Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2017 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Correct me if I’m wrong and sorry to her majesty for my ignorance, imperial century = 100 miles = 160km?

A moderate 160km loop without overlapping roads is (of course this depends on where you live), but starting on the riverside near Grand Hotel, go north towards Danshui. When you get to Hong Shu Lin MRT, you need to ride on the road and take the coastal road (No.2) all the way to Fulong, past Keelung.

The north coast road will start with some bunny hills and end up being 100% flat from the north east corner all the way to the Keelung city border. Once you get through noisy Keelung, the coastal road goes back to bunny hills.

After having a boxed lunch at Fulong, your ride back west on the 2 towards the 106 will be a long long long 0.5-1% gradient hill leading to a long long 3-4% gradient bridge to a tunnel.

The way back to Taipei on the 106 is also bunny hills.

Take a look at this organized event that happens every year. It’s called “The Greater Taipei Loop”. You can play around with the start and end locations, but this is about as flat as you can get without overlapping any roads.

http://tour.xplova.com/routeDetail/?GUID=B6655F2C-005C-4262-6B64-A43546448772

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1xvt7_caR7zHmRtjygv0tAOtyuZk&hl=en_US&ll=25.146598227167143%2C121.69058300000006&z=11

Thank you sir.

Do come back and share your experience with us if you can!

======RIDE IS CANCELLED DUE TO FORECASTED RAIN======

Sometimes…we ride for coffee.

Day: Saturday, May 13, 2017
Meet up time: 7:20AM
Departure time: 7:30AM
Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11 故宮小7
Route: Feng Gui Zui風櫃嘴
Destination: Star City Coffee @ Wu Zhi Shan五指山星成咖啡
Approximate Distance: 50-60km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Route is subject to change on the day of the ride!
  • Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.
  • IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, please leave a message here on the thread so I can have your contact information before we meet up.

Updated tomorrow’s ride.

Sometimes…we ask ourselves why we do this to ourselves

Day: Sunday, May 21, 2017
Meet up time: 6:45AM
Departure time: &:00AM
Meet up location: Hong Shu Lin MRT Station Family Mart紅樹林捷運全家
Route: North Coast 100北濱100
Destination: Jin Shan金山
Approximate Distance: 100-110km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 400-600m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, please leave a message here on the thread so I can have your contact information before we meet up.
  • Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

Coffee is essential to any kind of ride.

No excuses @Liuboy

If you can get away in the morning, might be a good weekend to come out @marasan , 3 hours tops. 1 hour to the meet up. 1 hour up the mtn and 1 hour ride over and roll down Xi Wan Rd to get home.

Day: Saturday, May 10, 2017
Meet up time: 6:30AM
Departure time: 6:45AM
Meet up location: Rainbow Bridge彩虹橋
Route: Riverside河濱 --> Xi Wan Road汐萬路
Destination: 五指山星城咖啡Star City Coffee
Approximate Distance: 50-60km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 3-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

1 Like

Sounds great ranlee, but the my wedding anniversary is on Friday and my wife and I will probably celebrate on Saturday. We’re also considering a dinner on Friday with lots of drinks (for me anyway). I better not take any chances with plans on Saturday.

I may not even get home from Friday night yet! Have Aussies in town, need to entertain! Will try though!

Meet up time, location and destination updated for 6/10/2017 ride.

It’s been awhile.

• Day: Saturday, August 5, 2017
  • Meet up time: 6:45AM
  • Departure time: 7:00AM
  • Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11故宮小7
  • Route: Zhishan Rd --> Feng Ling Bridge --> FGZ --> Star City Coffee (Wuzhishan)
  • Destination: 五指山星城咖啡Star City Coffee
  • Approximate Distance: 50-60km
  • Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
  • Estimated total trip time: 3-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Look for me on Saturday on top of Wuzhishan. I’ll be going up Xiwan with a small group (me and three others). We’re meeting at Xike Station at 7 am then heading straight up. We’ll head to Star City Coffee to look as well. We’ll be going back down Xiwan to swim in that river we discussed before.

See you there @marasan

If we’re not at Star City, look for us across the street at Lavazza. Sometimes Star City gets lazy and doesn’t open until 830-9AM.

1 Like

Same ride. Same route. Same reason.
Different day.

Don’t forget to add yourself to the LINE group if you haven’t yet!

• Day: Saturday, August 12, 2017
  • Meet up time: 6:45AM
  • Departure time: 7:00AM
  • Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11故宮小7
  • Route: Zhishan Rd → Feng Ling Bridge → FGZ → Star City Coffee (Wuzhishan)
  • Destination: 五指山星城咖啡Star City Coffee
  • Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Sorry for the hiatus. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Due to very high chance of rain, I will give last minute updates via the LINE group. So, if you haven’t added yourself to the group, please do so! Otherwise, I am not responsible for you riding to the meet up, in the rain.

• Day: Saturday, November 25, 2017
  • Meet up/Departure time: :clock830: 8:30AM
  • Weather Check: :clock730: 7:30AM
  • Meet up location: :bridge_at_night: Heng Guan Bridge https://goo.gl/maps/3YsuKaWems62
  • Route: Heng Guan Bridge → Laoquan Street → Maokong Gondola → Maokong Room Cafe
  • Destination: :cat: Maokong Room Cafe 貓空閒 https://goo.gl/maps/VHCa8moCUnn
  • Approximate total Elevation Gain: 300-500m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Last one for 2017

• Day: Sunday, December 24, 2017
  • Meet up/Departure time: :clock830: 8:30AM
  • Weather Check: N/A
  • Meet up location: :metro: Xindian MRT Station 7-11 https://goo.gl/maps/rzCF1J6ZZkJ2
  • Route: 9甲 --> Hua Shan Rd/N107 --> XinFu Rd/N107
  • Destination: :mountain: Fu Shan Village https://goo.gl/maps/Hwq7GZxgWiL2
  • Approximate Distance: 60-80km
  • Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,500m
  • Estimated total trip time: 4-6 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

1 Like