Ways to get people to speak Chinese (not English) with you

Then she walked away.

In all honesty I think the “I’m from Russia/Saudi-Arabia” thing works better ~ as there’s a higher chance of meeting a Spanish speaking Taiwanese - (I know the last place I worked at held several Spanish classes).

Still, if any people bother me (for English practise) in the park or on the bus I’m going to be a Mexican with a slight cold - well for the next few weeks anyway.

Actually,

The easiest way I have been doing things recently is just correcting people’s English.

If you do that, correcting every single sentence that they say incorrectly, then they will get exhausted and resort to Chinese. It works even better if they are in a group, because they are quickly losing face with each sentence they are corrected on.

Also, this is what some of them really want. But even if they want to be corrected, it’s really exhausting and for me, most of the time they resort back to Chinese after a while.

Really? So its not just me being paranoid? On my first day here in Taichung I was in a cafe with my Taiwanese friend chatting in English (my Mandarin extends to “you look pretty!”) next to a group of Taiwanese girls. They were babbling away in Mandarin until one of them noticed me and started speaking in very loud English. Then they all started and switched their conversation fully to English. “Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they were speaking English all the time” I thought. Until it happened another time. And another.

Hello to everyone on the forum by the way. I arrived here about a month ago and hope to stick around for a few more at least. Later :slight_smile:

I dunno, people always speak Chinese to me for some odd reason. Perhaps it’s because I usually speak first.

If a Taiwanese person starts talking to me in English, I’m saying, pretending I’m embarrassed because i don’t understand English:
"不好意思,我聽不懂英文,我是法國人。 :blush: "
And since I’m a real french, it’s even more convincing (maybe my slight french accent :smiley: )
Because they don’t want to make me loose my face, they immediately switch to Chinese…or french :wink:

I’ve been thinking about this a bit recently.

You know, I can say a couple of words in about 20 or so languages, and I like to use them on the very rare occasions that I have the opportunity to do so. So why do I get pissed off when some guy comes up to me and says “Hello”? Probably because it happens so often, or at least it used to. Probably also, because there’s also an element of “I’m so cool, look at me, I can speak English”, which is just so childish.

But what about me? Why do I feel the need to say my two words? Am I showing off? Am I being arrogant? And if I’m honest with myself, I’d have to admit that, yes, I am showing off. Partly I’m also showing a willingness to attempt a conversation in their home language, showing a welcoming, friendly manner. Are Taiwanese people doing the same? Probably. So lets cut them some slack.

On the other hand, when I run into a Greek and can say “Kali mera”; or into a Russian and can say “Dos va danya!”, they are often shocked and pleasantly surprised that anyone in this far distant land can say even that, and moreover it often sparks a conversation. “Hello” thrown from a student on a bicycle after he’s just gone past you doesn’t achieve that.

Moving on, I’ve realised that my responses often depend on my mood, and on who and why the person is trying to speak English. If it’s the “Hello!” two words broken English version, then it’s best just to say “Wow, your English is very good!”, and switch to Chinese. In many cases actually, this is the case. Compliment them, give them some face, then switch. Most people are fine with that. Everybody gains, everybody wins, it’s really the best result.

With the parents who push their kids at me, if I’m desperate for work I’ll encourage them then talk to the folks about some private classes. If I’m feeling vicious, I’ll say “Hey look! See that guy over there! He’s Taiwanese! Go and say hello to him! He won’t think it’s odd, or you’re a bit weird, he’ll think you’re really cool!”

My main goal is to communicate (assuming I don’t desire just to be left in peace, in which case I will get very snarky very quickly). English or Chinese, whatever works, whatever is better. If the other person speaks good English, I’m happy communicating in it. I don’t need to speak Chinese with absolutely everybody I meet, and if they want to speak English and they CAN speak English, then fine, whatever. But if they want to jerk off and practice bad English to the point where communication is failing, if they are too busy speaking English-ah to listen to what I am actually saying, then I have no problem with grabbing the guy next to him, and saying (in Chinese):
“Excuse me, do you speak Chinese?”
stare “…Ah, yes…”
“Oh good, this joker here doesn’t seem to be able to. What I want is this…”
Usually gets results fast, and the pretentious git is standing there out in the cold with a major loss of face.

When I was studying at NTNU there was a student from Estonia who spoke no English whatsoever. She wasn’t pretending to make people speak Chinese to her - she didn’t know word one. She was baffled by Taiwanese attempting to speak English to her - even after she explains in Mandarin that she does not understand English. Would I question the intellect of someone repeatedly speaking a language to a person who has communicated she DOES NOT UNDERSTAND. Yeah, I’d say he’s a bloody idiot.

How do you think that situation would play out in the US? Let’s say Bill, the eager Chinese language student is walking around the New York Chinatown looking for opportunities to practice Mandarin. We don’t begrudge Bill this indulgence, because hey he’s just trying to practice and he doesn’t get many opportunities. Bill runs into an Asian woman and strikes up a conversation:

Bill: (in Mandarin) Good morning! Lovely weather today, isn’t it?
Lady: (in English) Oh, I’m sorry, I do not speak Chinese. I am from Japan, but I am studying English at NYU. I am very impressed you know Chinese!
Bill: (in Mandarin) Yes yes, lovely weather indeed. How long have you been in the US?
Lady: (in English) My apologies, but I do not speak Chinese! Have you also studied Japanese? If so, I’d be happy to practice with you!
Bill: (in Mandarin) I’m so glad to meet you. I don’t get many chances to speak Mandarin. Sorry about my tones, though, hehe, I’m still learning!
Lady: (in English) OK, I really do not understand you. Please speak in English.
Bill: (in Mandarin) I plan on studying in China or Taiwan soon. Which place do you think would be better for studying Mandarin?

At some point the poor Japanese woman is going to politely excuse herself or be screaming for help. But I don’t think we need to wait until then to decide that Bill is a moron, utterly deserving of contempt and ridicule.

Just be half Taiwanese like me and they automatically speak Taiwanese to you :slight_smile:

Or if your mandarin is really very good, speak it and they will soon go back to using mandarin with you, even if they started in english.

edit: good point GBH. I was made to feel stupid myself not long ago when I approached a (very cute) asian girl and started speaking mandarin. Rattled off a long sentence and she went blank. Then I asked her in english if she spoke Mandarin and she said “No, sorry im Korean”. HAHA.

Well all East Asians look alike anyway :slight_smile:

I cant tell a korean from a japanese from a taiwanese from a chineser, and I grew up in Asia .

I dunno, mate. In South Africa, or any other English country I’ve been to I speak English to anyone I don’t know (regardless of race, colour or any other distinguishing features) because I automatically assume:

1. They’re South African (or the nationality of that country), and
  2. They can speak English.

Therefore, in Taiwan I kind of assume most people would at least share my second assumption (conversely in Mandarin, of course).
If anyone ever says they can’t understand, I’ll try to communicate in a language they do understand. If we don’t share a common language, I move along.

[quote=“tommy525”]Well all East Asians look alike anyway :slight_smile:

I cant tell a Korean from a japanese from a taiwanese from a chineser, and I grew up in Asia .[/quote]
I have a reasonably good accuracy in this department. About 80 to 90 percent accurate. Here’s something for you: alllooksame.com/
btw, I kicked my wife’s ass in the quizzes.

[quote=“ice raven”] I’ll say “Hey look! See that guy over there! He’s Taiwanese! Go and say hello to him! He won’t think it’s odd, or you’re a bit weird, he’ll think you’re really cool!”

saying (in Chinese):
“Excuse me, do you speak Chinese?”
stare “…Ah, yes…”
“Oh good, this joker here doesn’t seem to be able to. What I want is this…”
Usually gets results fast, and the pretentious git is standing there out in the cold with a major loss of face.[/quote]

Maybe. Sounds interesting. Doubt they really know what you’re on about though.

Yeah right. Again, the Taiwani would have no idea what you meant.

None? An international student with no English??

If you say so.

What’s with the obsession to have locals speak Chinese to you? In most scenarios, I’m more than happy to let them choose. If they speak English to me, I use English. If they speak Chinese to me, then fine, we use Chinese.

I have known a couple of foreign friends here in Taiwan who have gone as far to say that they feel locals are disrespecting them by not speaking Chinese to them and using whatever level of English they possess instead. Personally, I find that attitude somewhat screwed in the head. Locals aren’t disrespecting anyone by trying to use their English. I really don’t get how someone could make the leap that they are being disrespected as such.

[quote=“k.k.”]What’s with the obsession to have locals speak Chinese to you? In most scenarios, I’m more than happy to let them choose. If they speak English to me, I use English. If they speak Chinese to me, then fine, we use Chinese.

I have known a couple of foreign friends here in Taiwan who have gone as far to say that they feel locals are disrespecting them by not speaking Chinese to them and using whatever level of English they possess instead. Personally, I find that attitude somewhat screwed in the head. Locals aren’t disrespecting anyone by trying to use their English. I really don’t get how someone could make the leap that they are being disrespected as such.[/quote]

Yes, you are right. In the end I usually encourage my good friends to speak English and practice because I of course want them to improve. Usually they say a few things, ask a few questions, then resort back to Chinese because either they feel more comfortable in Chinese or they got tired of speaking English.

In reality, when I see enthusiastic faces wanting to say a little bit of spoken English, I can’t help myself but go-along.

If you say so.[/quote]
I’ve met several. usually east European. Its not that uncommon.

If you say so.[/quote]
I’ve met several. usually east European. Its not that uncommon.[/quote]

K. Guess I need to get out more.

(but… seriously NONE? oh never mind)

I have tried speaking Chinese to a couple of Russians who claimed that they had better Chinese than English. Always ended up in English though. Maybe just my Chinese sucks…

[quote=“smithsgj”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“smithsgj”]None? An international student with no English??

If you say so.[/quote]
I’ve met several. usually east European. Its not that uncommon.[/quote]

K. Guess I need to get out more.

(but… seriously NONE? oh never mind)

I have tried speaking Chinese to a couple of Russians who claimed that they had better Chinese than English. Always ended up in English though. Maybe just my Chinese sucks…[/quote]
I know what you mean…

Whatever…

I speak what I want…

Does anyone on the forum have any experience of a “Language Battle”?

I have seen this mentioned over on the ChineseForums.com website but I wanted to get a Forumosa perspective on things.

From my own perspective my current Chinese language ability would not allow me to “battle” with someone and usually when someone reverts to English I am a little bit relieved.

However today I was buying something in the supermarket and I left with a strange feeling of being a little bit pissed off after someone addressed me in English straight away.

Maybe this is a sign of my progression with my Chinese language ability?

:sunglasses:

It might be annoying for you now, but it’s a really nice feeling once you start winning those ‘language battles’ at the first sentence.

I always answer in Chinese. If they insist on continuing in English and it’s clear they’re Taiwanese/Chinese born and raised, then I tell them, buhaoyisi, English isn’t my native language, can we please speak Chinese? I haven’t run into anyone here who persisted after that, and no one walks away feeling embarrassed, frustrated, or inferior.

Chillax a bit. They are probably just as excited to have an opportunity to speak/practice their English that they worked so hard on, as you are annoyed that you don’t get to use Chinese since you have worked so hard to master it (:

or

They are just as proud to show off the fact they can speak English as you are as proud to show off that you can speak Chinese.

1 Like

I say let them speak to you in english and you reply ONLY in mandarin (to the best of you ability). No reason both people have to speak the same language if both people understand both languages. Thats how people learn, by speaking.

YOu do not have to switch to english if talked to in english, you can continue in Mandarin.