Undergraduate Courses (in English) in Taiwan

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading this forum for the past few months and have just created an account because I need some advice.

I graduated from high school two years ago and have been traveling/working for the past 6 months around Hong Kong and mainland China. I’ve decided I want to do a full undergraduate degree somewhere in the region. Taiwan is appealing to me as I’ve heard it’s a particularly nice place to live as well a country that speaks Mandarin. My current Mandarin skills being pretty dismal, I’m looking for courses taught only in English. I would like to know the following:

• How do degrees earned in Taiwan fare internationally? Are they recognized and accredited?
  • What’s student life like? Living costs, parties etc. Are there many international students who come to study here?
  • Are the structures of degrees pretty flexible i.e. will I able to mix Chinese courses and business courses into one degree?
  • Which are the best universities that offer English programs?

I’d prefer to stay in a big city like Tapei. I found a website a while ago, studyintaiwan.org. I couldn’t find a lot of information I was after, though.

Any and all advice welcome!

Ming Chuan University, where I teach, offers English-taught undergraduate degrees. If you go here
mcu.edu.tw/department/inter- … /index.htm
there is more information. I know very little about the program and at least some of the website information is extremely out-of-date. Most of the students are from places like Mongolia or Eastern Europe. There have been Americans in the program, but he was a Mormon missionary who got married here. I met him once and don’t know anything about what’s happened to him since then. Your best bet is contacting the program directly.

There has been an undergraduate program taught in English for many years at NCCU:

nccu.edu.tw/english/about/

iee.nccu.edu.tw/english/admission/iup.php

Degrees are recognized worldwide and furthermore there are plenty of agreements for mutual course recognition with prestigious universities in US, Europe and Asia.

Admission of international students is pretty competitive as there is a large amount of highly qualified prospective students interested in NCCU’s programs. Students come to NCCU for networking and establishing a foothold for their careers in the region.

NCCU is the best choice in instruction taught in English. :sunglasses:

I was unable to find English-taught undergraduate programs on the website you linked to. This page moltke.cc.nccu.edu.tw/qrycourse/qryEngSub.jsp Almost all of these classes seem to be in the Department of English or are English-taught graduate courses in regular departments or international programs. It does not appear possible to get an undergraduate degree at NCCU that’s taught in English. I may be wrong, but anyone expecting that should check this out very carefully.

You can go here

studyintaiwan.org/en/index.html

And click on the link to a PDF called “Study in Taiwan(2011)” that’s toward the bottom right-hand corner of the page.

Then look for programs that offer 90% and above English instruction and show “BA” as the level. See pages 18-22. From there, you need to go to the respective university websites to find out more.

Once again, I am going to warn about the interpretation of this. What does it mean, as this chart states, that 90% of the courses at the Chinese Cultural University BA in Chemistry are taught in English? Do you really believe this? Does that mean every chemistry major is English fluent? The chart is filled with department after department at CCU and other schools claiming that half or more of their classes are taught in English. Asia University claims dozens of departments where half the courses are taught in English. I have been to Asia University and not even the English majors there are up to this in any sense that the original post meant it. There are dozens of departments from my university on this list, including the Department of Applied Japanese, making this claim. This is ridiculous.

I do not know the source of this list but it has no meaning at all and should not be used by students in planning their education.

This is an old post from my blog about ‘Programs Taught in English in the ROC’
scottsommers.wordpress.com/progr … n-the-roc/

It’s all out-of-date now, but read it anyway. You’ll get the idea about programs taught in English here.

As I mentioned, “From there, you need to go to the respective university websites to find out more.”

From my huntings recently, it’s quickly obvious that some of them exist no longer, or lack info, or aren’t really targeted at international students, or just seem crap. But it’s an initial useful list for the OP to peruse and saying “it has no meaning at all” is a little over-the-top. I’ve found several OK options through the list, but of course prospective students have to follow up beyond the websites too.

Sorry, but where is the department of Applied Japanese and BA in Chemistry at CCU mentioned in the document I referred to? I can’t see them. Or are you talking about another list?

[quote=“ScottSommers”]This is an old post from my blog about ‘Programs Taught in English in the ROC’
scottsommers.wordpress.com/progr … n-the-roc/

It’s all out-of-date now, but read it anyway. You’ll get the idea about programs taught in English here.[/quote]

Yep, 2005.

