Visa Run: Alternatives to a HK Flight

So I’m starting up a company, and unfortunately will have to do for a little while the dreaded visa runs.
Having to live on the cheap, I’m looking at other alternatives than flying to HK or other countries.

If you have a multiple entry visa to Taiwan, you can simply take a boat to international waters. It costs 3000NTD, a few hours, and leaves from Keelung. URL of the company: starcruises.com/newweb/main.aspx

A cheaper alternative: Taking to the boat to Matzu (1400NTD) and then to Fu Jo in China. You will however need a visa to China.

As far as i know you CANNOT get a “landing visa” on arrival from the boat.

Anyone got other tips?

Get a multiple entry tourist visa for Mainland China (visa agent in Taiwan?) and then do the boat/flight to Jinmen, then the ferry over to Xiamen.

I paid NT$6000 for the return ticket (boat and plane). Is a return flight to Honkers cheaper? Although you have to factor in the cost of the Chinese visa.

[quote=“Ed en Vadrouille”]So I’m starting up a company, and unfortunately will have to do for a little while the dreaded visa runs.
Having to live on the cheap, I’m looking at other alternatives than flying to HK or other countries.

If you have a multiple entry visa to Taiwan, you can simply take a boat to international waters. It costs 3000NTD, a few hours, and leaves from Keelung (Jilong). URL of the company: starcruises.com/newweb/main.aspx

A cheaper alternative: Taking to the boat to Matzu (1400NTD) and then to Fu Jo in China. You will however need a visa to China.

As far as I know you CANNOT get a “landing visa” on arrival from the boat.

Anyone got other tips?[/quote]

cebu pacific …NTD4000 return

[quote=“the bear”]
cebu pacific …NTD4000 return[/quote]
That’s a good one indeed!

air asia has free flights if you book a year in advance,
so if you know you will be doing this for a long time, book those 2012 flights now
www.airasia.com
some other companies have similar promotions,
cebu pacific air,
tiger air.

Is this really true?Just go on a cruise for a few hours for 3,000nt?My 6 month visa is up on the 18th ,so I need to do this next week.I’m living in Jilong!Is their office right there in the harbour?Should I just walk in & say"I need a visa extension"?I just looked at their website,but I can’t tell what to do.Have you actually done this yet?
thanks in advance

And how/where can people find out about that deal you mentioned? :wink:

[quote=“Ed en Vadrouille”][quote=“the bear”]
cebu pacific …NTD4000 return[/quote]
That’s a good one indeed![/quote]

The only problem with it is that it’s a red eye flight and the return is not until the next night (also a red eye) IIRC. It wouldn’t be so bad if someone lived in Taipei but the 4 hr bus to Kaohsiung at 2:30am (HSR was closed for the night) wrecked the next day. But it’s probably going to be my trip for CNY since the ticket savings can pay for most of the weeks expenses vs going elsewhere. Or substantially upgrade the trip.

PLEASE reply !! Have you actually got your visa extended this way,with Star Cruises?
Do you need a travel agent,or can you just walk into their office? Where IS their office? It is certainly not listed on their website.I googled it,and…NOTHING!

Does ANYONE else know about this? I really need to do this.I have been in Taiwan for 5 & a half months now,and have never yet been hired.I only got 3 lousy interviews the whole time!So I’m trying to do this visa extension as cheaply as possble.

The OP hasn’t logged in since July 1 - maybe he is in Hong Kong… :wink:
If you can’t find a number for Starcruises, you could call this company (travel agency):
太陽旅行社 SUN TRAVEL SERVICE
Taipei: 02-2522-2244
Kaohsiung: 07-282-3322
Naha: +81-98-866-0004 (they speak Chinese and Japanese)
(I haven’t yet had an opportunity to deal with this agent on the Taiwan side)

About Star Cruise: It’s pretty irregular. Last we called, there was a cruise on July 14th 2D1N which was about 10K for 2 people. That works out cheap if you can get someone else with you. Note that it only works if you have a multiple entry visa, or if you’re fine with doing a landing visa (90 days for many countries, 30 days for the others).

There would be a cheaper alternative, which would be to take a ferry to Kinmen (1400 return), and then a ferry to China (750). However unless you have a visa for China, you’ll need to purchase a return ticket in Kinmen and stay in the boat at arrival (i.e. don’t get in China’s customs). Nobody on this forum has done it as far as i know, but according to several people who have done the trip, it should be possible. Now it’s a matter of talking to the ferry companies, and seeing if they will agree to sell a return ticket (they usually sell single tickets).

Let us know if you do any of the two.

The visa alone costs NT$8,000, or something crazy like that. But I guess if it’s multiple entry…

Thanks for the replies.I think I should try the “Cebu Pacific” deal.That sounds really too good to be true!How could it be so cheap?

different business model. Absolutely no frills. No first class, no food/drink (purchase only) and IIRC no TV’s. It’s also a red eye to maximize usage of their aircraft. You get what you pay for but I’m mostly interested in the destination/cost and not the frills.

Here’s what I found on the Star Cruises Web site for their Taiwan office:

6F, No. 168 Dunhua North Road,
Taipei, Taiwan 105

Tel: +(886) 2 2175 9500
Fax: +(886) 2 2175 9501
E-mail: andy.lew@starcruises.com
Web: starcruises.com.tw

I just received a message from Teresa Guo(Kuo):"its a budget airline based in Cebu Phil.,and they do NOT “run the route from TPE/HKG/TPE”.So how were you folks able to do it?

I think i know now what you are referring to: :slight_smile:
You may want to check this out: Ishigaki Island (250km east of TW) by ship (2011)
:wink:

It says the next cruise is on August 18th.But I need it by July 18th.Oh well.

TPE/MAN/TPE…

Oh,its Manila,not Hong Kong.Do you know how to find the Taiwan “Consulate” in Manila? Or can I just re-enter Taiwan with my multiple entry,60 day extendable visa?