Visa/ARC Options after Expiration of Contract

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“joesax”]
The normal procedure when changing jobs is now as follows:
[ol][li]Apply for the new work permit[/li]
[li]When you have the new work permit, your previous employer should provide you with some kind of leaving document, with your last work date being the day before you start the new job.[/li]
[li]Very shortly after you start the new job (and at least within two weeks I think), you should get an employment certificate from the new job, and take that, the leaving certificate, and the new work permit to the NIA. Give them some money (around 1000 NT per year of ARC coverage), and they’ll do the new ARC for you.[/li][/ol][/quote]
Thanks for that information, joe. So if my ARC expires on December 31, I would need to begin my new job a week or two before to be sure that I had enough to transfer my existing ARC, right?[/quote]Well, that would give you a bit of leeway just in case there was a delay at some stage. In theory you could probably start the new job the day before your ARC had been due to expire. But that’s not leaving much of a margin.

[quote=“barfomcgee”]It’s crazy that the visa rules are so complicated here… The school that sponsors the visa/ARC virtually owns you.[/quote]Yup.