USA and gun control

Of course not, I have said on many occasions im not fan of guns and am glad to have lived in Taiwan and UK where guns are rare. I said it in the post above too.

The US is different, because there are so many guns in the hands of the population. I’m also pointing out that the hostility that’s being created by demonizing those with differing opinions, may be a contributing factor in the rise and severity of mass shooting events themselves, especially with those who are already prone to mental illness or come from families with a history of abuse.

1 Like

Whereas guns are not a factor at all. I recon a law banning mustaches is probably the best solution.

In that case, your position is morally inconsistent in my opinion.

That’s happening anyway. There’s no reason to allow people to walk around with machine guns, regardless.

Are they going to be armed with automatic rifles? That’s what they’ll need given the current state of law in the country. Even if they are–and I wouldn’t put it past some of these idiots in power–I’m sure everyone will be very safe when a good firefight with machine guns breaks out in a school.

We need to make it happen if it takes 50 or 100 years.

Not at all, its like talking about what to do with horses that are in a barn which has the door shut compared to what to do with the horses after the barn door has been left open and the horses have already bolted.

The question in the US (if you are like me and want to see less guns) is how to get the guns that are out there, off the streets. Let’s say starting with high power assault rifles, if you are being intellectually honest, this opens up a whole lot of new questions.

It’s a discussion that is indeed worth having, but you are less likely to reach sensible conclusions while one side is using the issue to bludgeon the other over the head with and add to their long list of insults they hurl around on a daily basis.

1 Like

The only thing that matters on this issue is the guns. The only things I’d bludgeon anyone on the head about it for is the guns. If they’re too sensitive to deal with insults about guns, which is the entire issue, I don’t care. Muddying the waters on this with ordinary political commentary is just going in one ear and out the other for me. That goes for anyone, I don’t care about their party etc. But, if any party is going to stand in the way on this, they need to get out of the way. I’m not interested in the consequences about that, whose feelings might be hurt, who might feel like bad people are ganging up on them etc. It’s a moral issue.

Right, because everyone getting at each others throats is such a good idea, so healthy for a society. I’m sure BLM justified their chanting “what do we want? dead cops!”, even after cops started getting shot.

So what’s your position tempo, make all guns illegal? Just so I know where you stand, for the sake or moral consistency.

Yes that is definetly much worse than scraping dead kids off the floor.

There is no need to take all the guns away.
They need to be regulated that’s all. Only a few obstacles between a crazy nut and an AK47, semi auto handgun, etc.
First require every gun owner to store his/her guns and ammo securely.
Require every gun to be registered.
Require background checks before handing out/selling a gun to anyone.

If someone crazy wants to shoot up a place now, there is a chance he/she will come to attention while acquiring a gun. It will not prevent all the shooting deaths in the US, but it will make them fewer.

And your approach is actually achieving results? Or it just makes you feel morally superior to call anyone who might disagree with you a moron an idiot or morally compromised. Just saying, it doesn’t seem to be working very well.

a discussion on HOW to reach that goal under the circumstances might seem like a good idea, but apparently not according to tempo, and also according to him, the politicians who need to pass actual law or even better put it into a party platform that people vote for and then can claim to have the mandate of the people, is outside the discussion. Riiiight.

1 Like

Totally, I recon all discourse on gun laws should be dumped into a big huge “completely useless obvious advice” thread.

Why avoid the question of banning or reducing the number of assault rifles as they have been correlated with the increase in casualties per mass shooting ?

Does a civilian actually need a military grade assault rifle?
Why?

Then look at regulating semiautomatic handguns including of course stricter background checks etc.

Surely that should be the first port of call

Of course there are other issues at play but they are shared across most developed societies. As is obvious trying to tackle other complex societal issues like healthcare or mental illness will be at least if not more difficult than dealing with assault rifles.

1 Like

I know you’re not American but you’re really not getting this. Our society is sick. Diseased. Children are dying at school. If it means that people have to be at each other’s throats to fix it, I don’t care. How many ways do I have to say it. People are at each other’s throats now over cakes and shit. People are dying. Children.

I’d throw every last one into the pit of hell and laugh as they burned if I could. Mickey mouse Rambo bullshit is what it is. What I am saying is let’s get rid of powerful automatic weapons. In any way possible. Let’s do what we can instead of sitting around as people get killed on a daily basis and trying to discuss it.

