USB modem for Mac OS/Linux? Suitable router?

I’ve ben trying to get a recently purchased USB modem (“R220 3.75G HSUPA Data Card”) to work with a Mac iBook under OS 10.4 (i can get it to work, but it takes forever to get started and the connection flakes once in a while) and an Acer Aspire One under Ubuntu (doesn’t work at all), but my patience has run out and i’ll return the modem, since it does not perform as advertised (it is described as working with both OS 10.4 and Ubuntu). As an aside, the modem works just fine under Windows, but the version of Windows i have comes with the internet sharing feature disabled, so i can’t network with the iBook.

Alternatively, as i’ve just found out, it appears possible to use a router that can use a USB modem to connect to the net and provide an ethernet (and/or wireless) output - that might be the best solution overall, since it would make the issue of OSs irrelevant.

If anybody can recommend a suitable USB modem or router, i am all ears.

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”](in another thread)
I’ve had very good luck with my Huawei E169 USB broadband modem, so I’d recommend it.[/quote]
Thanks - this way we have at least Ubuntu covered!
(More about this modem from Australia: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014221 - from these discussions it is also obvious that it works with Ubuntu from version 8 onward) :slight_smile:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Well, you could always get this
shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … W&ROWNO=11
It still has Wi-Fi, but it also has a USB port for 3G dongles.[/quote]
Ah, that looks like the kind of thing i need.

So, does your father use a 3G USB modem with that, as well?

Yes, he’s only got 3G internet, so that’s why I made him order the router, as they have two computers and both need access to the net. Would’ve been a bit pointless getting it otherwise, no?
That said, I have no idea what modem you have and you better check the compatibility list.
A cheaper option would be shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … Z&ROWNO=13
or shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … Z&ROWNO=11
or shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … Z&ROWNO=19
but I have no experience with either model.

I thought so, but couldn’t see that from the distance, 'cause i don’t know what requirements your dad has and what exactly this router does better than others. Needed your confirmation to trust my own understanding… :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW, which USB modem is he using?

Something or the other from Huawei

I am not surprised… :wink: Got a pretty good picture now that Huawei is the way to go… :slight_smile:

Well, they’re the most widely supported at least and afaik they have OSX drivers for their stuff, although maybe not Linux.

:slight_smile: I think they’ve got that covered: several Linux users reported recently (in another thread) that their Huawei modems have been working fine with various versions of Ubuntu (the “flavour” of Linux i am going to use myself).

Do you happen to know what OS the router uses/emulates to communicate with the modem?

No idea to be honest, I’d guess Linux, but I couldn’t say for sure. The router manufacturers have a long list of supported modems on their websites that you might want to check, as it’s not guaranteed that modems that aren’t on the list will work.

Went to that page again that you had mentioned and this time scanned it to the end - and there is the info (my suggested translation in parentheses):

[quote]成立於1996年,以自有品牌行銷全世界。
(The company was) established in 1996 and is selling world-wide under its own brand name.
公司規模達四千人。
The company has grown to 4000 employees.
具有強大的研發能力,並擁有自行開發之作業系統(Operation System)。
(The company) has strong R&D capabilities and has developed its own operating system.[/quote]
So i, too, would guess something Linux-like… :slight_smile:

Roger.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Well, you could always get this
shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … W&ROWNO=11[/quote]
I’ve ordered the modem now from the Post Office’s online shop ( mall.post.gov.tw/postmall/index.php? ).
(Tried PCHome first, but the site did not let me register - might as well, i have a free e-mail address with them and they keep spamming me :wink: ) Will let you know how it works out…

OK… a step forward, but not there yet. The router arrived, and much to my surprise its interface is in English, not Chinese. Looks like a smartly designed item and easy to set up, and the accompanying information is thorough and clear. But, as expected, that Royal USB modem i’ve been using until now does not work with that router, either, so i’ll now go and get a suitable Huawei USB modem and then come back here. :slight_smile:

Make sure you upgrade the firmware to the latest version and then try again. I’m not sure if that will support it, but it’s worth a try. Is the modem on their supported modem list?
You can find the supported modem list here tp-link.com/common/subject/3 … ible/list/
And the latest firmware here tp-link.com/support/download … =TL-MR3420
[strike]Also, what modem is it you have, as I can’t find any reference online to the model name or even a brand called Royal.[/strike]
Ok, found some details, but I can’t find a manufacturer as yet and it’s seems to be an exclusive model to Taiwan Mobile… I’d go with Huawei or ZTE, or even D-Link if you want some kind of support.

Nope… :slight_smile:

[quote]You can find the supported modem list here tp-link.com/common/subject/3 … ible/list/
And the latest firmware here tp-link.com/support/download … =TL-MR3420[/quote]
Yep. Got all that. :bow:

[quote][strike]Also, what modem is it you have, as I can’t find any reference online to the model name or even a brand called Royal.[/strike]
Ok, found some details, but I can’t find a manufacturer as yet and it’s seems to be an exclusive model to Taiwan Mobile… I’d go with Huawei or ZTE, or even D-Link if you want some kind of support.[/quote]
Manufacturer seems to be Royaltec, a subsidiary of Quantas - possibly limited to Taiwan.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I sort of figured out the last part, maybe time to get in touch with TP-Link and ask for some support from their side? That said, getting a config file might take longer than it’s worth waiting…

Well, with the weather being nice today i went around town and checked computer stores and phone shops until i found a place that had a Huawei modem. Getting online was a piece of cake with that, and now i am connected via the router, and while i’m bsuy with this forum, the netbook is busy updating the recently installed Ubuntu OS. :slight_smile:

:thanks: to Dog’s_Breakfast and The LostSwede for holding my hand along the way…!

Glad it worked, Yuli. Could I ask which router you finally bought? I’m thinking of getting one myself. I’m impressed that you got one in English, a rare find in Taiwan.

cheers,
DB

This one, following TheLostSwede’s report of successful deploymentt of one, together with a Huawei modem:
mall.post.gov.tw/p693/index.php? … 5100039505
And the modem i found is the Huawei E1820, although there is along list of others that the router is set up to handle (no set-up necessary, the router recognizes which modem you plug in and takes care of everything from then on).

The user manual is in Mandarin (trad. characters), but the router’s interfacei s in English.

BTW, i am using a 3G SIM card from DaGeDa in the modem, meaning my provider is Taiwan Mobile. The new setup has been on-air for 17 hours now, and the speed is very good - sufficient for my computers. :slight_smile:

The Huawei E1820 is a really nice modem, that should last you for the next couple of years at least, unless the mobile networks here do some massive upgrades. It’s good for download speeds of up to 21Mbit/s and download speeds of up to 5.76Mbit/s and I don’t think any of the networks in Taiwan currently support those speeds. Must’ve cost you a pretty penny to I presume?