Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2016 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Hello all,

For those of you who are new or are thinking about joining us in the future, a quick introduction. We are a small group of cycling enthusiasts that regularly ride together up to 2-3 times a week. Our rides are usually leisure where we stop when needed and usually pick one or two segments (from Strava) that we attack. If group riding is not your thing, but you still want to ride, but don’t know where to go, feel free to leave a comment below or shoot me a PM for any questions, I’d be more than happy to help.

If you have any questions about renting a road bike in Taipei, please check out this thread:
[url]Road bike rental in Taipei?

If you are looking for the bike shop nearest you, please check out the bike shop list I’ve compiled on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/list/taipei-bike-shops%E5%8F%B0%E5%8C%97%E5%96%AE%E8%BB%8A%E5%BA%97-%E6%9D%BE%E5%B1%B1%E5%8D%80-2

I usually post the Saturday ride here two days before the ride, but since the weekday rides are more spontaneous and last minute alterations are made, we communicate via the LINE group.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or whether you’d like to join the LINE group. We also use the LINE group as a discussion board with anything cycling related, so if group cycling isn’t really your thing, but you need to ask some questions or just enjoy chatting about cycling, feel free to join!

Happy New Year and hope to see you guys join us in the near future.

2 Likes

Looking forward to some rides in 2016! (I still say the new name should be Adoga Cycling Club, 阿逗仔車隊.)

First ride of 2016 and starting with a new route, new friends, and for me…new tyres.

Day: Saturday, January 9, 2016
Meet up time: 8:30AM
MEET UP TIME UPDATED!

Meet up location: Rainbow Bridge彩虹橋
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/1273312
Destination: Mao Xian Coffee Stand (MaoKong Gondola Station) 貓空閒咖啡
Approximate Distance: 70-80km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 900-1000m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

1. Please wear a helmet, bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need
  2. Make sure you are equipped with front and rear lights
  3. Please ride at a safe following distance from cars to the front and side of you at all times
  4. The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

Looks good. See you then!

ELECTION DAY! So excited! Turns out almost all of the cycling group, can’t legally vote.

Day: Saturday, January 16, 2016
Meet up time: 7:30AM
Route: Meet up --> Jian Nan Rd 劍南路 --> Zhi Shan Rd至善路 --> 風櫃嘴Feng Gui Cui (via Bixi Bridge碧溪橋) --> Descend via Xi Wan Rd汐萬路
https://www.strava.com/routes/1043292
Destination: 風櫃嘴Feng Gui Cui
Approximate Distance: 40-55km
Estimated total trip time: 3-4hours

Depending on weather conditions:
ALTERNATIVE

Day: Saturday, January 16, 2016
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/2401345
Destination: JD’s Jittery Joyride Strava segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/10794780)
Approximate Distance: 30-40km

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

1. Please wear a helmet, bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need
  3. Please ride at a safe following distance from cars to the front and side of you at all times
  4. The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.[/quote]

ranlee, can you please add me on the LINE group

youtube.com/watch?v=HnavrBaYsSs
Nice ride this guy did.

Thanks for sharing Tommy. Normally, you wouldn’t really descend through Taroko because it’s almost a 90KM descent from Wuling peak into Xin Cheng. However, it must be pretty fun.

Please check back here on whether the ride will commence this weekend.

90% chance of rain on Saturday and below 10C on Sunday.

Day: Saturday, January 23, 2016
OR
Sunday, January 24, 2016
Meet up time: TBD
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/2401345
Destination: Leng Shui Keng Visitor Center冷水坑遊客中心
Approximate Distance: 50-60KM
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,100m-1,200m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

4. The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

please add me to Line group. My user name is cliffbrd. I am hoping to go on a ride out of Taipei on February 27th. Thanks…Cliff

[color=#FF0000]UPDATED MEET UP LOCATION AND DATE
[/color]

Happy New Year all! I didn’t post any rides through the week due to really last minute decisions to ride and lots of family engagements.

A few of us have signed up for the Sakura Classic race in early March. We will be doing a slow recon ride and might take the MRT to Shulin station from somewhere in Taipei. Details to come so please check back later in the week!

Day:
Saturday, February 20, 2016

Meet up location: Yuan Shan Riverside Park (area under the Grand Hotel)
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/3983945
Destination: Shimen石門 (Sakura Classic Race Route)
Approximate Distance: 70-100km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,200-1,400m
Estimated total trip time: 4-6hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

UPDATED MEET UP LOCATION AND TIME for February 20, 2016 ride.

Finally, a long weekend with nice weather!

