US citizen. Bring in inheritance or leave it in the US. Problems.

My mom and actually the last person who handled my US legal affairs have passed away. The house was sold and I have my share coming to me. It’s around 30K US. What should I do. Have it sent to my US bank account but technically I no longer have a US address and it would be difficult managing money overseas. I’m still trying to figure out how to manage my US bank accounts because they insist that the primary address be a US one and the foreigner address a secondary one.
Should I have the money sent here? Can I keep in in US dollars? Will I run into US tax or Taiwan tax problems. How should I report this?

Sorry for your loss. I went through something similar with my dad. Maybe, I can help.

There is no estate tax in the US. However…it gets murky when payouts occur. Life insurance, there is no tax.

Actually, want I want to say is talk to the atty handling her estate. They should be able to walk you through everything and advice you. Talk to your bank here to see what, if any, penalties you may incur.

DON’T SEEK ADVICE HERE! Go find expert advice and counsel.

1 Like

We used to have some fine print at the top of the page saying that, at least in the Legal forum.