Usage of the word "America"

It’s 'Murrica, populated by 'Murricans. FREEDOM! :smiley:

Muriken 無理拳

Yeah!

The Americans I like the most are Canadians and then Mexicans, although the only country I visited in North America was Guatemala, which was very nice.

Which one of these theories do you agree with?

[quote]The origins of the Roman name Hispania, from which the modern name España was derived, are uncertain due to inadequate evidence, although it is documented that the Phoenicians and Carthaginians referred to the region as Spania, therefore the most widely accepted etymology is a Semitic – Phoenician one.[10][12] Down the centuries there have been a number of accounts and hypotheses:

The Renaissance scholar Antonio de Nebrija proposed that the word Hispania evolved from the Iberian word Hispalis, meaning “city of the western world”.

Jesús Luis Cunchillos argues that the root of the term span is the Phoenician word spy, meaning “to forge metals”. Therefore, i-spn-ya would mean “the land where metals are forged”.[13] It may be a derivation of the Phoenician I-Shpania, meaning “island of rabbits”, “land of rabbits” or “edge”, a reference to Spain’s location at the end of the Mediterranean; Roman coins struck in the region from the reign of Hadrian show a female figure with a rabbit at her feet,[14] and Strabo called it the “land of the rabbits”.[15]

Hispania may derive from the poetic use of the term Hesperia, reflecting the Greek perception of Italy as a “western land” or “land of the setting sun” (Hesperia, Ἑσπερία in Greek) and Spain, being still further west, as Hesperia ultima.[16]

There is the claim that “Hispania” derives from the Basque word Ezpanna meaning “edge” or “border”, another reference to the fact that the Iberian Peninsula constitutes the southwest corner of the European continent.[16]

Two 15th-century Spanish Jewish scholars, Don Isaac Abravanel and Solomon ibn Verga, gave an explanation now considered folkloric. Both men wrote in two different published works that the first Jews to reach Spain were brought by ship by Phiros who was confederate with the king of Babylon when he laid siege to Jerusalem. This man was a Grecian by birth, but who had been given a kingdom in Spain. He became related by marriage to Espan, the nephew of king Heracles, who also ruled over a kingdom in Spain. Heracles later renounced his throne in preference for his native Greece, leaving his kingdom to his nephew, Espan, from whom the country of España (Spain) took its name. Based upon their testimonies, this eponym would have already been in use in Spain by c. 350 BCE.[17]
[/quote]

[quote=“tommy525”]And a LOT of Canadians are insulted if you call them “Americans”. Even ones living in the USA !!
[/quote]

A lot of Canadians, yes, but not Iggy! :smile:

Man, don’t ask me. I know about America, not about Spain.

• Theory 1: “Spain” means the land where metals are forged, ergo all people who live in countries with such technology are Spanish.
  • Theory 2: “Spain” means island of rabbits, ergo all people who live in countries with rabbits are Spanish.
  • Theory 3: “Spain” means edge, ergo all people who live in coastal countries are Spanish.
  • Theory 4: “Spain” means western land, ergo all people who live in “the West” are Spanish.

Canada qualifies as part of “Spain” under all four theories. Therefore, stop calling Canadians American! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Dr_Milker

He became famous for denying he had ever said “we Americans”, something you can’t say if you want to be Prime Minister in the interweb era.

Ah, that Iggy. He’s Canadian…no wonder nobody’s ever heard of him. I like the other Iggy better.

1 Like

I wanted to reply some bullshit but I have decided to take this seriously :smiley:

There’s a small but important difference between the logic behind what I say, and the logic you applied.

While Americas was the name used for the New World, including all the territories on it, the origin of the work Hispania, Espa;a, or whatever, does not imply that you can use the etymology like a definition. The etymology of a word just tells you where the word is coming from, not that everything susceptible of such name is part of the object with that etymology. On the other hand, America was the name given to the territories I claim to be called… America.

Somebody said that "if all the English speakers here disagree with you, then… ". Well, so fuckin’ what. If I’m correct, USA is the country with more native English speakers, as well as one of the most influencing countries in the World, so… whatever is the popular way of speaking there will become probably the norm in the rest of the World when speaking in English, and even not only in English. So given that we all are ethnocentric, and that USA can’t see beyond the end of their nose, there’s no surprise that according to them only USA citizens can be called American. And that becomes the norm to many other people.

Fuck that.

Okay, how about this: should people from Little Britain be called “British”, or should that term be reserved for people from Great Britain (skipping the Northern Ireland debate)? :ponder:

In common usage, “America” is short for “the United States of America.” It would be awkward to use such a long name every time you want to refer to the country. It’s as simple as that. Nothing to do with ethnocentricity or any other silliness.

And this is a usage that’s not only common in the U.S., but accepted all over the world. The fact that certain people (mostly Latin Americans) have a chip on their shoulder about this usage says more about their own insecurities and self-righteousness than anything else. People from other countries in the Americas of course have every right to call themselves Americans, but they shouldn’t be surprised when it just causes confusion.

Wait, who’s saying that?

Other people can say what they want as far as I’m concerned. If they follow along with our norms, well, that’s their business as well.

After Iggy, I assumed you would share your favorite Little Britain clip. :wink:

I would have, but I didn’t want to offend anyone. :sunglasses:

I’d call them little Brittish people. British dwarfs sounds mean to me.

Yeah, America is the short for United States of America, I know how people use that name. The problem is that “of” there, and the ethnocentricy explains why the meaning od that “of” has been forgotten.

Already explained.

That’s not fair. As you point out later “People from other countries in the Americas of course have every right to call themselves Americans”. The problem is not that some people have a chip on their shoulder, the problem is that some USA citizens tend to forget that America is not just USA, and believe it or not, these USA citizens do have a problem with other people using “America” for something different than USA.

Of course they shouldn’t, because we all know how USA citizens want to monopolize that name.

Some people say that.

Wrong. The “of” hasn’t been forgotten, it’s just been abbreviated away. The only thing our usage of “America” shows is that “the United States of America” is too long for people who place value on convenience to use consistently.

Wrong. When we’re using America as an abbreviation for “the United States of America,” it is just the U.S.A.[quote=“mad_masala, post:98, topic:87837”]
believe it or not, these USA citizens do have a problem with other people using “America” for something different than USA.
[/quote]

Wrong. Americans don’t have a problem with other people using “America” for something different than the U.S. We even do it ourselves: Central America, South America, the Americas, etc.[quote=“mad_masala, post:98, topic:87837”]
Of course they shouldn’t, because we all know how USA citizens want to monopolize that name.
[/quote]

Wrong. We don’t “want to monopolize that name.” It’s not something we really waste our time thinking about. It’s just a name, after all.

The only ones who care about such things are anti-American ideologues who harbor a deep hatred for the U.S., and see evil ethnocentric and imperialist impulses lurking in every corner, even in an abbreviation. Latin America does have legitimate grievances when it comes to U.S. policy in the region…“noun appropriation” isn’t one of them.

1 Like

Not that I heard. Some people say just about anything but it doesn’t mean much. Essentially, no one is really saying this. Whatever :walking: