Ways to get people to speak Chinese (not English) with you

[quote]Sorry sorry mea culpa. :blush:

You actually pretend when they speak English that you thought they were speaking Chinese, now I see it.

Does the tactic work, though? Are they led to think that their English is so bad that it’s unrecognizable as such, and that therefore you assume they are speaking their native language in a very fast and colloquial way?

Or are they just left having no idea what you’re on about?[/quote]

Of course, currently I only have a problem with Shida teachers speaking English to me. I sit down in the library at Shida and they just start throwing in random English. I am paying them to speak Mandarin and not English. It pisses me off.

In everyday life I usually begin the conversation in Mandarin and people do not try to speak English to me that often. I even speak Mandarin with my buxiban owner. I mainly just speak English with my students and the other English teachers at my school. I don’t want to embarrass any of my co-workers by speaking Mandarin with them since they are English teachers.

Why what’s the big deal? I speak Chinese to most of my English teacher colleagues, even if they do mostly have TESOL PhDs from the States and no doubt speak far better English than I do Chinese – a lot of our contact is in meetings where it’s all happening in Chinese anyway.

If I was a Chinese teacher in England, I would find it strange if chats with colleagues and departmental business were (supposed to be) conducted in Chinese.

Has anyone suggested titty twisters? You’d be surprised how many languages a person can really speak.

???

[quote=“Buttercup”]People always understand a lot more than they produce. Most people don’t realise this. They here your toneless, bad Chinese and assume you don’t know much, whereas their passive English ability is higher, although they produce English that sounds like crap to you, and you think your Chinese is better than their English.

The better you get and the less ass your opening sentence sounds, the less likely they are to bother with English. People are pragmatic.[/quote]

Which brings up another very interesting point. In all the years I have lived here I’ve never felt completely comfortable with the opening line to use for chatting with local people. It often seems forced. Taiwanese don’t really use opening lines as much as most westerners do. Although maybe I never got totally used to asking somebody ‘ni chi bao le ma’, although it is a perfectly fine opening line to talk to people as much ‘the weather is great today’. Sometimes I will say ‘zui jin zenme yang’ 
again it feels a little boring to me. Perhaps the best way to do it is ‘ay, ni fa fu le ma?’, have you gained weight or my personal favorite 'weishenme ni de lian jintian na me hong!, why is your face so red today
nice.
Add that to the fact that most Taiwanese are not very socially skilled conversationists and sometimes it is hard work.

Yeah they do.

You’re back.
I’m back.
You’re off to work.
You’re just come off work.
You’re off to school.
You’ve just come home form school.
Been busy lately?
Had lunch yet? (ok you got that one)
(in the gym) Exercising?
(on the bus to Taipei) You’re going to Taipei?
Cute kid you got there.
How long you been in Taiwan?
Can I take a picture of your children?
Will you take a picture of me with your children?
What do you mea you’re going to smash my camera because I took a picture of your cute children without asking first?
Wow your kids speak such good Chinese! Did you teach them yourself?
Wow your kids speak such good English! Did you teach them yourself?
Do you speak Taiwanese? [Wife automatically goes into elaborate “Wakino wakine hilei dilei gong Gok Yu, m dilei wakino hakino Dai Yu kwalongbo tielongbo ane ane jakbong bangsai bangsai ng galligong” routine which never fails to drive me nuts when the simple answer, which I can manage perfectly in Mandarin all by myself, is “No, actually I don’t.”]

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
Add that to the fact that most Taiwanese are not very socially skilled conversationists and sometimes it is hard work.[/quote]

Sorry but that is just utter shite.

My favorite way of teasing them when they start speaking to me in English, before I have had a chance to open my mouth, is - with an absolutely straight face, in English - “I am sorry but I don’t speak English” and then watching for, in that fraction of a second, the realization to sink in
it’s priceless.

youtube.com/watch?v=N0sEHFeF 
 re=related

[quote=“grumpy”]My favorite way of teasing them when they start speaking to me in English, before I have had a chance to open my mouth, is - with an absolutely straight face, in English - “I am sorry but I don’t speak English” and then watching for, in that fraction of a second, the realization to sink in
it’s priceless.

youtube.com/watch?v=N0sEHFeF 
 re=related[/quote]

Man, I’m going to have to try that when I go back this Summer. Actually this May :smiley:

Interesting video by the way.

[quote=“jacktorrence”][quote=“headhonchoII”]
Add that to the fact that most Taiwanese are not very socially skilled conversationists and sometimes it is hard work.[/quote]

Sorry but that is just utter shite.[/quote]

Sorry you are wrong, if you come from Ireland you would know it from day 1. Most people here are quite guarded in what they will talk about, especially at work. For instance they go on vacation, come back and hardly mention a thing. They don’t ask what are you doing on the weekend in general. Many conversations often stop dead when you say you are not American or you are not interested to talk in English. Their breadth of knowledge is also not very wide coupled with this reticence. Add on the fact that talking about politics here is a no-no in most situations. I mean a MAJOR topic of conversation in most countries is how crap the government is doing, but most people won’t even go there because of the fear of putting their foot wrong or crossing the boss. Of course there are 20% that are able to hold a conversation but the other 80% can’t say much.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“jacktorrence”][quote=“headhonchoII”]

Sorry but that is just utter shite.[/quote]

Sorry you are wrong, if you come from Ireland you would know it from day 1.[/quote]

I don’t know
 some of those laoban’s can’t keep their mouths shut.

