WCIF 240v to 110v AC adapter

Hi,
I need a 240 to 110v AC adapter for my printer. It needs to have a capacity of at least 350Watts.
I looked around many shops in the Guanghua Market and found some really HUGE bulky transformers.

The other smaller better looking ones could only handle upto 100watts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

350 Watts? That’s almost half a horsepower. What kind of printer is this?
You won’t be using this in TW? Or are you hooking it up to a 240V source?
What?
I’m thinking you could hook up 4 100 Watt transformers in parallel, but something about your question sounds weird.

here’s is the link to the product description
newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6828112036

pls click on the “Details” tab and if you scroll down all the way to Hardware it says the printer uses 350watts in the running mode.

i bought this is DUbai where its 220v and need to use it here in taipei.

The manual seems to suggest that it works at both 110 and 220V downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte … ide_EN.pdf
It should have a sticker or marking somewhere that would verify that. I very much doubt that it’s a 220/240V only version you have, as even the one on Newegg is listed as 110/220V.

they sell two versions depending on the region (so 110v or 220v) unlike laptops :frowning:
the sticker on the printer says 220/240v.
thanks for the pdf tho, i’m going to contact customer service tomorrow on monday.

i’ve recently relocated to taipei.

Have you actually tried plugging it in?
It’s not as if it would fry like doing the reverse…

You need a 110 to 220V adapter, not a 220 to 110 adapter.

Also, DO NOT try to wire up the thing on a 240 V line (which do exist inside some breaker boxes). The kind of power inside those is LETHAL and absolutely unforgiving to the slightest mistake.

You might actually hurt the printer if you hook it up to too small a voltage, it’s possible I think, depending on the design of the printer.

Eh? The 220V in Taiwan can be wired up just the same, I have a 220V oven. That said, I had an electrician do the 220V install.

Why would the 220V here be any different than anywhere else in the world? 110V isn’t any safer, as you got much higher Amperage which is just as deadly…

TheLostSwede

Good question. What I meant was, DON’T screw around with wires in a breaker box. In theory, someone could hook up some wires inside a 220V source straight out of the breaker box enclosure and not have to deal with stepping up the voltage from 110 to 220, but it’s deadly serious.

You could maybe buy or make a (220 to 110 V) adapter and use it for the funky shaped 220 V outlet to 110V. It’d be a male plug to plug into the 220V socket-then wire- to female 110V plug that the printer would hook into and that’d be safe.

You let the electrician do it, that’s safer. But I still know a guy who had an electrician accidentally hook up the house as 220V, and it fried all his 110V stuff.

To answer your question, 220V is 220V. But no, Voltage is what kills, not amperage.

Take a car battery - 12V. It’s safe even though it can generate many horsepower. Low voltage, high amperage, HIGH power.
Take 2 pathetic little AA batteries. They can only make around 1/200th of a horsepower. Low voltage, lower amperage, LOW power.
But put them into a boost converter (a stun gun) Then, these 2 AA batteries can incapacitate you (it’s the high voltage which does it). The stun gun might be 100k Volts and microscopic amperage.

The real issue is that amperage kills, but voltage is needed to overcome the body’s natural resistance. So a 12v source won’t do much because your body’s resistance would not allow much current go through. However if those resistance were defeated somehow, like being wet or having an electrode puncture your skin, then it would take a much lower voltage to electrocute you. I don’t know if this is true (as I heard this from Darwin Awards, so it could be an urban legend) but someone punctured his skin with the probe of an ohmmeter and he was electrocuted.

If 100 mA makes it through to your heart, then you will die. Apparently it causes your heart to beat in a very damaging way, so having more or less than 100 mA will injure you but not kill you.

If you are hooking 220 to a breaker box, wear heavy rubber boots and turn off the power whenever possible. If it’s not possible to simply turn off the power, then make sure you work one handed, so that should you ever get electrocuted, you will get a burn at the most. Never work on live circuits with both hands!

[quote=“axiompremise”]Hi,
I need a 240 to 110v AC adapter for my printer. It needs to have a capacity of at least 350Watts.
I looked around many shops in the Guanghua Market and found some really HUGE bulky transformers.

The other smaller better looking ones could only handle upto 100watts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]

You should be able to get all sizes in the basement on the corner of BaDe Rd and Xinhseng Rd (near the Guanghua Market). The shop I’m thinking of is in B1 and if you were to go down the steps at the corner of the streets I mentioned, it would be at the diagonally-opposite corner. The transformers are located on the right-hand-side of the shop about halfway along, and at about leg height.

If your printer says 350W, then get 500W for a bit of added safety. If you find one that’s 500W, but you think it’s too bulky, then I really can’t help you further.

Good luck.

No.

Either hand or foot, or even a PINKY could provide lethal access if it it touches high voltage. If you want to add some clarity, you should say NEVER touch a wire with the inside of your palm. Because if it’s live, the hand muscles might flex/clench down and you can actually SEE yourself unable to rip yourself away. If you MUST touch a wire, touch it to the back of your hand, because if the muscles clench, you’re much better off grabbing nothing than a live wire.

Also, DON’T use your left hand, because it’s more likely that the electricity might go through your left side, down to your foot and disrupt your heart in the process. Use your right hand as it’s somewhat safer.

You also said that its the amperage that kills you, so long as the voltage overcomes your own internal resistance.

Anything over around 30 or 40 volts is potentially lethal in normal circumstances. Sure if you place electrodes straight on heart muscles, then a much smaller voltage could disrupt things. But in normal situations, it’s the voltage that kills.

Because hell, even MILLI or MICRO or PICO amps could incapacitate or kill people. And that’s not the range we’re talking about, we’re talking about amps in most cases. Hell, even a stupid AA battery can supply an amp continuously, but they’re safer than hell because the VOLTAGE is low. Stick a 9V battery to your tongue and you’ll see what I’m talking about. A D Cell battery can provide FAR more current than a stupid little 9V battery. It’s the Voltage, not the Amperage that is dangerous.

Perhaps a stupid question / observation…

Is it not possible to just plug the printer into the 240V plugs that most air-conditioners are plugged into?

[quote=“ValentineYeti”]Perhaps a stupid question / observation…

Is it not possible to just plug the printer into the 240V plugs that most air-conditioners are plugged into?[/quote]

Yes, you can just use the 220V outlets that are for ACs, did that myself.
I connected several different devices, which I brought from Germany and all worked well for years.

And to clarify the question if amperage or voltage kills you, just read about Ohm’s law.

(From Wikipedia, because I’m too lazy to write all this myself)
Ohm’s law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference or voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.
The mathematical equation that describes this relationship is:
I=V/R
where I is the current through the resistance in units of amperes, V is the potential difference measured across the resistance in units of volts, and R is the resistance of the conductor in units of ohms. More specifically, Ohm’s law states that the R in this relation is constant, independent of the current.