There is some pressure but mostly incentive: colleges get extra money for English taught programs and foreign students enrolled.

NCCU has had these courses for over a decade, it is not a fly by night endevour. As to a full degree in English, I think that the OP wants to combine/add some courses in Chinese, too. The graduate programs that are said to be taught in English are really taught 100% in English at NCCU. If a program is advertised as English taught there, it is.

I have foreign acquaintances in Minchuan U. and their Chinese is not that good, but the courses they take are in enough English for them to be satisfied and participate.

Yes, there are many universities trying to present themselves as more than they are, but that is self-evident. The OP must contact the ones he’s interested in, I’d adivise to call by Skype, and see what the real deal is.

English taught programs have come a long way. When I first applied back in 2000, even English literature at a very prestigious U was taught in Chinese… at graduate level. That wouldn’t be acceptable abroad. Now we have competitive programs, not the best, but remarkable efforts. As with everything else, caveat emptor.

You seem to be confused about my posts. My point was that it does not seem possible to get an English-taught undergraduate degree at NCCU. The website you linked to seems to confirm this. Virtually all the courses listed on the NCCU website as taught in English are either from the English Department, regular graduate departments or international graduate programs at the school. Have a look at it. You’ll see what I mean.

The other link implying that a vast number of programs involve large amounts of English is ridiculous.

Good morning to you too, Scott, now breathe…

I especifically divided the graduate from undergraduate courses. The OP says he/she wants to combine both. I believe there are enough courses in Econmy, Administration and Accounting to get very close to that goal. In teh meantime, OP can study and perfect his/her Chinese, which seem sto be the goal. If the OP chooses to jump in without doing his/her homework, and enroll blindly in a program expecting an all English degree and it is not, well then there is nothing you and I can say that would stop him/her. He/she is doing the initial inquiries, we are just pointing some options. NCCU is the best option in English taught business courses, and probably the best in general business courses. Who knows? In 2 years maybe there will be full 100% English taught undergraduate degree, aside from NTNU’s Chinese Culture program. I know there are some in the works, just need a couple of signatures and voila, we’re in business. That is why I am confident the OP, who is not in a rush to decide, but wants to study in Asia, and has heard good things about Taiwan, so he may be able to find a way. It is not a race to have an undergraduate degree or at least does not seem by the initial post. OP’s been traveling for a while know, he should be able to get around by himself. If what you mean that maybe Taiwan is not the best choice, then after research this OP may decide Hong Kong or Singapur, while more expnsive, might suit his needs better now. We are just pointing the stack where to find some info here. And if you mean the studyintaiwan website sucks, yes it does, and it’s information is not the most updated. But everyone has to contact the universities directly at some point and get it like it is.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have contacted a few universities, all of which have told me what I plan to do is not possible at their respective institutions. I certainly do not wish to jump in blindly, which is why I’m asking these questions well before universities in Taiwan are scheduled to begin(January/February).
Hong Kong would definitely be easier to do what I’m planning to do. I’m considering Taiwan because firstly, they speak Mandarin as opposed to Cantonese. Secondly, I have heard it’s a very nice place to live from almost everyone that has done so. For these reasons, I would like to try my best in giving Taiwan a shot.

The fact that nobody can, with 100% certainty, point me to solid undergrad course taught in English is a little bit worrying to me. Either it means that these programs are so scarce that the general foreign population remains unaware of them or that they simply do not exist. I hope this is not true.

Again, thanks for your responses.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I want to do a pure undergraduate course, taught in English, with the possibility to add Chinese courses which count towards my credits.

[quote=“Jayman_sa”]

EDIT: Just to be clear, I want to do a pure undergraduate course, taught in English, with the possibility to add Chinese courses which count towards my credits.[/quote]

I think you’re going wrong in making learning Chinese a “possibility”. If you want to study Undergrad here in Taiwan, you should make the most of the best it has to offer- a solid training in Traditional Mandarin. If you are not going to pursue Chinese while here, why come? Just go somewhere else like Singapore. Or go somewhere even more internationally recognized like… the USA or the UK.
Plenty of options in English there.

If you do want a competitive edge in Mandarin while taking English courses, check out NTNU or NTU. I had looked into NTNU’s graduate PoliSci/IR program (Which is also a Bachelors program) and from what I understood, its in English with mandatory Chinese lessons. Theyve also got great scholarships available.
NTU is a fine school and internationally recognized. My university in NY had an exchange program with them and from what I remember, you could take many courses in English.

[quote=“Lili”][quote=“Jayman_sa”]

EDIT: Just to be clear, I want to do a pure undergraduate course, taught in English, with the possibility to add Chinese courses which count towards my credits.[/quote]

I think you’re going wrong in making learning Chinese a “possibility”. If you want to study Undergrad here in Taiwan, you should make the most of the best it has to offer- a solid training in Traditional Mandarin. If you are not going to pursue Chinese while here, why come? Just go somewhere else like Singapore. Or go somewhere even more internationally recognized like… the USA or the UK.
Plenty of options in English there.

If you do want a competitive edge in Mandarin while taking English courses, check out NTNU or NTU. I had looked into NTNU’s graduate PoliSci/IR program (Which is also a Bachelors program) and from what I understood, its in English with mandatory Chinese lessons. Theyve also got great scholarships available.
NTU is a fine school and internationally recognized. My university in NY had an exchange program with them and from what I remember, you could take many courses in English.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. By “possibility” I meant that the option is open. Make no mistake, my first priority is learning Mandarin - that’s why I want to go to Taiwan as opposed to HK/Singapore. I’ll check out NTU asap!

EDIT: Damn, turns out I had already emailed NTU and got a response. Their email reads as follows:

Thanks for being interested in NTU. There are 2 semesters in one academic year; first semester usually starts at September and ends in the middle of January , and the second usually starts at February and ends at end of June. And I am sorry to inform you that all the undergraduate programs are taught in Chinese. I suggest that you may study Chinese at least for one year and then consider the degree program. Best regards,

EDIT 2: NTNU looks far more promising. Sending them an email now. I’ll post their response.

[quote=“Jayman_sa”][quote=“Lili”][quote=“Jayman_sa”]
EDIT: Damn, turns out I had already emailed NTU and got a response. Their email reads as follows:

EDIT 2: NTNU looks far more promising. Sending them an email now. I’ll post their response.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Well, from what I hear, NTNU is a great option as well. My professor went there like 15 years ago for the MTC and now I’m going. I’m sure their BA programs are just as good, if not better. Adn again, they have great scholarship options.

Do you know what you want your course of study to be? Major?

NTNU always says that. Studying Chinese for a year and then thinking you’re going to get much out of a standard university lecture is wildly overinflated hopes.

Stick to a program that is intended for international students, unless you’re willing to make the arrangements and take the time to get to a level of Mandarin that won’t have you left behind when classes start up in Chinese. (This is mostly true for spoken Chinese. Reading and writing – I have had a student in Taiwan who were fluent in Mandarin but could not read or write, and he did a four-year degree without ever improving his reading or writing. Pretty scary stuff, but if you know how to harness the power of Interpersonal Relationships among your Classmates™ you will never have to worry about writing a Chinese paper. Your English ability is a great bargaining chip.

^Well… that speaks volumes about your image of the integrity of Taiwanese students…

Edit://
Now that I think about it, many of the Japanese study abroad students never wrote a single paper in my school. A lot of the girls got the boys, who were by far better learned in English, to do almost all of their assignments.

My GOD. I hated them.

It’s not a matter of integrity. It’s a matter of how things are done. Teachers and schools encourage this sort of teamwork and cooperation, in fact. The work is divided up in a sensible manner by the students, based on who is good at what. It’s only the Western teachers who get upset with our ideas about “do your own work” and all that. The Taiwanese students, meanwhile, are learning how to get things done in the real world. (Learning how to use this stood me in excellent stead all the way through completing an MA degree at a Taiwanese university.)

Interesting way to think about it.

But I think from what I’ve seen, it was more the girls wanted sit around and play with thier Hello Kitty while getting the boys to do their work so they could send good grades back to their parents and get checks in return.

I’ll be more open about this type of behaviour, sharing the work load, in Taiwan if its as you say teamwork and cooperation.

I’ve been told that most professors will accept papers written in English regardless of the language the course is taught in, at least at the grad level at NCCU. I know one girl who was encouraged by her instructor to do so…and she’s Russian. :stuck_out_tongue: No direct experience with that, however. So long as he/she can read English and it’s not a class on Chinese literature or linguistics I don’t personally see the difference, but I’m sure it depends on the instructor.

I’ve expressed my opinion on NTNU’s Chinese Culture program, or at least its stated curriculum, in this thread.