Typhoons 2017

This is CWB’s chart for Friday

The Low on the bottom right could well be a typhoon by then

It is currently forecast to stall in that position for a few days, and if that happens then the weekend in Taidong might be ok…

A HUGE shower in Yilan, just while I was on the road between the station and home -_-

Low pressure, in the name of love, stop!
supremes-stop-in-the-name-of-love-tumblr_mcvq2czhrm1ridow9o1_1280

1 Like

Really terrifying images.

21056052_1479359488817838_364849428924933084_o

First T10 alert in five years: follow Typhoon Hato live in Hong Kong

Headed towards Guangdong, oh oh.

It’s pretty unusual for a typhoon to perfectly pick the gap between Taiwan and Philippines on its way to China and Hong Kong, so yeah, there would be grave concerns for flooding and landslides over there

1 Like

Leave the rain, take the damage elsewhere, now that’s a perfect storm.

Yeah, we definitely dodged … well not a bullet … more like a carpet bombing
Had a bit of drama when my pond’s drainage system failed - with the potential to erode and collapse the walls as it started wildly overflowing - but there is something bracing about getting out in a storm and dealing with a problem, and apart from that the water tanks were filled and the garden is watered so it was a good result

Not so great in Macau by the looks

28 pm

I was in Macau once when a typhoon hit, and there was no taxi willing to take people from the hotel to the airport because a section of road right before the bridge to the airport flooded. Finally a SUV taxi came and crammed several of us into it. The taxi drove into the water and luckily it did not stall. Not a really fun experience though.

Yeah, there’s definitely a kind of Lieutenant Dan-type rush to being out there in it.

http://i.imgur.com/q8NIg6w.gif

Back in the old days, more than once one found oneself up on the roof of a barn or other structure frantically nailing down loose shingles or sheeting as a full-on Bill & Jo-level twister walked up the highway towards one.

1 Like

My wife always complains when I open the windows during a typhoon to check out what’s going on outside 8(

Indeed!

Since of these pics/gifs are really scary!

1 Like

The amount of damage their highrises took seems ridiculous.

I saw a collage video last night and thought about posting but it seemed almost too much and I wondered if it was a compilation of different typhoons - but seems like it wasn’t coz there’s lots of the same stuff as your link

The crane spinning is a bizarre image and there was another one where the guy filmed his window exploding as waves smashed through it

As for those considering a trip to Taidong this weekend, the low mentioned is developing, though whereas CWB had it stalling east of PPE for several days, they’ve now got it taking off like a rocket and going straight through the PPE

Either of those scenarios would be ok, the second will mean some showers, but the way CWB flip-flops its pressure charts, hard to say with confidence

1 Like

Are those unfinished highrises or blown out windows?

Warning: There is one disturbing image in this where a van appears to blow on top of someone

It’s surprising how many people were out in the streets - they are saying 16 dead now - and it’s not hard to see why from the videos that are coming out

https://youtu.be/DYWOJYxj734

Too many “typhoon chasers” for my taste. Too many videos of people in teh wterfront, waves coming in. Eh, self preservation anyone? And them telling te camera “I have done thie for years, it is safe!”

Whoa whoa whoa. Never saw someone being dragged like that due to wind

According to residents of Macau, they did not have enough warning. 12 deaths there. Lots of scaffolding = death flies all around you. Plus drownings.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2108097/hatos-aftermath-hongkongers-pick-pieces-one

If you dare to see something really scary, even roaches fled from this storm:

https://youtu.be/2LV-006WVBU

#roacheswelcome
#notallroaches