Victim of Fraud

Hi,

I need to find some legal representation or have some legal advice. 3 years ago I invested 1.million NT with a politician in Pingtung [name withheld]

The deal was brokered by my friend who is her daughter. I was supposed to get 500,000 NT back after 14 months but after 3 years I still have nothing and are just been fobbed off. I cannot speak directly [name withheld] as she can’t speak English. Everything was going through her daughter who was supposed to be my friend but they have both screwed me over.

I have a contract what they give (for what it’s worth) and I have proof of the international money transfer.

Any advice anyone? Does anyone know any English speaking lawyers I can use?

Thanks for your help

I think this is going to be a really difficult ask.
Truly engaging with Pingdong politicians could dangerous to your health.
First consult with a lawyer anyway. Try and shake them down for something. Whatever you get offered take.

I’ve edited your post to remove the identifying information. Please avoid posting anything that could be considered illegal. You may be correct, but that is for a court to decide.

If you wish to discuss Pingtung politics, please post in the Taiwan Politics forum.

As for your legal problem, you can always consult the Legal Aid Foundation (www.laf.org.tw). They have branches in different cities. In Taipei, they have English speaking lawyers (supposedly) on Saturdays. They prefer that you make an appointment first. There are also free (non-English speaking) lawyers at Taipei City Hall Monday to Friday.

I don’t know what legal services are like in Pingtung.

You can apply to the LAF to have them take on your case, if your income and assets are low enough. Otherwise, you’ll need to hire a lawyer.