USA and gun control

… and meanwhile we had two more shooting sprees … :doh:

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Stop digging. You wrote:

No it isn’t. End of story. You may have other points to make but you were absolutely wrong here.[/quote]

There is a table of data on this mid-page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

The US is far above both Finland and Switzerland.

It is brutally clear from the table that the US is by far ahead of any other developed country in terms of this grisly statistic.

What else to expect? All these gunslingers through America’s history … Rambo … Billy the Kid … people are starting to believe they are too … :ohreally:

It’s obvious to sane people, yes. But Republicans love them some guns.

When will we ever learn?

The thing is, how would you go about getting rid of all these guns? The gun culture is deeply, deeply ingrained. It would be almost like a low-level civil war if you tried to get rid of them, even if someone managed to get the 2nd amendment repealed, and good luck with that!

[quote]Police say a man accidentally shot himself in the buttocks at a Nevada movie theater during a showing of “The Bourne Legacy.”

Police in Sparks, Nev., say the 56-year-old man’s injuries are not life-threatening and no others were hurt.

Authorities say the man had a permit to carry a concealed firearm. The man told officers the gun fell from his pocket Tuesday night as he was adjusting himself in the seat and that it discharged when it dropped to the floor.[/quote]
salon.com/2012/08/15/weird_n … the_day_6/

“Just let anybody try anything tonight with me on alert! With my superior training and skills, I’ll be able to take down any heavily-armed wacko in protective armor in a gas-filled theater surrounded by screaming panicked people trying to get away…owww! ma ass!”

[quote=“fanglangzhe”]Many of you are aware of the recent Colorado move theater shooting. Once again, some people are calling for a debate on the loose gun control laws of the country. Once again, such voices will be ignored. Just as they have been raised and then ignored after every previous gun tragedy in the country. Below is an article with a good take on it. The power of the pro gun lobby in the US is just incredible. No tragedy is big enough to stop them.

theatlantic.com/national/arc … gs/260133/[/quote]
Golly, ya think that maybe that’s because gun control doesn’t work worth shit?

Here, I saw this in another thread completely unrelated to this one, except inasmuch as it demonstrates the mentality of the “gun control nao!” fanatics:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4&start=60

It ALSO means Role-Playing Games. In countries like UK and US, they’re seen as healty (if somewhat nerdy) hobbies. In Spain, each time a deranged dude kills someone in an atypical way, they blame the RPGs instead of considering that maybe the cause was that the guy was nuts. Oh, well… media nowadays…[/quote]
And yet people think that “gun control” is something rational. . . .
Yah, blame the RPGs for wanton slaughter! No, not the grenades, it’s those scary evil GAMES!!!

I really think that the media assigns blame to the most convenient scapegoat. We’ve heard and read it all, media telling us that the real culprits of violence are:

• Role-playing games
  • Video Games (specially the FPS)
  • Marilyn Manson lyrics
  • Heavy Metal
  • Rock music
  • Hollywood action movies

That’s a load of crap. The violence cames from people. People who are not mentally fit, or people prone to rage and uncapable of controlling their behaviour, paranoids, etc. The problem is when some half-witted dude goes bananas and he has an arsenal under his bed. Most possible outcome, he will end up hurting someone else. How to remedy that? More strict controls about who gets a weapon, and in which conditions does he use it.

Of course, people in countries with a very strict gun regulation (like most of the european countries) also go nuts and hurt other people, but as their weapon choices are limited, they’ll probably hurt less people. For example, let’s suppose that the crazy SOAB in the aurora shooting couldn’t have access to those guns and ammo. Most probably he would have to use some kind of knife, club, or something like that. Maybe a hand taser (not the taser gun). He would have hurt what, maybe 5 people? A skilled security guard could have reduced him easily with a nightstick. More than one security guard would have kicked the crap out of him. And the tragedy would have been less tragic.

I remember a footnote in the newspaper, from some years ago: a dispute between rival chinese families, that owned two different restaurants, in Madrid, was settled when one of the owners went apesh*t and tried to kill the other one with a sword. The outcome was not so dramatic, one of the customers at the restaurant called the police, they came, they reduced the attacker using non-lethal force. End of the story. If that guy had access to a gun, that would have been much more complicated.