1 Like

It’s the thin end of the wedge. If you start refusing military level weaponry from 17 year old boys with mental health issues who knows where it will end.

1 Like

Something interesting for your consideration. Bit long, but makes interesting points. Second part is crucial.

You missed my point, I think blaming assault riffles as the issue is completely missing the point. Have you ever held a assault rifle, they are heavy and large. Not exactly easy to bring around to kill people with vs me packing a 2 hand guns that I can hide in my pants and have a bunch of loaded magazines. So Are any homemade bombs and IEDs, or a car etc. I’m just saying, banning assault rifles are definitely not just going to fix the issue. It may look good on paper and the number of gun deaths lower…but I’m certain it’ll just pop up somewhere else.

The point is, I think we’re missing the issue. There’s a deeper issue than guns in my perspective after seeing more and more. Maybe the issue isn’t the guns, like banning drugs puts a short term bandaid on the drug problem. There seems to be a deeper issue involved and guns are def magnifying the problem.

I think this is a deeper multi level complex issue than banning guns or making it stricter. Although o think it can help. It’s like taking drugs away from a addict. Fixes the short term solution of him not taking drugs. But there’s usually a deep rooted cause for drug addiction. The drug use are a symptom to a bigger issue.

And we get into whether morally right things should always be the law. I think it can actually be harmful to make laws based on morals.

I think an issue is we fail to understand these mass murderers and just write them off as mentally Ill psychopaths. Maybe some people with mental illness or wireing of the brain are more likely to do such things. But these people,
Many of them don’t even have a violent pass, become possessed which such malevolence and hatred for society, lack of regard for human life and view their own life as a tragedy. Why? And it’s also interesting like @Mick said, they all seem to have some common denominators, one strikingly one that pops out is they are all men.

Let’s take away guns. You think there are no ways for people in countries to do mass killing. Running my car in ximending on a Friday night could probably do a lot of damage. Why does that not happen here? What’s causing a society to have so many mass killings. And not just mass killing, but also suicides after the fact. There’s a real deep rooted hatred for humanity, society, and everything that encompasses what we deal with in every aspect of existing along with a complete disregard for human life to not just take your own but to take as many with you before you kill yourself. People don’t just wake up one day and do this for no reason, some might be born more likely to for a number of reasons but something went very worng, and likely it was a long compounded list of things and events that leads someone to do become so hateful of existing to do something like this.

I don’t think blaming it purely on guns is the correct way to solve this. It might be a short term solution and I’m willing to see if it lessens these events but I don’t think they’ll stop long term. There seems to be a very deep rooted issue that are creating these mass killings. Yes, it would be great to keep guns away from these people. But what’s creating these people?

In Taiwan this one common murder suicide theme is romantic relationships. You can see some of the reasons such as sex isn’t openly talked about here. Many people here are not emotionally mature when it comes to relationships. They’ve been babied their entire life by their parents, and very sheltered. They care about “face” a lot and some of these reasons don’t take say a rejection well. People in Taiwan can have very unhealthy dependent relationships because they have that with their parents and families. Many people here are not told honestly about themselves imo. A loser that lives at home with no job and is ugly and doesn’t groom and exercise. They are 孝順 and soooo handsome. So you can imagine when a girl rejects them or breaks up with them… they might take it well.

Also how about this, 2/3 of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Why aren’t we using that as the main reason of banning of guns. Mass murders using guns are extremely rare and barely pop up on the chart of gun deaths. So let’s say we go the most extreme and ban and take away all the guns somehow for arguements sake. Do you think that the suicide rate will really face a significant drop?

I agree. America has been sick for a long time. Take away the guns and I can promise you we will have more car/truck rammings. The only reason we don’t is well… Because guns.

But either way we have a serious breakdown in this country and regardless people are still snapping left and right. The killing will just keep happening in different ways.

Also… It seems like the gun deaths really get the emotions going and it’s understandable. But America also has a gigantic drug problem.

And hey a lot of those drugs are already outlawed. (minus the prescriptions which yes is also huge )
America is sick in more ways than just guns… Would be nice if we could get to the root of the problem. If there is such a thing.