Uber is Better

I last used it when I went back home, was really cheap.

Had to take my 16yo brother to school at 7am, NOPE uber time and I get to sleep til 9am. Was great.

Uber isn’t cheap, it’s artificially cheap. Uber stays cheap by:

1. Not paying taxes, registering as a taxi firm, considering workers employees, paying insurance… In fact any loophole or illegality it can use it’s money or legal team to take advantage of.

2. Keeping prices artificially low to destroy the competition. The plan is to jack up the prices when the other options are gone. Uber lost 5 billion USD last year. It’s not a sustainable business. It cannot succeed.

Ride sharing is fine, but companies need to play by the rules otherwise we will be welcoming a new era of the darkest laissez faire capitalism in which corporations are allowed to ride roughshod over the employment laws that were hard fought for over the last hundred years. Uber views itself as above the laws of the nation state, a worrying trend from both Wall Street and silicon valley.

As consumers we should vote with our pockets over what future we want for our societies.

That is a huge loss O.o

I like certain aspects of it a lot and it’s always been enjoyable when using it.

I like the app, the service, the clean cars and the fact don’t have to pay with cash.

Everything else stinks

I was home in January btw

That’s what they said about Amazon, lost money many years, always got stocked up from share holders, drove out the competition and can now do what ever it wants.

Yep I have some interesting books from the days of the robber barons about this. The robber barons made their money by eliminating competition in huge captured markerts such as power, finance , transport etc.

Slightly different though, Uber is a taxi firm. If it is forced to run as a profit making business, it has no competitive advantage outside of its app. In fact it has way higher outgoings than any taxi firm in the world (PR teams, marketing teams, legal teams, developers, expensive offices etc) , so it’s operations costs are huge. Once the subsidies go, they have to compete on price and a traditional taxi firm will always be cheaper.

Their business model makes no sense. Impossible to succeed

They make people believe it makes sense, it’s a SHARING thing! :rofl:

I’e used uber a few times in the last week, it’s still cheaper than taxis

Not when I took it for longer distances . Also their quoted fares seem wildly inaccurate.
Dont get the love for Uber , do get get the annoyance for taxis in Taiwan though.

My number one pet peeve of Uber is their duplicitous, aggressive PR team. Anytime a local government or organization tries in anyway to make Uber fairly follow the laws of the land, they always come out with the same old nonsensical spiel “… Is anti innovation, stuck in the past, pandering to unions, pandering to taxi lobby’s blah blah blah”

Ubers goal is to get rid of employees altogether.
Or contractors as I guess they call them.

Well as you know my school of thought is as close to minimal state and anarchism without actually crossing the line into anarchy

I think the government should butt out of regulating everything unless something is demonstratively harmful to others … I support a complete deregulation of the taxi industry and have no issue if local citizens want to set up their own taxi services, as long as they meet minimum safety standards and pay corporate tax. It would have the added benefit of forcing leech companies like uber to leave.

Won’t ever happen but just some rambling thoughts :slight_smile:

There is an article on this somewhere. That Ubers only hope is self driving cars, but this will be fruitless. It’s just the spiel they are selling to investors.

1)We are years away from self driving cars bring used commercially. Uber have accrued billions of debt and there is no reason to believe they will survive that long.

2)Ubers model is based on that they don’t own any vehicles. They put all the financial risk on the driver’s and claim that they are just a tech company, a middleman connecting drivers with riders.

A self driving car model would be a 360 turnaround. They would have to purchase millions of vehicles. They would also become liable for all insurance claims. Uber wouldn’t have any advantage in a self driving car market.

The company is a pyramid scheme and it’s run by the very worst people on the planet. Travis Kalanick is a nastier, greedier version of Gordon Gecko. We should be very vigilant on companies like Uber and empower governments to control them very closely

Better drivers. - Anyone is a better driver than most of the guys!
No stop, go, stop, go, stop, go 5 times even just between 2 stoplights. -traffic?
No stinky taxi. -Always smelled nice and was clean so far
No trying to run down pedestrians in crosswalk. -Just TW thing
No window so full of electronics and buddha statues that driver can’t see. -Only ever see TV in back of seat, but no Buddha’s
No yelling and making hand signals at other car or bus drivers. -All the ones i’ve taken are silent
No burping, coughing up lunch, making lip smacking picking teeth sounds. -Nothing like this either
No quizzing partner about the foreigner in the car. -Or this
No wooden beads on the seats. -Had this a couple times
No watching soap opera on TV while flying down the road. -Only ever see GPS
No 30 year old Taiwanese opera music. -Aha yea, but who cares
No Hakka lessons. -Never had Maori’ in the car doing a war dance…

What’s wrong with wooden bead cushions?

I’m not a Uber user (and rarely a taxi user), and I’m not very familiar with the company.

That said, I’m not sure about that (again, based on the info you included). Why can’t Uber keep their model and depend on private owners of driverless cars? Obviously there would be a mix of driver and driverless for some time, but we can see a day where driverless cars are the norm. When that time comes Uber would still have its sub-contractor model, private citizens would be free to purchase/insure multiple driverless cars and make them available to Uber, and both sides win. (except taxis, of course)

If the meta is to do away with the ‘burden’ of humans in the taxi industry by subverting the taxi industry - a flanking maneuver where bothersome human drivers are eventually left out - then Uber’s model would still accomplish that, no?

But how would that work? You are waiting for not only the commercial adoption of Self Driving Vehicles (10-15 years away). Uber are buuuuurrrrrning through cash and will never last that long. And their plan is a future where millions of people purchase self-driving vehicles and are ready to sublet to Uber? Pretty unrealistic plan to build your companies future on

If you follow Uber carefully, they have invested in Self driving vehicles and have teased with the idea of owning the cars. This is just to excite investors.

Check out this article (last part of brilliant series) https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/12/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-eleven-annual-uber-losses-now-approaching-5-billion.html

The whole series is organized better here https://medium.com/@michaelhaupt/this-is-such-an-important-read-its-worth-providing-the-link-1bbe9304a3a8