Not to mention the akward MRT conversations you get yourself, which is mostly listening to what people have to say and you just nodding your head and grunting.

Yeah they do.

You’re back.
I’m back.
You’re off to work.
You’re just come off work.
You’re off to school.
You’ve just come home form school.
Been busy lately?
Had lunch yet? (ok you got that one)
(in the gym) Exercising?
(on the bus to Taipei) You’re going to Taipei?
Cute kid you got there.
How long you been in Taiwan?
Can I take a picture of your children?
Will you take a picture of me with your children?
What do you mea you’re going to smash my camera because I took a picture of your cute children without asking first?
Wow your kids speak such good Chinese! Did you teach them yourself?
Wow your kids speak such good English! Did you teach them yourself?
Do you speak Taiwanese? [Wife automatically goes into elaborate “Wakino wakine hilei dilei gong Gok Yu, m dilei wakino hakino Dai Yu kwalongbo tielongbo ane ane jakbong bangsai bangsai ng galligong” routine which never fails to drive me nuts when the simple answer, which I can manage perfectly in Mandarin all by myself, is “No, actually I don’t.”][/quote]

I know a lot of them, but they are utterly boring to me
especially you speak English or Chinese crap or how long have you been in Taiwan
arrggh.

[quote]I don’t know

Not to mention the akward MRT conversations you get yourself, which is mostly listening to what people have to say and you just nodding your head and grunting.[/quote]

True, my old boss used to always come over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and yabber away in Taiwanese
then follow it up with a ‘xin ku ni’ - ‘you are hard working’ :slight_smile:

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote]I don’t know

Not to mention the akward MRT conversations you get yourself, which is mostly listening to what people have to say and you just nodding your head and grunting.[/quote]

True, my old boss used to always come over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and yabber away in Taiwanese
then follow it up with a ‘xin ku ni’ - ‘you are hard working’ :slight_smile:[/quote]

Wouldn’t 蟛苊䜠 mean “Work hard” not “you are hard working”? :wink:

Yes you are right, but colloquially it just means
 ‘thanks, you are a hard worker’. It was funny how he thought that I could magically understand Taiwanese, anyway I appreciated it, his Chinese was terrible as he became rich from selling land in Tainan to the High Speed Rail and founded a company in Taipei and moved when he was quite old.

[quote]
Sometimes I feel like a ventriloquist![/quote]

I know the feeling

Ways to force people to use Chinese on you:

Get a t-shirt printed with: 我聜䞍懂英文 on it!

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]Ways to force people to use Chinese on you:

Get a t-shirt printed with: 我聜䞍懂英文 on it![/quote]

They would still speak to you in English.

The only place that they will always use Chinese first no matter what is when doing things through the internet. I had to e-mail this one Taiwan group company because of some thing, and it had to be done all in Chinese. Part of the reason is that perhaps they don’t know a foreigner is the one e-mailing them, but assuming we make a lot of grammatical mistakes, they must either not really care that much to type in English or think we are just odd natives.

Well, not really a method for getting people to speak Chinese with you, but possibly a good way for getting rid of some of those odd people who randomly come up to you and start English conversations would be to reply:

ć°äžè”· ~ æˆ‘æ˜Żćąšè„żć“„äșș。

After you’ve said it you could cough in their general direction and with any luck they’ll flee!

I tried it out last Friday at Da-An park as I had half an hour to spare before my 1 on 1 Chinese class, I was sitting on a bench enjoying the weather when woman who looked partially brainwashed was handing out leaflets asked me if I could speak English, I normally just go for the I’m Russian or even I’m from Saudi Arabia - but I felt like a change. In all honesty I didn’t cough on her, but I squint my eyes and tried to sound a bit sickly.

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]Well, not really a method for getting people to speak Chinese with you, but possibly a good way for getting rid of some of those odd people who randomly come up to you and start English conversations would be to reply:

ć°äžè”· ~ æˆ‘æ˜Żćąšè„żć“„äșș。

After you’ve said it you could cough in their general direction and with any luck they’ll flee!

I tried it out last Friday at Da’an park as I had half an hour to spare before my 1 on 1 Chinese class, I was sitting on a bench enjoying the weather when woman who looked partially brainwashed was handing out leaflets asked me if I could speak English, I normally just go for the I’m Russian or even I’m from Saudi Arabia - but I felt like a change. In all honesty I didn’t cough on her, but I squint my eyes and tried to sound a bit sickly.[/quote]

And then?