Usage of the word "America"

Thanks for making me google. Why the fuck would you bake pasta, you Atlantic left-bank weirdos! :laughing: :noway:

One word, baby.
Fucking cheese.

Oh, and just so’s you know, Washington DC is closer to Manchester than my hometown is to the Atlantic Ocean.
Geo-tard. :unamused:

Fucking cheese?

So? It is ‘not in Europe’, as I like to say. Youse all might as well be Bolivians for all anyone can tell youse apart. Llama-ridin, pyramid-buildin, black people death penalty disproportionately administerin’, maple syrup on bacon eatin’ MAY-GUOREN.

BUT SERIOUSLY, stop being special. No-one’s confused in the Anglosphere when we sez ‘American’. Yeeeeeees, we know Panama is also in ‘America’. You sound like one of those ‘don’t call me a waiguoren’ folks.

Oh, and call your sister.

She needs help taking her cat to the vet’s.

Sorry. It is because every time we hear the term it brings connotations of Monroe doctrine et al. It is like pouring lemon juice on a dead squid. Yes, it is a dead horse, or rather, a dead squid. And the term is lemon juice.

I’d rather discuss the Gutemalan ex president incarceration, the 13 year sentence on Leopoldo Lopez, the fight for IVF in Costa Rica, the still missing 40 students in Mexico, etc. but we have other venues for that and we have enough with the problems this side of the world. Oh and the European refugee crisis.

Why do you expect us to care what you say in Spanish?

I get where it’s coming from, and when you phrase it the way you just did, Icon, I don’t have a problem with it. There is a world of difference between saying “I find it insensitive for (US people) to dominate this word” – I disagree with this viewpoint but can accept it as reasonable – and saying “You are using your own language wrong” – the supremely condescending approach.

Hee hee. :bravo:

So do the Canookers get to complain about the frightfully egregious mis-naming of Smarties in the Yewess??? :ohreally:

I’m an American, and I have some questions:

How many of you, when asked, “Where are you from?” answer with your continent? Anyone? :ponder:

Do any native English speakers say, “Americas”, or is it always “The Americas”? That’s what I thought.

Do you consider Greenland part of North America? How about Edmonton? Me neither.

For the Spanish speakers:

Would anyone from Panama or Costa Rica ever say, “Soy Norteamericano”?

When someone talks about “Centroamerica” do you think they include Mexico?

What happened to all the cows?

You’re too modest. In the chutzpah department, we don’t hold a candle to our teachers; for example:

–Geoffrey Parker, The World is Not Enough: The Imperial Vision of Philip II of Spain goo.gl/WoSIL3

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Ermintrude”]Fucking cheese?

So? It is ‘not in Europe’, as I like to say. Youse all might as well be Bolivians for all anyone can tell youse apart. Llama-ridin, pyramid-buildin, black people death penalty disproportionately administerin’, maple syrup on bacon eatin’ MAY-GUOREN.

BUT SERIOUSLY, stop being special. No-one’s confused in the Anglosphere when we sez ‘American’. Yeeeeeees, we know Panama is also in ‘America’. You sound like one of those ‘don’t call me a waiguoren’ folks.[/quote]

Oh, and call your sister.

She needs help taking her cat to the vet’s.[/quote]

Crazy bitch needs help tying her shoelaces. My mother can be on sister detail this year.

Her cat is a slut. Needs to get the evil cross-eyed thing spayed. Also sick to the back teeth of random requests for ‘vet bills’ from my sister.

[quote=“zender”]
When someone talks about “Centroamerica” do you think they include Mexico?[/quote]
Well… didn’t you know that Mexico is in South America and that Spain is located somewhere in Mexico?

[quote=“Rocket”]
One word, baby.
Fucking cheese.[/quote]
“America” does not have cheese. All what you have eaten there is coagutalted goat vomit, sliced.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]
Why do you expect us to care what you say in Spanish?[/quote]
Who are you?

[quote][quote=“antarcticbeech”]
Who are you?[/quote]

While he said it in a cheeky way, it’s a valid point. We’re speaking English, so why should we care what you say in Spanish? When you speak Spanish, why should you care what we say in English? In English, America = USA. You can try to affect change, but since there is no “English Academy,” our language operates on consensus. You would need to convince the majority of English speakers that this is a better way to do things than how we have been doing it for years.

For the record, I’m neutral. If there is a shift and English-speakers start agreeing that American = americano, then I will, naturally, cooperate with the overarching trend with no complaints.

Bullshit.
“Laowai” is the term provincials and other people from down south use for any foreigner.
Taipei natives almost never use this word, preferring “waiguoren”.[/quote]
Actually, people in Taipei use the term “laowai” with significant frequency. Not that it should matter. Contrary to popular opinion among foreigners in Taiwan, it is not a slur.

In English, “America” is an informal way of saying the “United States of America”. If you want to express other parts of the Western Hemisphere, you would have to qualify it by saying “Latin America”, “South America”, “Central America”, “North America”, “the Americas”, etc. etc. Otherwise you would run a high risk of miscommunication. It doesn’t matter what people say in Spanish; English is a different language with different conventions. Fair or not, it’s a linguistic fact. Just like the fact that English has no gender-neutral animate 3rd-person singular pronoun, much to the consternation of some uber-PC types.

“American” is both the informal and formal adjectival term (since there is no such word as “United Statesian” or “USian”).

[quote=“Hokwongwei”][quote][quote=“antarcticbeech”]
Who are you?[/quote]

While he said it in a cheeky way, it’s a valid point. We’re speaking English, so why should we care what you say in Spanish?[/quote]

You know that that’s not the point. I think I explained it already…

I think his point is that the United States is a selfish, egotistical country, full of selfish, egotistical people.