Typhoons 2017

Lanyu during typhoons is an apocalyptic scenario, yet people have no issues living there.

Yeah, them Kardashians are actually Armenian, good luck passing them off as Nipponesers.

The whole theory is chicken-ass dumb any fuckin ways, the Chermans would have never gone for it, since, as we here know all too well, everyone hates Asians.

I love the reference/joke and I hope it will not be removed!

This is also being listed as the most potent hurricane in the Atlantic oceanā€¦ever! I saw yesterday that it broke another record for having sustained winds (not gusts) over 185 mph for more than 33 hours straight.

It recently calmed down, sustained winds are ā€œonlyā€ 175 mph now. Still a category 5.

First of all, both of those places belong to a much larger, heavily industrialized entity whose resources are readily available to them.

Second, ermā€¦

Antigua and Barbuda/GDP per capita: 14,353.38 USD

Japan/GDP per capita: 38,894.47 USD

Evacuations, emergency services, that shit ainā€™t free, man

1 Like

Saw Barbuda has around 95% destruction. How do you prepare for that??

You think so? All I read in Sopanish are bad to worse news. Worse! They just had an 8.1 quake off the coast of Mexico, tsunami alert from Central America to Ecuador. :sob:

Wow. Just when you think things could not get worseā€¦

Guy

Well, a lot of those islands belong to France, UK, US and the Netherlands.

Ridiculousā€¦

And they call me Auntie Panic.

Really???

Check your facts.

Stop angering the God Emperor Trump! Three hurricanes + earthquake + tsunami should be enough of a lesson!

Iā€™m wondering about construction standards. Just wondering thoughā€“little idea of the reality in either placeā€“but even with the strength of this storm the damage seems unbelievable. These islands know theyā€™re going to be hit more than occasionally. I doubt small Okinawan islands have that much greater resources availableā€“weā€™re not talking about Tokyo here.

I think this just show the magnitude of this particular storm. Barbuda is reportedly 95% destroyed.

In Lanyu the traditional homes are built with part of the walls underground and a moat-like thing around themā€¦not really high tech, but people have been living there for ages (and Cat 5 typhoons in the Pacific are FAR more frequent than Cat 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic, though being of similar intensities)

1 Like

Yes? Saint Martin is shared by France and the Netherlands, British Virgin Islands are British, Puerto Rico is American. There are other Saint something islands which are also French. They got hit bad as well. According to reports ā€œmost of the solid buildings on Saint Martin are flattenedā€.

Antigua and Barbuda and the Bahamas are not, obviously.

And yeah Lanyu and Green Island get hit all the time as well. Okinawa too. Iā€™m not saying they always survived unscathed, but theyā€™ve never gotten 95% destroyed. Thatā€™s preposterous.

Houses here and in Okinawa are made of concrete and reinforced steel. That definitely makes a big difference.

And now itā€™s raining in Taipei.

8(

You in my FB feed? There are already enough conspiracy theories, citing Kathrina as man made, saying this is a way to empty Florida of illegals and poor people.

On the other hand,

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia