Visa, work permit & ARC: what documents?

Hello,

I am arriving in Taiwan next month and I’m trying to gather the necessary documents for getting a work permit and an ARC as an ESL teacher. I’ve searched numerous sources and read posts relating to the topic. It seems that each site or post contradicts each other and I’m confused on how to proceed further. Could someone give me a quick rundown on what I need for the Visa?

1. Do I need an FBI check or a criminal background check in order to get a visa?
  2. I won’t have my diploma until the Fall. My school is taking a long time to process it. What should I do to navigate around this issue? I was given a letter stating that I graduated, but will that suffice? I can also bring transcripts that will show that I graduated.

Afaik, nothing can happen with your work permit until they have a physical copy of your diploma. There MAY be a way around this, but I don’t think so. As far as the FBI check (there are many other threads about this) unless your employer asks for it, it isn’t required yet. There is legislation working its way through the system, but it isn’t law yet. No one knows if you need it because the real law isn’t out there for people to follow.