Unpleasant news about cats, dogs, etc.

A few years ago in some small town in England with a high rate of serious dog attacks, a news crew got a local thug to demonstrate on camera how easy it was to train his pet to maim and kill (humans), because he knew he wouldn’t get in trouble for owning a dog, as opposed to a conventional weapon.

It’s not just an English thing…

The dogs did not bark throughout the attacks, making the volunteers suspect that the animals have had their vocal cords removed and have been trained to kill, and were not simply chasing the cats.

1 Like

People are certainly ingenious about skirting laws.

I could use a few of those dogs. I have trapped 3 cats st my house and released them in another area. Still have 3 more hanging around the house with their wonderful screaming at night.

Yes the stray cats are annoying but I’m sure they help keep the rat populations down in Taipei. And I’ve seen some rats in this city that could give New York City rats a run for their money. I’d rather have cats howling outside my window at night than rats inside my flat.

3 Likes

The cats at my house do not need to hunt as they get their daily rations from a lady living nearby. They do like to sleep on my car’s roof when they can haul their fat bellies up there.

If people are actually nice to cats, it would allow those people that trap, neuter, vaccinate and release the cats, out of their own pocket no less, help contain the stray cat population with less effort.

It is incredible difficult to regain trust of cats that have been terrorized by people. Without trust, it is damn near impossible to capture cats. What’s left is a runaway cat population with more cat deaths, the same nasty people poison cats, get dogs to kill cats by hurting the dogs, and either you still get an exponential growth in cat population, or you get an exponential growth in rat population.

Just because stray cats don’ have to rely on hunting to stay fed, doesn’t mean they stop hunting. Cats are naturally programmed to hunt. It’s a game for them. Stray cats that are kept healthy would still keep rat and cockroach population down for the fun of it.

2 Likes

Actually, getting rid of the previous cats is what generates the noise making machines. You see, those 3 cats “own” that territory, and no other cats can get in there safely, so they keep cat population down, too. When you remove the Kings of the Alley, theres is an opening that won’t remain empty for long, and as cats fight for the territory, they disrupt your slumber.

You see, the stray cat problem is not a cat problem, is a people problem. People who keep dumping cats when they get tired of them. Irresponsible owners who do not neuter their pets. They are the ones at fault, creating far more strays. So you will never hanve an empty alley, while that limitless supply of irresponsible owners keep fueling it.

The lady feeds the cats, neuters them, keeps them safe. They in turn prevent others from coming in and lower the risk of diseases in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

I live more or less in the countryside so the cats are probably killing more birds than rats. The cats like our house because is central location for them to meet. I do wish the neighbor would neuter the cats but they are poor and do not think I could or want to go down that route with her. I estimate if I move 5 or 6 more cars I might get some peace…while hoping no one dumps any more cats over here.ha.

No cats this time, just dog-on-dog violence.

A Taichung woman surnamed Weng (翁) was walking her Pomeranian with her daughter when she said a pit bull belonging to a woman surnamed Hung (洪) suddenly attacked it, inflicting fatal injuries, despite several passersby trying to calm the pit bull down by throwing water over it.

Living in the countryside we sometimes have packs of dogs running around our house. The wife had to sdjust her bike route as one house has 6 dogs who chase and nip at her feet as she bikes by their “territory”. The problem here is people lat their dogs run wild all day or for days when they are not at home. Next to our house I saw one pack carrying around d the carcass of an animal that I am sure they caught as I have seen them hunting before.

1 Like

I live in the countryside as well, and dogs are all well behaved here. I travel by bicycle 99% of the time, and those few occasions when a dog chases me is to play. Most of them ignore me, unless they’re dogs I know and are expecting food.

After all the attention to murdered cats, in fairness to the dogs: :frowning2:

Alleged dog killers indicted

Kaohsiung district prosecutors yesterday indicted three soldiers on charges of violating the Animal Protection Act (動物保護法) in connection with the killing of a dog in June that sparked a public uproar. The soldiers are Chen Yu-tsai (陳祐才), Chang Feng-yu (張峰瑜) and Hu Chia-wei (胡嘉瑋), who serve as military police at the Republic of China Marine Corps’ Air Defense Group. Chen allegedly instructed Chang to kill the dog because he did not want to see it again, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office said. Chang and Hu put the dog on a chain leash, took it to an embankment and hit it with a wooden club, prosecutors said. After the animal lost consciousness, Hu pulled it down the embankment, hanged it to death and dumped the body into the sea, they said. The three recorded the killing on video, said the prosecutors, who asked the court to deliver an appropriate penalty. According to Article 25 of the act, people found guilty of killing a cat or dog without reason can face a prison sentence of up to one year and a fine between NT$100,000 and NT$1 million (US$3,097 and US$30,977). The incident caused an outcry after Kaohsiung City Councilor Chen Hsin-yu (陳信瑜) posted the 80-second video on YouTube on June 26 and condemned the incident.

Dog haters in Kaohsiung and New Taipei:

If they were from Macao they would have got a ‘get out of jail’ pass.

Some #@$%^&* with a BB gun unloaded his rage on a white chihuahua… 32 hits… Help needed to pay costs of medical care.

https://donation.savedogs.org/

Another problem with stray dogs: they’re dangerous for the wildlife.

1 Like

When I was looking for potential owners for my extra kittens, I was frequently warned by people in the animal circle to be very careful, not to give them away to people on the Internet, especially single men. Seems there is an epidemic of sorts, with Taiwanese young males finding pleasure in tortuting and killing kittens. Seems almost every week there is a warning posted in animal group FB about thsi or that guy. Latest one was given a total of 28 kittens by different sources. It was when they started communicating among themselves when they found something was rotten… in this guy’s heart, or what used to be it.

A Hsinchu City woman has been indicted for allegedly breaking her impounded pet raccoon out of a government shelter in November last year, the Hsinchu District Prosecutors’ Office said on Sunday.

I wonder what @Rocket makes of this. Is she a freedom fighter, a tyrant, or something in between?

The two men have confessed to the crime, prosecutors said, adding that while Chen Mei-ling has admitted her actions, she denies having broken any laws, as she claims that the raccoon was her property.

1 Like

Racoons are native to North America, why on earth is a racoon doing here in Taiwan? I can understand why people in the US would welcome one into their homes, but why import a frigging racoon for pet?