So I think that gun control is necessary. But we have to remember that the guns are not to blame for the consequences of their use. People should be blamed. And governments should be blamed for allowing a nutcase to have guns in the first place.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
Guns are around, and guns will be around, so people need to learn how to live with guns.[/quote]

what he said. also the reason why I’d like to retain my right to carry.

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
Guns are around, and guns will be around, so people need to learn how to live with guns.[/quote]

what he said. also the reason why I’d like to retain my right to carry.[/quote]
Are you in the Militia?
And if so, is it well regulated?

[quote=“SuperSneakyCow”]Stop politicizing a tragedy.

The best way to defend yourself against guns is to buy more guns, and carry more than one at the same time.

The tragedy could have been prevented if other people brought guns to the theater, so don’t give me this big government no guns bullllllshit.[/quote]

I think you defiantly right , your gun can protect you from crime .

P.S : “I’ll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!”

[quote=“horazio22”][quote=“SuperSneakyCow”]Stop politicizing a tragedy.

The best way to defend yourself against guns is to buy more guns, and carry more than one at the same time.

The tragedy could have been prevented if other people brought guns to the theater, so don’t give me this big government no guns bullllllshit.[/quote]

I think you defiantly right , your gun can protect you from crime .

P.S : “I’ll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!”[/quote]

[quote] Bug: Place your projectile weapon on the ground.
Edgar: You can have my gun, when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Bug: Your proposal is acceptable.[/quote]

MiB

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

what he said. also the reason why I’d like to retain my right to carry.[/quote]
Are you in the Militia?
And if so, is it well regulated?[/quote]

nope; just respecting the second amendment.

[wikipedia]The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.[/wikipedia]

What about women not having the right to vote and slavery, you still a big fan of that?

The Second Amendment is as out of date as the Bible. The authors probably didn’t have automatic rifles on their mind when they came up with it. Probably thought that even if some psycho went mad, by the time he reloaded they could take him out. And it’s not like if the US government wanted to “take control”, that a few hillbillies with a couple of guns could stop them.

[wikipedia]The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.[/wikipedia]

What about women not having the right to vote and slavery, you still a big fan of that?[/quote]
I’m definitely in favor of ending women’s suffrage. Poor dears, suffering like that all these years.

Slavery, well, most people want to be slaves, so why not? Just make it formal again.

Yeah, since repeating firearms hadn’t been invented yet, they probably didn’t.

But they did know all about tyrranical governments, and wanted to be able to overthrow them if the U.S. government headed down that path again.

We could use another Battle of Athens or ten. Or twenty. Or a thousand. . . .

What about women not having the right to vote and slavery, you still a big fan of that?

The Second Amendment is as out of date as the Bible. The authors probably didn’t have automatic rifles on their mind when they came up with it. Probably thought that even if some psycho went mad, by the time he reloaded they could take him out. And it’s not like if the US government wanted to “take control”, that a few hillbillies with a couple of guns could stop them.[/quote]

irrelevant. women had voting rights and slavery was abolished way before I was even born.

if you read my post properly, you’ll see that my comment was pertaining the right to bear arms, just like what this thread’s title suggests.

again, bringing this up one last time:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
that is all.

Oh the quality of argument on here, it makes me feel all warm inside.

[quote=“Rockefeller”]

irrelevant. [/quote]

Not at all. Laws are changed all the time to reflect changing technology and ideology. Seatbelts and helmets were made mandatory in my lifetime(in most western countries and Taiwan). Sometimes people just have to be protected from their own ignorance. The only thing that really keeps the status quo in America is the money those profitting from gun sales are pumping into the political parties. Mostly the GOP I suspect, but I’m sure they are keeping all bases covered.

I read it properly, both eyes open, left to right. Don’t sweat it, we’ve all acted like arses one time or another when people disagree with us. Are the rest of us not allowed to make comparisons for the sake of debate?

Shall we say pistols at dawn?