Uber? Should Taiwan allow Uber to operate?

First time I’ve ever seen the word, “ergo” used.

Maybe you should consider reading more?

It’s a strange world we live in, if basic arithmetic is considered radical politics.

But thanks, although funnily enough I don’t feel like being productive today. I might go see to my license-free vegetables.

Love this quote:

“Productive”: I was pointing out that cars are one of the most expensive, and the most ludicrously underused, toys that our civilization has ever produced. They are a scourge, a pox, a massive black hole into which vast sums of money are poured for no apparent result except “entertainment”. This is nothing short of obscene in a world where a billion people live in packing crates and eat trash to survive. Anything that makes cars into marginally-productive assets is a Good Thing in my book.

Just to tell you guys, as a curious detail, for example in the ol country the taxis are more like a mafia, stricly “coop”, licenses go for millions, practically no independents. Hence, no desire to improve service, they choose if they take you or not depending on their mood, and overall very dangerous indeed no safer than taking a bus. UBER provided a venue for MORE people to work in transportation, instead of less. The taxis response? Burning UBER cars … passengers and drivers still in, barely making a escape out alive. Closing down highways, especially the ones one the way to hospitals. Most common people are against them but as said, they carry the “official” seal -translation: they help during election time, don’t ask, so government officials owe them, mafia is helpful sometimes.

I still take uber today, did it this morning. I asked the driver if he was afraid of the fines, he said no and off we went.

This country is already pretty shitty so if this causes issues with the residents and workers, then so be it.

As I mentioned it’s not a few pensioners, but 10,000s all over Taiwan. Sometimes these people are supporting families, wives, grandkids too.

I don’t think taxi driving should be a form of social welfare. But if that’s the only option to many (and obviously it is or many wouldn’t do it) then who are we to take it away and give the money to some shareholder overseas or say that they’ll ‘figure it out’.

Yes you can’t stop ‘progress’ but there’s got to be a managed approach to it (and for what its worth I also think cars are extremely environmentally destructive from many angles. For instance I often marvel about how many wide roads have been built all over Taiwan and then the space that is taken up by all the parked cars).

There’s an unemployment train wreck coming down the road in transportation industries and that’s just the start.

And uber needs to pay their taxes and their social welfare contributions full stop…just like any business.

And the people doing this managing should be the same people who have failed to provide a social safety net for those pensioners you keep going on about? Yup, sounds like a great plan to me.

And how do you propose these additional taxes are going to be funded, except by increasing the cut they take from drivers? It’s the little guy who pays for this stuff. It’s always the little guy who pays. That’s how “trickle down” really works.

Well the problem is there is no social safety net of consequence for them.

There’s no reason the government couldnt manage enhanced welfare systems they already have a well developed and managed health insurance system and a generous system for civil servants. There’s the beginnings of a system for younger people but a lot of older people got stiffed on the old employer based pension system.

Some countries already are moving towards minimum income guarantee, it’ll happen pretty much everywhere eventually.

really, thought the health insurance plan here was almost going to shit.

Nope.

“The company considers Taiwan an important market,” Uber Taiwan general manager Gu Li-kai (顧立楷) said. “We hope to stay and to grow our business here. We hold a relatively optimistic view about this.”

Gu said the company is willing to pay e-commerce operator taxes, that mean Google Play, Uber and Apple Store pay 5 percent business tax.

Uber in talks with more than 10 insurers, including Fubon Insurance Co (富邦產險), to offer insurance solutions for its drivers, Gu said.

However, insurers are conservative about collaborating with Uber due to the government’s ambiguous stance over its ride-sharing service, Gu said.

I didn’t know uber could tell the government what they should pay in taxes, did you?

I must try that trick next time I file my taxes. See how it works out.

Why doesn’t uber just pay the taxes and contributions like other companies? Is it because their business model doesn’t work otherwise or just that they are greedy sons of bitches?

Interesting to see how they treat their employees.

That “Cool Internetty Silicon Valley shit” along with the promise of Marriage Equality is basically what got the current president in Office, so much so that they’ve already secured the majority of funding for the whole Asian Silicon Valley plan they’ve somehow managed to draw up in record time leaving behind other equally, if not more important issues. Whenever it’s related to money, it’s never a issue that gets put on the back burner.

In regards to Uber’s latest developments though. The promo they ran changed my stance on Uber as a company as a whole. They obviously had no concern for drivers at that point or if, after taking a selfie for $$$ government would choose to identify the drivers in the uploaded pictures and pursue any kind of legal action against them or not. It also pissed me off that they chose to hold their Standbyu campaign on the same day as people were demonstration outside the Yuan as they reviewed the same sex bills. Like sure, let’s draw people away from a more important issue by having a big extravagant event. That was extremely irritating to me.

Bottom line, yes Uber needs to pay their damn taxes like any other company in whatever country they do business, not specifically just with Taiwan. I would like to see where that money is going to be put back in the economy tho because it should be a fairly large amount. But in regards to the outdated laws, change them. Taiwan needs to do more then just talk. Once Uber either pays the taxes or gets the hell out of the country the issues still remain in regards to ridesharing services, and how Taiwan is going to create this Silicon Valley that there are huge amounts of money going into.

I understand things take time, and perhaps Yingwen has some good plans but creating this Silicon Valley is going to require actual innovation and acceptance of innovation, and changes of laws.

I’m sorry how does the link you provided provide a testimony for how Uber treats their drivers? The thread is a disgruntled dude who’s saying Uber takes 35%, which clearly, they don’t as per terms of contract and that he would purposely penalize the client if they chose not to tip a certain percentage when it’s specifically stated tipping is not required, nor expected.
You can’t penalize one party because the other failed to properly understand the contract. Perhaps it is shitty and he feels disgruntled with the fact that some choose not to tip. But the choice whether or not to give a tip, unless recommended by the business establishment (Which it’s not) is entirely up to the customer to decide. If that’s not something he/she agrees with then perhaps they should find employment with another business. I fail to see how this thread represents the poor treatment of drivers rather then this “independent contractors” poor ability to understand a contract.

[quote=“wangkesen, post:115, topic:154722, full:true”]
The thread is a disgruntled dude who’s saying Uber takes 35%, which clearly, they don’t as per terms of contract[/quote]

Where can we read this contract?

You can view all the Uber legal documents and terms of use etc at this link.

Well 35% is a big whack of change , it used to be 25%.
I also think they should allow a tipping option on the payment form.

Uber’s real dodgy practices are their Uber rental contracts where they rent the car to you or fund you the purchase of a car by a loan, seems almost impossible for the drivers to make a living that way.

That’s an interesting customer contract. Imagine having to read all that and sign it before taking a taxi!

Now could you please direct me to the driver contract? I can’t find it anywhere on the site.

Is actually the main page for all the Uber documents, did you not see the “All Documents” link within the hyperlink I sent?

These guys have analysed the numbers and they say Iber is playing games with their stated commission.