Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2017 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Hi Vincent, welcome to Forumosa and an early welcome to Taiwan! Let me answer your questions one by one…

It is normally Saturdays, however, if weather doesn’t look good, I move it to Sundays. For the upcoming weekend, I can’t promise anything, but I will keep your rental situation in mind and have the ride posted as soon as I can! :smiley:

I will post the ride info as soon as I can. Sometimes work and discussion on the route takes a few days.

Meet up times are early, so there’s very minimal traffic on the roads. You should be ok. We normally meet near the National Palace Museum. However, don’t worry about that for now, meet up locations will change.

We all can’t ride at the same pace going up since everyone’s fitness level is not the same, but we always wait for people at the top and won’t leave anyone behind. No worries!

Here you go:

Great, thanks for the quick response.

Lads and laddettes,

Where do you guys get coffee after an early morning ride? I can’t seem to find any decent places that open around 6.30-7am? I am willing to ride to anywhere in Taipei for that coffee! I think Cama is usually open at 7.30 and thats as early as it gets?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cycling Apparel

It really depends on how good you want your coffee haha

Of course, 7-11 and Family Mart will be open so if it’s coffee you want, they will have it.

The only place I’ve heard that is open that early is Lutetia on Zhong Shan North Road Section 5 (maybe 6) in Tian Mu.

I think Lavana Coffee at the top of Wu Zhi Shan is also open at around 7-7:30AM. I have been up there early during summer rides and they are the first to open up shop up there.

I’ve largely given up on coffee in Taipei/Taiwan in general, but thanks as always @ranlee for your links!

I guess the 7-11s will have to do, sucks to live in Zhonghe!

There’s good coffee out there, they just don’t open until 8 or 9AM :frowning2:

I was curious and wanted to know more. I found a 24h shop near CKS, kind of on your way home if you’re riding Yang Ming Shan.

Panos Cafe 杭州店
電話:(02)23518568
地址:台北市大安區杭州南路二段7-1號(中正紀念堂/金甌女中旁)
營業時間:24小時營業
交通資訊:捷運東門站3號出口

To the peak!

Day: Sunday, April 30 2017
Meet up time: 6:30AM
Departure time: 7:00AM
Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11 故宮小7
Route: Leng Shui Keng冷水坑 --> Xiao You Keng小油坑 --> Er Zi Ping二子平
Destination: Datun Peak助航站
Approximate Distance: 50-60km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1100-1200m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Route is subject to change on the day of the ride!
  • Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.
1 Like

Check above @vincemtl

Great, and the weather forecast is on our side for now!

Quinn, if you see this please send me a PM or reply here. Thanks!

I have updated the below.

Please make sure if you’re new to the group or plan on attending that you get in contact with me via PM, Whatsapp or LINE before the ride.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.
  • IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, please leave a message here on the thread so I can have your contact information before we meet up.

Anyone have suggestion for an easy to moderate imperial century ride starting and ending in Taipei? Looking to make it my first.

Correct me if I’m wrong and sorry to her majesty for my ignorance, imperial century = 100 miles = 160km?

A moderate 160km loop without overlapping roads is (of course this depends on where you live), but starting on the riverside near Grand Hotel, go north towards Danshui. When you get to Hong Shu Lin MRT, you need to ride on the road and take the coastal road (No.2) all the way to Fulong, past Keelung.

The north coast road will start with some bunny hills and end up being 100% flat from the north east corner all the way to the Keelung city border. Once you get through noisy Keelung, the coastal road goes back to bunny hills.

After having a boxed lunch at Fulong, your ride back west on the 2 towards the 106 will be a long long long 0.5-1% gradient hill leading to a long long 3-4% gradient bridge to a tunnel.

The way back to Taipei on the 106 is also bunny hills.

Take a look at this organized event that happens every year. It’s called “The Greater Taipei Loop”. You can play around with the start and end locations, but this is about as flat as you can get without overlapping any roads.

http://tour.xplova.com/routeDetail/?GUID=B6655F2C-005C-4262-6B64-A43546448772

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1xvt7_caR7zHmRtjygv0tAOtyuZk&hl=en_US&ll=25.146598227167143%2C121.69058300000006&z=11

Thank you sir.

Do come back and share your experience with us if you can!

======RIDE IS CANCELLED DUE TO FORECASTED RAIN======

Sometimes…we ride for coffee.

Day: Saturday, May 13, 2017
Meet up time: 7:20AM
Departure time: 7:30AM
Meet up location: National Palace Musuem 7-11 故宮小7
Route: Feng Gui Zui風櫃嘴
Destination: Star City Coffee @ Wu Zhi Shan五指山星成咖啡
Approximate Distance: 50-60km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, please leave a message here on the thread so I can have your contact information before we meet up.

Updated tomorrow’s ride.