Uber? Should Taiwan allow Uber to operate?

I saw it, and clicking on it didn’t help. I also clicked on “become a driver”, and that didn’t help either.

Very interesting, including the comments. It looks like the guy is promoting a competitor, but he has a point about the numbers. The commenter who suggests comparing the numbers for conventional taxi companies also has a point.

Of course, what they discuss there is mostly the US incarnation of Uber, and even then the numbers depend on whether it’s UberX or Uber-Whatever.

Does anyone know why the incarnation of Uber operating in Taiwan is Dutch?

Probably something to do with tax laws, but I wouldn’t know beyond that.

Instead of fining Uber, whose drivers almost universally drive within the law. Why don’t they actually crack down on drivers or riders who run red lights, turn on red park illegally, etc.

As some one who walks to and from work each day I see 5-10 cars or scooters blow through red lights daily and the dozens of cars parked illegally, like double parking on a two lane road leaving only one lane available to drive in just so they can stop at the tea store???

Agree 100% those errant drivers should be fined.

Is Uber cheaper? Is it safer? How convenient is it? I know for me trying to order a taxi is impossible since my Chinese is limited.

I have heard the argument that it is a new service and that it is a natural business evolution. If modern taxi companies cannot learn to adapt, they should die away. But, Uber is not regulated, per se. Should Uber have to pay a license to wait at an airport, or train station?

Do they have radios? Or is that another illegal cab service here? Under my windows at night sit a group of people in cars and their comms are on really loud. And they leave betelnut stains everywhere.

I do not really know since I do not know much about it.

You’re completely wrong here. People buy cars to drive for Uber so it’s not a ‘sharing’ thing, they even bring more cars on the road. Uber should not operate as they do at the moment, they are not legit, they do not have a license to operate as a transportation company, so there’s your basis to stop Uber.

I take a taxi on a daily basis and am very pleased with them, almost all drivers I get daily know where I get out, don’t need to say a word, they even give me a discount after 11:00 PM as it’s like 10-20 NT$ more expensive, they refuse to accept that, tried to convince them very often taking it, they say no.

Oh, and no one in the cloud can track me, Uber can and does. They probably sell the info on to others.

Within the law, are you 100% sure about that. Did you ever ask if they have sufficient insurance coverage? And no, Uber does not work within the law.
I’m pretty sure that in case of a srious crsh with people insured or even killed, the insurance company will invalidate the driver’s insurance policy for not being a commercial one. Having a private insurance and doing commercial work, big no-no for many insurance companies. So, basically Uber drivers are not covered within the law.

That’s another issue, does Uber even pay taxes in Taiwan?

@ Belgian Pie,

I meant when they drive they obey traffic laws. Probably due to the fact that they are not insured. The point of the post was that if the government has enough time to go after and fine Uber, they can certainly find the time to do crack down on the umpteen illegal things I see on the streets, sidewalks, crosswalks and alleyways everyday…

Hazardous driving is a public health issue the government refuses to address.

They are going after Uber just because they want a cut of the pie.

If they cared about businesses following regulations we would not have had so many issues with cooking oil over the last few years and the slaps on the wrists those companies paid.

As the company name states … Uber … wants to be Uber alles! (Above all)

“As the company name states … Uber … wants to be Uber alles! (Above all)”

You did not respond to any of the concerns I brought up or the hypocritical nature of the government’s handling of Uber vs. cooking oil companies.

Uber and its drivers have been fined a combined 65 million NT according to this.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/16/uber-taiwan/

But Chann Gong was fined 50 million for selling dirty recycled waste oil.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29137640

Not sure what the food scandals have to do with Uber.
Irrelevant.

Quite relevant in terms of public safety and the government’s response. The government is effectively saying operating a legal company that deliberately poisons people is worse than a company not paying taxes.

And a government that goes after a company that does not pay taxes instead of creating a safer driving environment and fining people for all of the traffic violations I have already mentioned is a government that does not care about public safety and only about the taxes they can collect from said company.

Uber drivers may be uninsured, but who knows what the percentage of drivers currently on the streets driving uninsured to due the fact that they know they will never get pulled over for any traffic violations and will only get in trouble with the law if they do in fact strike a pedestrian or another vehicle.

And if you have cash and are insured, killing two people only gets you three years in prison anyway.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/12/30/2003662187

This is not about insured or uninsured drivers or public safety. It is about money.

Well of course it’s about money since they are not paying their fines?

Well put. I would add that it’s also about votes. The taxi racket–most drivers, and the companies they work for–are faithful, long-term DPP supporters, and the DPP knows which side their votes are buttered on.

And that is why this Uber Witch-hunt infuriating. If the government cared about collecting fines they would inspect factories, breakfast shops and the like regularly. Furthermore, people violating traffic laws would be fined.

Stand on any modestly busy thoroughfare in Taipei, say a T-Junction with two lane roads for an hour.

How many red-lights are blown? How many people turn into pedestrian traffic on red? How many park in cross-walks? How many pull U-turns into oncoming traffic? How many do not yield for pedestrians (including school kids crossing the street) and just dart in between people instead of yielding?

Conjecture is difficult but I am willing to bet that if 100 per day (which would only be 4.1 traffic violations per hour) were fined 300 NT per fine (and you know there are more than 4 per hour) that would net my little T-section in Tianmou 30,000 per month or about 360,000 NT a year.

Extrapolate that to the next intersection 500m down the road. Extrapolate that citywide.

The fines would pale in comparison to what Uber is paying.
And most importantly make the city and country safer for all.

Going after Uber is just cheap politics and nothing more. That is why I also brought up other “irrelevant” government malfeasance like the cooking oil scandals.

It is all connected to me.

Government doesn’t care what I imbibe nor whether I am struck and killed while walking to work.

At least with Uber I know they don’t give a shit.

Sitting down in a restaurant I now have to wonder does the government I pay taxes to even give a shit if the place has been inspected in 5 years?

Jesus, I work for a Japanese company and by law Japanese nationals are NOT allowed to drive in Taiwan because their government deems driving in Taiwan unsafe and therefore make it illegal for their citizens to drive here.

But Uber is the biggest problem in Taiwan for the government to go after?

This is interesting; does anyone have a link about this? I’m really curious about it.

That is interesting. I don’t see how Tokyo could possibly enforce it. Even Japanese people aren’t that law abiding.

Exactly. I did a little research myself and found this information from Japan regarding Japanese nationals driving in Taiwan:

https://www.koryu.or.jp/taipei/ez3_contents.nsf/04/CB36FCB17C294AE7492574C8002298CB?OpenDocument

According to the above, which was last updated in July, 2016, there’s no problem with Japanese driving in Taiwan using an approved Chinese translation of their Japanese license, at least for their first year. After that, they’d need to change to a local Taiwan license.