidong most of the day Friday and Saturday. Do you think they’re overestimating the lingering effects of the typhoon or is this another system? I’ll be there starting Friday.

Eh a pal is planning to go to Green island and take the Barf Barge on Friday/Saturday. Should they make other plans?

Ha! Actually, Green Island is out. My friend is bringing his infant.

So far, it looks like a swim (5k for me 10k for my friend- I kid you not), followed by aboriginal music Friday night. The rest of the weekend depends on the weather. As for the swim, I don’t mind doing so in the rain or even during a mellow typhoon (not an ocean swim), but lightning would scare me. So @TaidongCouncil, what do you say?

I was waiting on CWB to update their barometric forecast charts - supposed to happen at 4pm - but the lazy loafers still haven’t done it

Anyway, there is another low pressure moving through around Friday and there’s a reasonable chance that could develop into a typhoon by then

So, at this stage it is looking a bit dicey for next weekend - I will keep you updated

Green Island in particular is probably not a good idea - apart from rough seas on the trip out you may end up stuck there for days if a typhoon does hit

1 Like

As for the current situation, it has worsened as we are copping a lot of tail action

Beinan and Chihben have been getting dangerously big rain in the last few hours and there would seem to be quite a bit more to work through over night

There is tremendous rain in this storm - we’re bloody lucky we didn’t get the brunt of it - it could end up being a major disaster in south east China

The eye is now visible for the first time - in fact it’s jumping up in intensity quite dramatically

1 Like