Typhoons 2017

Didn’t we have something like that a few months ago or last year? We got hit with two or three fronts one after the other. There’s in image here or on the weather thread.

I dob’t remember 8(

I remember it like it was yesterday, and I wasn’t even in the country when it happened.

I’ve not had any beer today, so my brain is not fully functional.

2 Likes

Now that I think about, if two typhoons of equal strength impact on each other and you’re right between them, the contrasting winds will cancel each other out and you can just stay there drinking beer in your underpants while looking completely badass.

Pretty sure it works. More studies are required.

A fairly important update: now both GFS and ECMWF are expecting Nesat to make landfall in Taiwan, between Pingdong and Hualien.
Expected winds are around 100knots at their peak, which is a category 3 typhoon.

Odds for work being cancelled on Monday???! :grin:

Odds are higher for us not having a weekend are higher.

Haha. I may miss out on Monday if that’s the case anyway as I’m flying back Sunday night :tired_face:

Correct!

For GFS the typhoon will make landfall far South, impacting mostly Pingdung/Taidong on Saturday night. For ECMWF landfall will be Sunday night in Hualien, which might lead to Monday off in Hualien/Yilan but I wouldn’t count on it too much.

This is still an early forecast though, but if many models start to hint at Nesat making landfall somewhere in Taiwan, I think it’s fair to assume it will happen.

In any case, it seems certain we will have a lot of rain, right? No matter where/if it hits Taiwan, with all that moisture in the vicinity, the weekend is lost?

Start acquiring typhoon provisions: water, bread, canned food…entertainment.

The timing and location between the two forecasts varies a lot. Saturday may be left untouched by the impending doom until late evening.
I wouldn’t make any major plan for the weekend, at least not while we’re still in this random-forecast phase.

That article is almost like a copy/paste of the last couple of days of this thread xD

Flying out tonight for Okinawa. I appreciate your guys’ info. I’m nervous about the flight.

Ffs, the trajectory is on my house xD

We’re flying out Monday morning. Hope the typhoons decide to head in another direction.

They have us surrounded. The poor bastards.

Very interesting thread, thanks a lot for pointing out the lots of uncertainties!

Latrst forecast shows landfall in Taiwan with “high certainty”, though the location is not clear yet. Looks like it may be between pingdong and hualien, very few models show the typhoon going further north.

Imgur

Here is our lil cute black hole of impending doom! We’re the tiny purple thing starting at the top left of the image.

At least this morning when I turned on the news, Taiwan, US and Japan agencies all agreed we would have a typhoon hit us!

Now, as to strenght and direction, stay tuned.