Visa advice for a Sri Lankan (with Taiwanese fiancée)

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here, as I have searched online looking for information but couldn’t find any.

I am a Sri Lankan national, with Sri Lankan passport. I am currently studying in UK with my Taiwanese fiancée. We both hope to finish our studies in January 2016. We also hope to get married early next year.

I would like to know if Sri Lankans can get a spouse visa ? And if so, what are the required documents necessary ?

Also, is it possible to get registered (marriage) in Taiwan ? Would the immigration office accept marriage certificates from other countries ?

And lastly, does anyone know if a Sri Lankan on a spouse visa can legally work in Taiwan ?

Many thanks
Rosh

I don’t believe the Taiwan government differentiates between nationalities in this regard (except for citizens of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao), though there may be some differences in documentation. There’s an explanation of required documents here (assuming your fiance has a “household registration” in Taiwan like all Taiwan residents generally do)

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=6136&ctNode=778&mp=2

People married to Taiwan citizens with Resident visas can legally work here.

2 Likes

@tempogain: thank you for replying. It seems to me, from the boca website, that we need to get married in my country (Sri Lanka). It is not clear if they still accept marriage certificates if we get married in UK or even in Taiwan. i.e. can I go to Taiwan on a visitor visa, we both get married in Taiwan, and while I am there I apply for a resident/spouse visa. Would this be possible ?

I’m not sure. In my experience, they’ll want some form of certification from your home country that you are not currently married there. I doubt that you need to be physically married in your home country. If you get married in Taiwan, I think that would definitely smooth things. I’d contact either the Taiwanese consulate with responsibility for Sri Lankan affairs (in Sri Lanka, or India perhaps?) or if you intended to get married here, whatever consulate in Taiwan (Sri Lankan, ?) has responsibility for Sri Lankan affairs, or the BOCA for clarification.

did you go to Taiwan? and already married?

Not yet, in the process. Are you Sri Lankan too ?

[quote=“rosh, post:1, topic:155549”]
I would like to know if Sri Lankans can get a spouse visa ? And if so, what are the required documents necessary ?[/quote]Yes, of course… Once you get married to a Taiwanese here and have all the required documents, you can apply for the resident visa.

[quote=“rosh, post:1, topic:155549”]
Also, is it possible to get registered (marriage) in Taiwan ? Would the immigration office accept marriage certificates from other countries ?
[/quote]Yes, you can get married in Taiwan at the HHR(Household Registration Office). You do not need a marriage certificate from another country, however, you will have to provide a Certificate of single status from your country which have to be attested/notarized by a TECO nearest to your country(not sure if there is a TECO in Sri Lanka) and it must be translated and notarized by a notary public here in Taiwan… Take this certificate along with your wife-to-be’s household registration to a HHR and you will get married on the spot (You will need the signatures of 2 witnesses). After that, the HHR will issue you with a marriage certificate in Chinese as well as English if you so require it.

With the marriage certificate and all other supporting documents as pointed out on the BOCA website, go to MOFA and apply for your Resident Visa (also known as JFRV=Joining Family Resident Visa)… With the JFRV, you can then go to the NIA(National Immigration Agency) and apply for the ARC(Alien Resident Certificate)… Cheers and good luck.!!

Hi I am Sri Lankan. Did you get married ?

Hi sorry for the very late reply. Yes we got married and now residing in Taiwan

4 Likes

Hi I’m Emily from Taiwan, I got married with a Sri Lankan in 2017. We are planning to Chennai, India for interview of marriage registration. I’m very confused some docs preparation. In Chennai Taipei office website, they mention Taiwanese have to offer household registration, and single certificate with attest at court and indian Taipei association(this is like as Indian embassy in Taipei) that’s why I don’t know and confused how to prepare Taiwan part docs. Appricated you if you can give me more your experience

1 Like