UK settlement visa

Does anyone have any experience of getting a partner a settlement visa for the UK?

So far we’re ticking all the boxes except for the fact that I don’t have a job (very bad timing to return). We have a place to stay for as long as necessary and food on the table - so there is no reason why we should be a burden on the state (which is what it’s all about). She meets the language requirements, is a graduate with good long term prospects etc.

The government is looking at introducing an £18,000 minimum income limit for those wishing to bring partners in, possibly next March. Evil Tory bastards!

There are agencies that charge serious money to take on your case - I’m not sure if they charge the same if they can’t get you the visa. The Citizens Advice Bureau suggested a local housing trust, who’ll do it on Legal Aid, which I’m hoping is the same level of help.

Any experience?

a TARDIS would be a very nice thing to have…

Look on Taiwanease for Taffy’s thread about this. Some people consider going through a third EU country first. It’s a very right wing law isn’t it.

I have heard that it’s gotten hard enough where the couple just ended up settling in other, less racist EU countries, and piggybacking on their EU visas to live in the UK (eventually).

Get married. Or get her onto a course whereby she can have a student visa for 2-years. If you can show you’ve been living together for 2-years she’ll qualify for a partner/common law visa - get her name on all the bills and keep copies of them. But that has to be renewed every 2-years, marriage is cheaper if you don’t have any savings and don’t plan to later get divorced.

Will be as welcome as AIDS

Get married. Or get her onto a course whereby she can have a student visa for 2-years. If you can show you’ve been living together for 2-years she’ll qualify for a partner/common law visa - get her name on all the bills and keep copies of them. But that has to be renewed every 2-years, marriage is cheaper if you don’t have any savings and don’t plan to later get divorced.[/quote]

Are you sure this advice is up to date? There are many restrictions in place now.

Get married. Or get her onto a course whereby she can have a student visa for 2-years. If you can show you’ve been living together for 2-years she’ll qualify for a partner/common law visa - get her name on all the bills and keep copies of them. But that has to be renewed every 2-years, marriage is cheaper if you don’t have any savings and don’t plan to later get divorced.[/quote]

Are you sure this advice is up to date? There are many restrictions in place now.[/quote]

It’s marriage certificate of 4 years, sponsoring partner with £18,000 minimum salary for 6 months prior to application, job offer in the UK with a minimum salary, or £64,000 savings (from memory). So many British expats who want to return with their spouse are in a stranglehold over this. Typical Tory cockup. I don’t think it’ll last much longer.