Uber? Should Taiwan allow Uber to operate?

Are sure it’s not company policy?

I was told this by people at the company I work for and other Japanese nationals. Could be they are mistaken, or misled.

But as far as Tokyo enforcing it, damn, look at what the US is doing with FACTA. Taiwanese government now giving US citizens private banking and housing information to the IRS.

Which, is I guess the point. If the government wants to do something, it will. Not for the benefits of the citizenry, but for more control or profits.

Now they’re trying to have one foot on the right side of the law and the other foot exactly where it was before. The government promises to continue enforcement.

Statistics from the Directorate General of Highways showed that as of Friday last week, Uber has been fined a total of NT$96.49 million: NT$73.25 million for the company and NT$23.24 million for its drivers.

Cry me a river.
Uber, pay your taxes, your fines and your social contributions. You are employing people in Taiwan, you are also operating a business in Taiwan.
Pay up!!!

Uber are not some funky startup or dreamweavers of the a new tech age. They are a company funded by hedge funds , but mostly by Goldman Sachs , hell-bent on using their teams of lawyers to circumvent existing national laws for financial gain. That’s what Goldman like to do. They will find other industries that they can “disrupt” until they take over the world.

Absolutely incomparable to Mrs Wang’s breakfast shack.

They provide a cheap and convenient service, great pay up and follow the laws of the land.

Going back to the hotel analogy, here’s an interesting discussion of Airbnb and similar platforms.

I have used Uber and similar services in several countries and have always found them to be much better than the local taxis. The best was in Mexico. $1.25 for a ride home from the bar - and the driver was a young, educated and sane driver.

In the USA I won’t go to a bar unless I can Uber or Lyft home as I never drink and drive. I live in the suburban USA and hadn’t been out to a bar in years.

The sharing economy is the future definitely. We renting out our homes when out of town (BnB), Uber at al, and automakers are gearing up for sharing vehicles. 20 years from now life will be quite different.

Captain Obvious.
Great paying the peasants peanuts…

One more time … Uber is not a sharing company, AirBnb is for a big part not a sharing company.
People specifically buy cars and condos to make money through those portals.

Yes Uber should be allowed to operate,
…if they apply for license,
like anybody else.

Ding Ding! Uber won the battle for a few years, but Taiwan government wins the war.

Bye Uber.

English Article:

Who wants to bet a “locally developed” app will soon surface?

My thoughts exactly. And none of the people whinging about Uber will have a single word to say about it.

I’m absolutely amazed that there are so many people rejoicing over this, simply on the basis that Uber doesn’t hand over enough cash (in their estimation) to the government. In other words, they’re complaining that drivers are getting too much money, and that a larger cut should be taken from them. Taking money from drivers is apparently OK as long as it’s given to the government (who will waste it) but not if it’s used by Uber to expand and improve the service (which is evil corporate hegemony).

So Uber aren’t able to comply with business regulations and that’s Taiwan’s problem?

The only reason they suspended business is now its unprofitable to operate an illegal business. Until this point it was profitable to ignore the fines and the law and keep collecting revenue.

Sigh. A government victory like this is a loss for consumers and people who wanted to make money without joining some sketchy taxi company. Looks like binlang-chewing ex-con taxi drivers are here to stay. I can smell the second-hand smoke already.

Yeah, this is pretty much a given. I guess it’s just a matter of time.

Of course not. As long as the ones doing the “exploiting” have the same skin color, most people don’t seem to mind much…at least not enough to actually do anything about it.

Almost certainly some locally connected app car companies will be launched.
This is all very predictable, Uber had no chance to break the local guanxi it should have partnered with a local company to do this properly.
Amateur hour.

It hasn’t cost them very much at all to test the govts willpower though and it has been very profitable for them until now to break the law. Uber will probably fail across most of Asia anyway. These app car companies will divide up the world into profitable fiefdoms , you stay out of my patch I’ll stay out of yours.

Oh come on. You were mostly wringing your hands about the little guy being shafted. If the government imposes higher costs on Uber (by moving the goalposts) those costs will simply be passed right back down to the little guy. That’s how all business taxes work.

It just baffles me that most people believe corporations - completely fictitious entities - actually pay taxes. The people who pay taxes, via the company, are the employees. Or the contractors. Or whatever you want to call them. Ultimately, of course, it’s the customer who foots the bill. The corporation is just a proxy for the IRS. In the case of VAT, this is made explicit, but it’s equally true of other kinds of tax, license fees, etc. It’s the guy at the bottom of the heap who pays.

So you’re basically conceding that this had nothing at all to do with Uber ‘following business regulations’ and everything to do with the fact that the wrong people were losing profits?

And that’s going to work out better for drivers and consumers, is it?

PITA for me. Was hard enough to get a ride as it is around here.
Looks like I’ll be apartment hunting soon :frowning:

Uber is paying less than 5% in taxes via their offshore branch and none of it is going to Taiwan. That right there is a huge competitive advantage over local taxi companies.

Secondly, because they declare themselves not a car service company but a software/tech company, they dont feel the need to apply/pay for the permits and fees that local taxi companies do.

These are the primary reasons Taiwan has banned Uber from operating.

You watch. The “local” competitor will do exactly the same thing.

In any case:

a) It’s not illegal for companies domiciled elsewhere to operate in Taiwan. This isn’t North Korea.
b) 5% tax is pretty normal. Who they pay it to is irrelevant; there are double-taxation agreements about that sort of thing.
c) Drivers - the people who are actually operating the cars on a public resource (roads) are paying taxes. Or at least they’re supposed to be.