Visa-free from England as of March 2009?

Since the English no longer need a visa to enter Taiwan, how does this work in the case of obtaining a work visa? It used to be that you would convert a visitor’s visa, but not a landing visa, right? So, in the case that there is no visitor’s visa to convert, do the English now have to go on a run out of the country?

Before our resident Scots grouch stomps on you, or any of the Welshmen are forced to come out of the closet, there is no such nationality as “English” in immigration law. If you want advice about immigration law, why not start by getting the basics right? British, right?

Visas may be convertible, depending on the terms they were issued under. No visa means nothing to convert, so you need a visa before it can become a work visa. If you arrive without a visa and are not issued with a “landing visa” then you don’t have a visa, do you? If you don’t need a visa, then you can arrive without one and they won’t issue you with one because you don’t need it. Visa-free entry, not “landing visa”, so no visa, so nothing to convert, so perhaps you can figure this out for yourself.

If not then there’s a big long thread about it, which I’m not going to link to because I don’t see why I should do your homework for you. Here’s the opening paragraph though, which doesn’t mention landing visas at all.

[quote]“In response to the U.K. government’s generosity and goodwill, Taiwan’s government will be extending visa-free stays for U.K. passport holders from the current 30 days to 90 days, beginning March 10,”Foreign Minister Francisco H.L. Ou announced at a reception to introduce vias-free travel to Britain.

He added that the initial 90-day stay can be extended for a further 90 days once U.K. travelers have entered Taiwan, the most favorable visa-free treatment that Taiwan provides to citizens of any country[/quote]

Visa-free is an option, it’s not forbidden to apply for a visa if visa-free entry is not the most appropriate for your needs.

Loretta’s post is offensive to citizens of the Isle of Man.

I’m English. I don’t need a visa to enter Taiwan. The English don’t have to go on a visa run to go out of the country. Neither do the Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish. The fact that you have said English instead of British is irrelevant. You state that the English no longer need a visa to enter Taiwan. This is factually true. English people used to need one. So did the Scots & Welsh. Your fiance is English so of course you can refer to him as being English.