Day: Saturday, February 27, 2016
Meet up time: 7:00AM
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/1043292
Destination: Zu Zhi Pond Police Station竹子湖派出所
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,000m-1,200m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but earlier tonight (fri night) I saw about 40-50 guys on bikes just jamming on ZhongXiao, flying right pass Kunyang MRT. Anyone know what it was for? A meetup gathering? Most of it were fixed gear bikes.

If I had to guess, it is most likely a fixie group of some sort (duh?) or probably an event they were going to or coming from. There’s a lot of them around the city now that cycling has been more and more popular. I tend to see more of those groups near Ximen. Surprised they made it out that far to Kunyang.

I’m not really familiar with fixie group activities, but if you’re interested, Facebook is your friend!

Back to horrible weather and a pending ride due to rain.
I thought we were done with the rain?

[color=#FF0000]PLEASE CHECK THE LINE GROUP FOR ANY LAST MINUTE CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS[/color]

Day: Saturday, March 12, 2016
Meet up time: 8:00AM
Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11 (故宮小7)
Route: https://www.strava.com/segments/8548133
Destination: Datun Peak
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,000-1,100m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

4. The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.[/quote]

Hi, I will be visiting Taiwan in end April to do a round island cycling trip. Will be doing the counter clockwise loop, and I plan to ride up Wuling towards the end. May I get some pointers as to where to look for local cycling club that organizes ride to Wuling or perhaps you can guide me?

Some pointers on what to prepare and where to rent a good road bike is much appreciated!
Thanks

[quote=“hansen1988”]Hi, I will be visiting Taiwan in end April to do a round island cycling trip. Will be doing the counter clockwise loop, and I plan to ride up Wuling towards the end. May I get some pointers as to where to look for local cycling club that organizes ride to Wuling or perhaps you can guide me?

Some pointers on what to prepare and where to rent a good road bike is much appreciated!
Thanks[/quote]

Hi Hansen1988,

You can check out my opening post to this thread for a link to the bike rental thread [url]Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2016 (Taipei/New Taipei)

For flat bar bikes that are geared for long distances, I would suggest the Nanjing Giant Shop.

If you want a road bike with drop bars, I would suggest either the Specialized store in Neihu, Buffalo shop and Giant shop by Da Dao Cheng Wharf. Do be warned that the Buffalo Shop and Giant Shop tend to have pretty old bikes that they do not really do too much maintenance on.

I can’t really help you in trying to find a local cycling club that does Wuling trips. Many clubs do, but it will be tough to find them, you’re best bet is to FB search or maybe ask the rental shops.

As for your route, the west side of Taiwan is nothing exciting, but to avoid lots of traffic lights and air pollution, I would highly suggest you stay on the coastal highway and to get it out of the way. Two days from Taipei to Kaohsiung is do-able, but might be rough on the legs. Spend more time in the southern peninsula/Kenting area and take your time up the east coast.

As for ending with Wuling, I highly suggest you take anything from full day to two days off of the bike in Hualien or Xin Cheng to rest. You will need all the strength you have to get up to Wuling. Of course it depends what kind of pace and distances you’re riding at, but that’s just my suggestion. FYI At a higher pace, most mortals make it to the top at around 7 hours from the Xin Chen area.

Make sure you pack a bike bag of some sort. If you plan on ending your trip in Puli (western side of Wuling), there are only buses out of that town mostly to Taichung or to Taipei. Buses will only allow your bike bagged in the lower compartment of the bus.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Have fun!

[color=#FF0000]
UPDATE April 15: This ride has been cancelled!
[/color]

I am back and so is the good weather!

We got a very very flat ride going out this Saturday.

Day: Saturday, April 16, 2016
Meet up location: DaZhi Riverside Exit (十六號水門)
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/962725
Destination: Yong An Fisherman’s Wharf 永安漁港
Approximate Distance: 140-150km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 700-800m
Estimated total trip time: 7-8 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

[color=#FF0000]UPDATED DATE/MEET UP TIME/ROUTE INFO[/color]

Day: Sunday, May 1, 2016
Meet up location: Rainbow Bridge (Raohe Nightmarket side) 彩虹橋靠饒河夜市
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/962725
Destination: Jiang Zi Tou Shan 姜子頭山
Approximate Distance: 60-75km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,100-1,300m
Estimated total trip time: 3-4 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

[color=#FF0000]
DATE UPDATED TO SATURDAY, MAY 7
[/color]

If you haven’t gone out riding in this weather, get off your ass!

Day: Saturday, May 7, 2016
Meet up location: Yuan Shan Riverside Park 圓山河濱公園
Route: http://www.strava.com/routes/962725
Destination: Jin Shan 金山
Approximate Distance: 110-120km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,800-2,100m
Estimated total trip time: 6-7hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE