Vaccinations in Taiwan

Greetings!

Vaccinations are extremely expensive in my country, looking to get them once I arrive in Taiwan December 2nd, 2015.

Specifically, wondering what kind of accessibility and price I’m looking at for such vaccinations as Japanese encephalitis and Rabies. I spoke with the consulate in Chicago and they said there should be no issues, wondering if anyone else has received them in Taiwan, if there are any preliminary steps needed, visas, documents, etc?

Thank you !

[quote=“FernwehTogether”]Greetings!

Vaccinations are extremely expensive in my country, looking to get them once I arrive in Taiwan December 2nd, 2015.

Specifically, wondering what kind of accessibility and price I’m looking at for such vaccinations as Japanese encephalitis and Rabies. I spoke with the consulate in Chicago and they said there should be no issues, wondering if anyone else has received them in Taiwan, if there are any preliminary steps needed, visas, documents, etc?

Thank you ![/quote]

cdc.gov.tw/VacUnit.aspx?tre … A4E003C44A
Click on the area you’re going to visit, and you’ll see where you can get the vaccination in clinic or hospitals.

Or take a look at this website where international tourists can get medical services in Taiwan:
cdc.gov.tw/info.aspx?treeid= … f8ceaabd8d

For Japanese Encephalitis Vaccination, you’ll need to stay in Taiwan for more than two weeks to get the whole three shot.
Price ranges from 4-6 hundreds NTD for each.
For Rabies, it’s NTD $ 1,130 according to this document cdc.gov.tw/uploads/files/399 … b36a1a.pdf

I need a Hep A shot and was wondering where I can get one. I live in Zhongli so anywhere between here and Taipei would be great.

I tried the links above, but one is dead and thought somebody may be known a more detailed answer than the second…perhaps some private clinics?

I tried to get it in London, before traveling here, but an NHS doctor told me it’s imposiible - apparently there is a mass shortage in the UK due to big pharma firms fighting each other or some such. I was fed up with the NHS for other reasons so when I heard that I just walked out without further inquiries…but am curious if there is actually some world shortage of Hep A vaccines?

you are worried about getting Hep A and want to vaccinate yourself against it?

In a nutshell, yes.

I got my other shots still valid from previous visit.

how common is it to get hep A though?? or do you just want to have a safety net vs anything shitty you could contract.

If you are teaching you should have been vaccinated against measels and chicken pox and the whole childhood thinghie. They are regularly imported and spread among schoolchildren. The Hep A and B and whatever else they have is helpful due to bad food handling being so rampant.

There was a big hepatitis epidemic when I got here, so they strated using disposable chopsticks.

From the government:

http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx?treeid=bc2d4e89b154059b&nowtreeid=ee0a2987cfba3222&tid=8A304578D2E7C2BC

As Hepatitis A cases in Taiwan hit new record high, public urged to get vaccinated to ward off infection( 2016-05-18 )

As the number of acute viral hepatitis A cases reported in Taiwan continues to increase, the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control urges at-risk individuals, including restaurant workers, healthcare workers, caretakers of infants and children, people with chronic liver disease, hemophilia, or those who have had liver transplants, people who practice unsafe sex, people who inject drugs, and those planning to visit areas affected by hepatitis A, who do not have hepatitis A antibodies are urged to receive 2 doses of self-paid hepatitis A vaccine in order to lower the risk of infection.

http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx?treeid=3847719104be0678&nowtreeid=05056b75c73beba6&tid=393E43104D28CEC7

Taiwan government initiated the Hepatitis B Control Program in 1982, and a series of five-year programs had been subsequently proposed and enacted. In 2011, Hepatitis B Control Program has been integrated into the Acute Infectious Disease Epidemic Risk Monitoring and Management Plan. The main strategies for Hepatitis B control include maintaining high vaccination rate, increasing hepatitis testing, and extending hepatitis treatment. A nationwide screening of pregnant women and neonate mass immunization program against hepatitis B has been implemented since July 1984. That program significantly reduced mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis B virus in Taiwan. The HBsAg positive rate of children at age six years has declined from 10.5% before the immunization program to 0.8 % in 2007, which has reached the WPRO 2017 goal of hepatitis B prevalence among young children to less than 1%. Nowadays, we still face several challenges to control hepatitis B. Immunization cannot interrupt all vertical transmissions of hepatitis B virus. Among infants born to HBeAg positive mothers, 10% will become chronic carriers of hepatitis B after even receiving immunoprophylaxis. The Hepatitis B vaccination does not provide life-long protection; therefore, vaccinees who had lost protective antibodies but had high risk behaviors may be infected with HBV if exposed. Moreover, there are numerous people living with chronic hepatitis B but unaware of their infection status and may unknowingly spread the virus to others. In addition, treatments for hepatitis B can suppress HBV replication but cannot cure the disease. We expect the above issues could be resolved in the future and look forward to further breakthroughs in hepatitis B control.

1 Like

I think you can get a Hep A vaccination at any hospitals or most of internal medicine clinics (内科).

I know about hospitals it’s just I don’t speak Mandarin and hardly anybody around here speaks English. And I’d rather avoid the usual language confusion when dealing with this topic. It’s quite fun when ordering wrong food or getting off on a wrong station but probably not in this case :stuck_out_tongue:

I also read elsewhere that hospitals may require some sort of registration/formalities, furthermore complicating the matter.

So I thought somebody on this forum could just recommend a private clinic or has a more specific advice.

both links are broken

1 Like

Most doctors at the hospitals speak english. You can get someone to help register you. I suggest Taipei Adventist or Taipei Medical University Hospital (i prefer TMUH). You could try NTU hospital too, but it’s not as English friendly as the other two.

Amd you’re more likely to have language problems at small clinics than the hospitals.

Mods help: I can see the articles when I open but I copy the link on top and does not open.

1 Like

Ok, I will try the hospitals. However, to answer my earlier question there indeed is a world shortage of these vaccines:

As the article says, it’s either very hard to find, or “expect to pay dearly”. Awesome :confused: